SAGE 2021 - Demo Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit

Overview

DOWNLOAD DEMO:
https://gamejolt.com/games/sonictripletrouble16bit/322794

(note: if you experience slowdown, try running your monitors in 60 hz)​

What if Sonic Triple Trouble had been originally released on the SEGA Genesis / MegaDrive, after Sonic 3 & Knuckles? This is a fangame re-imagining of the Game Gear game Sonic Triple Trouble in the style of the Genesis Sonic classics. The game adheres to the aesthetic and technical limitations of SEGA's legendary 16-bit hardware, and is made to look & sound as if it came out in mid/late 90's. What if there had been just one more Sonic title on the Genesis?

Fight against Nack The Weasel, Knuckles The Echnida, and Dr. Robotnik! Plus, you can switch between Sonic & Tails at any time!

Demo Contents (2021):
-Great Turquoise Zone Act 1 & 2
-Sunset Park Zone Act 1
-Meta Junglira Zone Act 1

-New level layouts additions!
-New Boss Fights against Knuckles!
-There are now two additional bonus stages! Pinball and Launcher

Character Moves:
Sonic The Hedgehog
-Drop-dash (Hold JUMP in the air)
-Strike dash (aka Peel Out, press UP + JUMP)
-Mid-air curl (press JUMP in mid-air to curl if not already in ball form)

Miles "Tails" Prower
-Tail Flight (Press JUMP repeatedly in air)
-Flight cancel (press DOWN + JUMP)

NOTE: If you played last year's demo, The Opening Prologue was cut from this demo to make the pace of the demo quicker. But will be back in the final game Special Stages are currently disabled while we work through some bugs.

Media

Credits

Noah N. Copeland (myself) - Director, Level Design, Programming, Music and Sound Design
Dee Liteyears - Pixel Art
Dolphman - Pixel Art
DarkVampireDee - Pixel Art
EmmaNerd - Pixel Art
KamiJoJo - Pixel Art
Savordez - Additional Level Design
Anonite - Additional Music
Dv2 - Additional Music
Kíbito Áyame - Additional Pixel Art
Lapper (Lewis) - Additional Pixel Art

Special Thanks to D.A. Garden, Overbound, Vectorsaytr, Alex K, Mr. Poe, Redhotsonic, and Heragaaa
Additional sprite sheets used from CyberShadow, Cylent Nite, RaccoonShinobi, MisterMan, Egg Master)
Header art by Wani Ramirez
Title Screen Animatic by Chris Melvin “ChrisRWS”

Sonic Triple Trouble 16 Bit is in no way affiliated with Sega or Sonic Team. There is a non-profit fan project.

Latest reviews

Honestly I can't say much since I haven't played the original Gamegear game, but from what I have seen and played, it's pretty damn good and I can't wait to see the completed product.
This game mostly succeeds at doing what it wants to be - a S3&K-like game. The visuals are very well done, the game probably never breaks Genesis limitations at all, the music is good, even turning the rather annoying prototype Knuckles theme into a slightly nice theme, the controls work properly, the game works as it's supposed to.
However, there are some problems...
-The insta-shield is entirely missing, instead replaced with the drop-dash, not even the one from the S3 Prototype, which makes the otherwise S3&K-feeling game feel... oddly uncanny.
-The first miniboss and boss pretty much lack any sort of danger - the first midboss can be hit even from the side no matter what, essentially turning it into this game's equivalent of the motobug boss from Sonic Chaos (8-bit). The first boss has only one attack and is very easy to hit, making it rather slow and boring.
-The badniks and obstacles in the first zone can't really hurt you much - most of them have small range and can be ignored entirely.
Overall, this is a good game and I'll definitely be waiting for the full version, and the amount of effort that went into making this feel into a legitimate Genesis game is astounding.
I'm stunned for words how great of an idea this is! And how well you've executed this idea so far!

Pros;

-nostalgia from playing this on sonic gems collection
-hearing all the old songs converted to 16-bit is wonderful!
-that ac2 remix for turquoise zone tho :O
-bosses for this are fun and engaging
-tails is so helpful during bosses hitting them and collecting rings
-dropdash and homing attack is always welcome!

it honestly feels like I'm playing Sonic 3 DLC. it's that good! [expect special stage, it isn't there yet in terms of presentation]

You guys should chat with the devs of 'sonic chaos' project. Maybe they've got some good notes and tips to help with your project!

I'm looking forward to seeing progress on this game!

Comments

this game is literally the perfect fangame and all the (currently) unused music in the files is a treat to listen to once you figure out how to convert it. i would like input remapping but since the game only has 3 buttons its actually not a large issue

Very excellent, and it's a good idea to make a different version like Sonic 1 and 2 on megadrive and master system

The best for a future release would be a sprite a little bit different!!

This is a good, solid implementation of a very respectable goal: more Sonic zones. The formula isn't messed with because it doesn't need to be. There are good gimmicks to help tell the zones apart. The art in the factory zone still looks a bit flat, and there's remarkably little threat throughout from badniks or other obstacles, but otherwise this is fine and enjoyable.

Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit

SAGE 2021 - Demo  Sonic Triple Trouble 16-bit

DOWNLOAD DEMO: https://gamejolt.com/games/sonictripletrouble16bit/322794 (note: if you experience slowdown, try running your monitors in 60 hz) What if Sonic Triple Trouble had been originally released on the SEGA Genesis / MegaDrive, after Sonic 3 & Knuckles? This is a fangame re-imagining of...

Item information

Added by
noahncopeland
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.50 star(s) 6 ratings

More in Fan Games

More from noahncopeland

Share this item