Menu

Welcome!

Sonic Fan Games HQ is the largest resource for Sonic the Hedgehog fan gaming on the web and home to SAGE, the annual Sonic Amatuer Games Expo! We specialize in engines, sprites, music, gameplay, levels, gimmicks, the whole eight yards! Got a project you want to show off? Need some help with your game? Or maybe you just want to connect with creators and fans alike! No matter why you're here, hit that register button below to join the fun and start creating today!

1. Hey Guest!

We just updated our SFGHQ Rules & Guidelines. Give them a read, it might just save your life!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest!

Our pals from the SHC are going to be running the Sonic Hacking Contest a little later this year, a bit after SAGE! You should totally check it out by clicking here!

Dismiss Notice

Hack Sonic 1: REV02

Discussion in 'Creation Labs' started by conehead, May 12, 2018.

1. conehead

conehead E Rank Member

Well, it's time to introduce a hack I've been working on now for a couple of months, a basic ASM hack known as Sonic 1: REV02!

Doesn't introduce anything "new" per se, rather improves on what is already there (as in, bug fixes and such). However, there are also new things as well as bug fixes, such as...
    ...a remade level select, programmed to behave like the Sonic 2 Simon Wai beta!
    [​IMG]
    The Spin Dash, so you can get out of tough situations with ease! (and going even faster because the speed caps are removed!)
    [​IMG]
    The horrible Labyrinth Zone crash glitch being completely fixed! (yes, I did use debug mode to get there as I added a vertical scroll delay for the spin dash)
    [​IMG]
    Improved fading routines! Here's an image of the title screen fading out compared with the original game, at the same moment:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Not to mention one of the main features that makes this version the definitive version! The spike bug is gone!
    [​IMG]
    And many more, that you can discover yourself!

But yeah, I just implemented every single fix I could find off of the Sonic Community Hacking Guide onto a Hivebrain disassembly (credit to everybody who wrote the guides). I hope you enjoy it.

EDIT 7/11/18: Well, my hack hates me because something happened and now I can't build anymore because apparently almost everything in the _maps folder is pretty much corrupted. And that really sucks because I got a lot of improved stuff for this next version. I'm gonna see if I can get it to work with the downloadable source, so there probably won't be a version 2 anytime soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. Super Dirpy Fox

Super Dirpy Fox Just a random game creator...

Quite the simple ASM but I will say that I think it's pretty fun to mess around with. This is probably the definitive version of Sonic 1 on the Genesis. Also you could port the REV01 levels from the GitHub to your dissasembly.

Edit because double posting is bad:
    If you need it I have a ported Sonic 2 options menu smps that you can use for the level select music. Just DM me and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  3. conehead

conehead E Rank Member

First of all, sorry for the late response.

Second of all, yeah, I could potentially port the GitHub REV01 levels over to this new hack in a new version. I just have one question: Can GitHub levels be just directly copied over to a Hivebrain disassembly, or do they have to be entirely recoded? 'Cause I'm not one to do that kind of stuff.
    Also, I'd love to take your offer to lend me a Sonic 2 level select SMPS, I'll DM you about it later.

EDIT: Also, apparently the only level difference between revisions (according to the Cutting Room Floor) is a ring placed in LZ1. Were there any more changes or should I just port that?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  4. Super Dirpy Fox

Super Dirpy Fox Just a random game creator...

I think there are more changes. Also you can just port the levels between the dissasemblies.

5. Ronald Rose

Ronald Rose E Rank Member

I Love This Hack! But, Can You Fix the Level Music From the Sound Test as Well From the iOS Remake?