don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 (Chapter 1 & 2 Demo)

General Information

Luigi and the Quest for Nothing 2 is the direct sequel to the award winning* fangame, in development since 2014.

Game History (if you care about that)
The first game, made to coincide with "The Year of Luigi" had a simple goal - to create a silly game in the style of the original Super Mario Bros., with references to obscure games here and there, with a soundtrack fully arranged by me.
A "director's cut" version had been released in 2017, redoing the soundtrack entirely and changing other things to make it more accurate to the NES limitations, as well as fixing other issues the game had.
In 2014 I started working on the sequel not knowing how big it was actually going to get (or where I'd be taking the plot), but I settled to make another platformer, this time in a graphical style inbetween that of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, scaled down to the Game Boy Color's limitations, as a large part of my childhood had been emulating several obscure games on the platform, both good and bad. So I ended up giving the game several aesthetics and references from those games, as I already had in the previous game, but taking it a step further, to make the game feel like it belonged in the GBC, as much as I could with Game Maker anyway.
Development started with the 7th Mario engine by Gate of Green Baron Games, formerly known as DeeY, CatezeeY, Gatete and other names - that was on Game Maker 8. At this point in time I had already decided the game would have roughly 5 "worlds", and decided on how exactly it would end. I would even hint at a possible 3rd installment... but not directly related to Luigi and the other two games. That idea is still not completely scrapped, but is unlikely that it will ever see the light of day.
A couple years passed, and I was still developing the game (as well as arranging AND re-arranging music, the more I figured out how sounds from the Game Boy sound chip SHOULD sound like, its limitations and whatnot, though this time around I was mostly using some music just taken directly from those same obscure GBC games I've mentioned before) and I had a slightly outdated copy of the source code on the cloud. But one fateful day in 2016, my external hard drive, who I bought, ironically enough, to backup important things, such as the game, was acting up due to a faulty cable... it would still work, until the day it stopped, and even caused my entire Windows installation to just... not work anymore. So a few weeks stranded on the islands of Linux, I still couldn't get that external hard drive to work again, and a new cable couldn't fix it. Nor data recovery tools. And to this day nothing that I've tried could bring it back to life... not everything in there was important, but progress on the game was there and it was lost. All I had was my backup in the cloud, which wasn't the most up to date thing, but it was better than having no game at all.
Before trying to regain the lost progress though, I decided to attempt something many would consider to be lunacy: to port over the game's code, from the outdated Game Maker 8, to the newer (but also outdated now) Game Maker Studio 1.4.
I was already familiar with it, but porting the game over meant having to replace a lot of now obsolete functions, and, possibly the worst thing - initializing uninitialized variables, for you see, we users of the classic Game Maker loved one very convenient feature that enabled a very bad coding habit for many - treating unknown local variables as zero... and the game's engine was full of them. It probably still has one or two of that in the code to this very day, but I managed to fix most of it I'm pretty sure... well, that came with other issues too, but those were eventually also taken care of. Fixing those issues and even other issues I had even in the Game Maker 8 version motivated me to continue work on the game, and eventually I added back some of the progress I lost. But one other thing was lost along with the source - my exact ideas for the ending, potential bosses and levels... just ideas in general. But... they probably weren't that great anyway. One thing I do remember is that the original ending would've had Luigi retrieving the "Nothing", and going back to Mario, who'd just facepalm in disbelief to this whole thing, and then... hang Luigi in a clothesline, saying "you don't move from here until I come back..." or something like that, for some reason. Then perhaps the potential "3rd game" would begin, with Mario this time. But Luigi deserves to shine, and so not too long ago I have decided to take the story into a completely different direction, since the original game was already a silly game with crossover characters added in for no reason, I think it wouldn't be bad if I went all out with the crossover aspect and make it a part of the plot. It still is a silly premise for a silly fangame at the end of the day. And in the last demos I've showcased I teased this aspect a bit. The same will apply here. In the last demo made during SAGE '21 the game had once again been ported over to a newer version of GameMaker, this time, the latest one - the 2.3 series (now just called "GameMaker [current year]"), and as a result I can now visually make cutscenes other than just programming them by using the new sequences feature, which is pretty neat. Of course that means I gotta stop being lazy and actually animate them. Eventually...
The transition process to the new version of GM was much smoother, straightforward and less problematic than the transition from GM8 to any version afterwards, so it wasn't much of an issue.
I used to have predictions about when the game would be completed, but not anymore, really. It'll be done whenever it's done, and I probably won't be making another fangame with this much content and ambition in my lifetime, so let this be the one.
*"Game Of The Month" award on the Mario Fan Games Galaxy website.

Plot
After the events of Luigi and the Quest for Nothing, a mysterious figure snags the Nothing away from Luigi. I think he didn't like that. So off he went again to find this figure, along with his friend, the Green Toad. But little did both Luigi and this mysterious figure know of the importance of "The Nothing"... As you go through the worlds you will meet new unlikely allys, who will tell you about what exactly is happening in the world... or worlds... or universe?

