don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Sondro Gomez (SAGE '23)

Latest reviews

Easily one of the most formidable projects of the year, period. Even with its short duration, it is one of the better games I've played and I know this game has already a long story on SAGE, but like everything, somethings things come out when they need to, and from what's shown here, I think the wait will be worth it.

The graphics are extremely good, it uses the NES pallete to good use and the characters are colorful and easy to read, I found the animations quite good too and a lot of visual gags and I like the cutscenes that narrate the story.

I found the writing very fun and engaging, I like the chemestry of the characters and how they go on their adventures, I hope to see where this story ends up.

I am a sucker for Castlevania games(of course, the guy who made a Castlevania game says it), so the gameplay is very good over here, I did like the three of the characters, from the close-ranged Sondro, the gun-totting Juania and Spike and Ballast who are special snowflakes. I thought the three characters were fun to use and how they control, I love that the level has some light exploration and it encourages you to do so, this is good because the characters' skills allows you to do so.

And the crem de la crem is the music, it's SO GOOD, honestly those three remixes of Valley Village are extremely good and very memorable, the rest of the OST is very good too, it is easily one of the most stand out works of this game.

Overall, the game is very good, very good playing experience and very fun! As a bonafide Latino, I give it an empanada/5, good job!
Last edited:
Reactions: F108_Star
1694974657155.png

Had fun playing this! Art direction is A+, both with the ingame sprites and the cutscenes/outside art.
(The music theme got a bit boring hearing 3 variants of it in a row... I don't think this would be a problem in the final version where you'd play other levels before coming back to level 1)
Despite looking like Castlevania it's nowhere near as stiff, the game ends up reminding me more of Ducktales due to the variety of moves available.

Sondro's moveset is pretty good and I like the items available - I was frustrated by the slow grapple speed increase in some sections(although I appreciate you can grab a grapple point from above to instantly get max speed), before reading the manual and realizing those sections were meant for the bungee jump instead..

S&B was my favorite to play, you get tons of mobility and the level design explores all of it. I wasn't expecting the boat form at all! My only complaint would probably be that the level is a bit too long/easy as it is.

Juania is the weakest atm for me, you have to reload a bit too often which is annoying when hitting bells. Gun jumping is fun but entirely depends on the two item upgrades, so without them you're basically a stock gradius spaceship 🫠
Reactions: F108_Star
Greatness all around.

Solid mechanics on all characters coupled with clever level design that makes full use of each character's abilities and upgrades.

The soundtrack while it's just 3 versions of the same core melody, it adapts to each stage's scenario and oozes whimsical charm.

If I had to mention an issue, I'd say the charged attack for Spike and Ballast was a bit hard to figure out since they don't have a unique sprite for it like Sondro's charged whip attack, it instead represented on the HUD at the top-right corner. I feel adding an animation there for consistency and intuitiveness would help.

Not much else to say, it does everything it needs to do well enough to make me want to play the full game.

Comments

I only tried Juania, because I didn't realize they'd have different levels, but it played pretty well. Interesting to see Marble Zone with shootable bells. Some definite graphical issues--sprites, including the main character, are somehow drawn in front of the HUD, and there are a lot of places where there's clearly a missing tile so you see a gravestone or something with a black background instead of the right background--and it's frustrating when the long turning animation makes you fire in the wrong direction, but it plays reasonably well regardless. The level design wasn't purely left-to-right, and I appreciated that. The shoot-to-lower platforms have probably done their part and I hope there are other gimmicks in later levels, and the enemies could have more of a presence, but it's a good start.

I only tried Juania, because I didn't realize they'd have different levels, but it played pretty well. Interesting to see Marble Zone with shootable bells. Some definite graphical issues--sprites, including the main character, are somehow drawn in front of the HUD, and there are a lot of places where there's clearly a missing tile so you see a gravestone or something with a black background instead of the right background--and it's frustrating when the long turning animation makes you fire in the wrong direction, but it plays reasonably well regardless. The level design wasn't purely left-to-right, and I appreciated that. The shoot-to-lower platforms have probably done their part and I hope there are other gimmicks in later levels, and the enemies could have more of a presence, but it's a good start.
The graphical issues are done in part to be truer to the NES experience. Characters being in front of the HUD and graveyard tiles not having anything behind its tile is a thing the NES does because tiles are all single layered.

Thanks for the comment! Glad you're enjoying it so far. Definitely recommend trying other characters too if you have the time.

Item information

Added by
CellarChateaux
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.86 star(s) 7 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

More from CellarChateaux