don't click here

Christmas SAGE 2023 Normal Super Mario Bros. Trilogy DX (Early Demo)

Overview

Game History:
Since my Luigi game that you remember from SAGE also started on legacy GameMaker, and is currently being developed in the (almost) very latest and greatest iteration of GM (a very difficult task to do). I thought about what other legacy GameMaker things could be updated (though smaller scale things that, hopefully wouldn't take the same amount of tedious work to adapt to current GameMaker) and took a look at the classic, nostalgic, maybe a bit dated, but still Loved By Many™ Normal Super Mario Bros. series by gamester. I decompiled the first game and imported it to the last released version of GM Studio 1.4 (since it could import legacy GM projects unlike GM Studio 2/Current GM), and to my surprise, I didn't have to fix a WHOLE lot of stuff (obviously I still had to fix things, but gamester at least had the decency of NOT enabling "Treat uninitialized variables as 0" which was the bane of my existence when porting my own game over.) And before I knew it I was already making the game widescreen. So things were looking neat. Now it was time to do a second import, this time from GM Studio 1.4 to the current version of GameMaker which I don't know the name anymore, but I suppose it's simply GameMaker 2022/2023. Importing from 1.4 is much more straightforward and causes less problems, and yeah, the game was playable, from start to finish. I still had to fix a couple quirks that I noticed, but now was the time to decide what to do with this now... why not do a slight "remaster" of the game, adding some Quality of Life (i.e. checkpoints), widescreen (as I've mentioned), and a few more bonuses just because? It's a beloved "trilogy" that's over a decade old already, I think a tribute would be nice (also gamester, wherever you are now... thanks for everything. motherf***er) And thus this project was born. The plan is to port all 3 games in the series, with the first one practically finished, and because of the current version of GM, the games can finally, truly be multi-platform - Windows, Linux and even HTML5, which also works from start to finish. And not only that, but it also worked flawlessly with the YoYo Compiler too! (In short for those who don't know: YYC compiles the game's code into actual C++ code, instead of using GM's own "Runner" executable which simply interprets code and thus performs slower.)
What to expect for this demo:
  • x86 and x64 only Windows builds (more platforms later)
  • Practically 99% complete port of the first one (Normal Super Mario Bros.)
  • I'd say 65% complete port of the second one - expect MANY bugs still, no widescreen yet, but it IS beatable and already has a Couple QoL things
Keyboard Controls:
Arrow Keys: Move
Up: Jump (NSMB1)
X: Jump (NSMB2)
C: Run/Pick Up (NSMB2)
Space: Shoot stuff

Alt + 1/2/3/4: Change screen resolution
F2: Reset Game
F4: Full Screen
Ctrl + Mouse Click: Move Mario to Cursor (in case of getting stuck, NSMB1 only)

Credits

gamester: Original games and programming
deltonX: One bonus sprite lol
Reactions: Jsmoothie

Comments

Can't believe Mario Wonder 2 leaked early wtf...

There's genuinely a few ideas in here that are better than Wonder like the Mario Galaxy-esque section in the SMB2 game you made. Lots of creativity on display here and made me laugh a lot too. Very funny.

Item information

Added by
Lu9
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from Lu9

Share this item