Features
  • Game Boy Color resolution and aesthetics
  • Customizable camera modes for better viewing and to better accomodate screen crunch
  • Additionally to help with that, several helpful visual cues are included and Luigi has some handy moves such as mid-air twirling from the New SMB series.
  • Many elements from several Mario platformers new and old (and other platformers)
  • Luigi and Green Toad as playable characters
  • Explorable world map inspired by Super Mario 3D World (it was 2014, you know)
  • "Spectral Flower" powerup, control fireball direction
  • A selection of great chiptune from the GB/GBC library, as well as exclusive arrangements by yours truly
  • Various mini-games, with more to come
  • Many secrets hidden in passwords
  • "Super Game Boy" mode with border
  • 2 Boss Battles (so far)
  • Luigi's "Plumber's Log" where he (and his new allys) puts down notes about things he discovers.
  • Technically available on every platform supported by GameMaker (with some know-how), with prepackaged versions for Windows, Linux, maybe Nintendo Switch...?

Completion
Story
90%

Levels
75%

Bosses
55%

Animated Cutscenes
15%

Mini-Games
78%

Overall
75%

Default Keyboard Mappings
  • JUMP: Spacebar
  • RUN: Z
  • SPINJUMP: X
  • START: Enter
  • SELECT: Backspace
Known Issues
  • A couple actions aren't possible to do or don't behave properly using the left stick on a controller as your directional input (Sliding down slopes and moving camera up/down)
  • If you have a saved game from a previous demo it's probably better to erase it. (Might be addressed when the demo build is ready)
  • Slightly outdated credits screen lol
  • As usual if you experience anything weird with game saving or if you get any error/crash please let me know.

Download
Version: SAGE '23 Demo / Chapter 1 & 2 Demo (Hotfix)

Windows (x64) Build (Compiled):
Attached (Mirror)
Description: The game compiled into C++ code, so it should perform better. 64-bit only, for 32-bit check below.

Linux (x64) (Ubuntu and similar distros) + Windows (x86) Build:
Attached (Mirror)
Description: The game with the GM runner for x64 Linux and x86 (32-bit) Windows. Both included for convenience, at no increased file size!

Nintendo Switch Build:
...well it is homebrew, but I'd have to get an okay from the SFGHQ/SAGE staff first...

Android/iOS/Mac/Xbox/PS4/PS5/etc.:
Get the Linux/Windows version above and... figure it out yourself...? The GM runtime version is 2022.6.1.40.
For smartphones a controller or keyboard is required.

Other builds/older demos here: https://lu9.itch.io/latqfn2
Reactions: Jsmoothie

Comments

Looks like there was an error when I selected "Options" from the main menu

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object obj_options_new:

unable to convert string "XInput STANDAR" to number

And anyway,
Your Game is Nice!!:emoji_ok_hand:

Last edited:
Looks like there was an error when I selected "Options" from the main menu

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0

unable to convert string "XInput STANDAR" to number

And anyway,
Your Game is Nice!!:emoji_ok_hand:
hmmm
which controller are you using? and which OS/architecture? (windows, linux, x64 or x86)

Platform: Windows
Controller: Xbox Series X/S controller
which windows though... 64-bit or 32-bit (x86)

if you're on 64-bit windows, try getting the x86 version (the 2nd download) and reproduce the error, if you get an error as well it might at least show a bit more information that could help me find the issue

After playing some more of it, I really like it! It has a genuinely dream-like atmosphere. I mean that literally: the whole thing feels like something that'd come to me in a dream. The intentional anachronisms, the unlikely crossovers that just kinda happen without a second thought, the rainy color scheme, etc. It's quite pleasant.

I played up until the second boss with the ink. Having to watch my footing, spin-jump the tiles, and make sure they're lined up with the boss was too much for me. I think it could use a nerf. Otherwise, I liked it!

which windows though... 64-bit or 32-bit (x86)

if you're on 64-bit windows, try getting the x86 version (the 2nd download) and reproduce the error, if you get an error as well it might at least show a bit more information that could help me find the issue

ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0

unable to convert string "XInput STANDAR" to float
at gml_Object_obj_options_new_Step_0

Same thing happened...

After playing some more of it, I really like it! It has a genuinely dream-like atmosphere. I mean that literally: the whole thing feels like something that'd come to me in a dream. The intentional anachronisms, the unlikely crossovers that just kinda happen without a second thought, the rainy color scheme, etc. It's quite pleasant.

I played up until the second boss with the ink. Having to watch my footing, spin-jump the tiles, and make sure they're lined up with the boss was too much for me. I think it could use a nerf. Otherwise, I liked it!
thanks for the feedback! interestingly, previously that boss was merely a time endurance boss where you just had to survive until the timer ends (and you even could, in some capacity, "win by doing absolutely nothing") but i thought the boss could be a bit more engaging so it is how it is now. i'll see what i can do, though i'm sure a lot of it is RNG. and again thanks for playing!

Isn't enemies hurtboxes way too thin? It feels like i step on them and they still hurt me
i'm not entirely sure. i don't have too many problems with it, though the engine itself is quite old - that said you can change the way stomping works in the options menu to be like that of SMB1 which is far more forgiving.

Item information

Added by
Lu9
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from Lu9

Share this item