don't click here

Hack Sonic 1: REV02

zersfers

Formerly conehead i guess
May 12, 2018
the vast cold lands of michigan
Well, it's time to introduce a hack I've been working on now for a couple of months, a basic ASM hack known as Sonic 1: REV02!

Doesn't introduce anything "new" per se, rather improves on what is already there (as in, bug fixes and such). However, there are also new things as well as bug fixes, such as...
...a remade level select, programmed to behave like the Sonic 2 Simon Wai beta!

The Spin Dash, so you can get out of tough situations with ease! (and going even faster because the speed caps are removed!)

The horrible Labyrinth Zone crash glitch being completely fixed! (yes, I did use debug mode to get there as I added a vertical scroll delay for the spin dash)

Improved fading routines! Here's an image of the title screen fading out compared with the original game, at the same moment:

Not to mention one of the main features that makes this version the definitive version! The spike bug is gone!

And many more, that you can discover yourself!

But yeah, I just implemented every single fix I could find off of the Sonic Community Hacking Guide onto a Hivebrain disassembly (credit to everybody who wrote the guides). I hope you enjoy it.

EDIT 7/11/18: Well, my hack hates me because something happened and now I can't build anymore because apparently almost everything in the _maps folder is pretty much corrupted. And that really sucks because I got a lot of improved stuff for this next version. I'm gonna see if I can get it to work with the downloadable source, so there probably won't be a version 2 anytime soon.

ANOTHER EDIT 1/4/21: Idk if yall have seen the remainder of this thread yet but for those who haven't bothered, i am remaking this hack with new things. It's a bit complicated because i'm not tracking what i haven't fixed yet unlike the original hack, but i will probably get it done.

Attachments

Last edited:

TheGreenGuy

Sombrero Cat
Nov 20, 2017
Quite the simple ASM but I will say that I think it's pretty fun to mess around with. This is probably the definitive version of Sonic 1 on the Genesis. Also you could port the REV01 levels from the GitHub to your dissasembly.

Edit because double posting is bad:
If you need it I have a ported Sonic 2 options menu smps that you can use for the level select music. Just DM me and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: zersfers

zersfers

May 12, 2018
Quite the simple ASM but I will say that I think it's pretty fun to mess around with. This is probably the definitive version of Sonic 1 on the Genesis. Also you could port the REV01 levels from the GitHub to your dissasembly.

Edit because double posting is bad:
If you need it I have a ported Sonic 2 options menu smps that you can use for the level select music. Just DM me and I'll be happy to send it to you.
First of all, sorry for the late response.

Second of all, yeah, I could potentially port the GitHub REV01 levels over to this new hack in a new version. I just have one question: Can GitHub levels be just directly copied over to a Hivebrain disassembly, or do they have to be entirely recoded? 'Cause I'm not one to do that kind of stuff.
Also, I'd love to take your offer to lend me a Sonic 2 level select SMPS, I'll DM you about it later.

EDIT: Also, apparently the only level difference between revisions (according to the Cutting Room Floor) is a ring placed in LZ1. Were there any more changes or should I just port that?

Last edited:

TheGreenGuy

Sombrero Cat
Nov 20, 2017
I think there are more changes. Also you can just port the levels between the dissasemblies.

Ronald Rose

Green Hill Zone
Jun 3, 2018
Well, it's time to introduce a hack I've been working on now for a couple of months, a basic ASM hack known as Sonic 1: REV02!

Doesn't introduce anything "new" per se, rather improves on what is already there (as in, bug fixes and such). However, there are also new things as well as bug fixes, such as...
...a remade level select, programmed to behave like the Sonic 2 Simon Wai beta!

The Spin Dash, so you can get out of tough situations with ease! (and going even faster because the speed caps are removed!)

The horrible Labyrinth Zone crash glitch being completely fixed! (yes, I did use debug mode to get there as I added a vertical scroll delay for the spin dash)

Improved fading routines! Here's an image of the title screen fading out compared with the original game, at the same moment:

Not to mention one of the main features that makes this version the definitive version! The spike bug is gone!

And many more, that you can discover yourself!

But yeah, I just implemented every single fix I could find off of the Sonic Community Hacking Guide onto a Hivebrain disassembly (credit to everybody who wrote the guides). I hope you enjoy it.

EDIT 7/11/18: Well, my hack hates me because something happened and now I can't build anymore because apparently almost everything in the _maps folder is pretty much corrupted. And that really sucks because I got a lot of improved stuff for this next version. I'm gonna see if I can get it to work with the downloadable source, so there probably won't be a version 2 anytime soon.
I Love This Hack! But, Can You Fix the Level Music From the Sound Test as Well From the iOS Remake?

Reactions: Joseph A. Rose

AsuharaMoon

Green Hill Zone
Sep 13, 2017
I know this thread is kinda old, but.. eh. I had to say it sometime.

Here's something that's bugging me out (and since always on most S1 hacks):

Ralakimus

I'm going to the darklands
Sep 9, 2018
The spindash sprites are shifted a tile to the left from how Sonic 2 has them. The guide on Retro to port the move to Sonic 1 does that, hence why a lot of Sonic 1 hacks have it.

zersfers

May 12, 2018
Havent been on here in a while so imma just respond in bulk here
could you please add drop dash, anon?
Most likely no unless a tutorial magically shows up on sonicretro

I know this thread is kinda old, but.. eh. I had to say it sometime.

Here's something that's bugging me out (and since always on most S1 hacks):

The spindash sprites are shifted a tile to the left from how Sonic 2 has them. The guide on Retro to port the move to Sonic 1 does that, hence why a lot of Sonic 1 hacks have it.
Interesting, ill see what i can do to fix that (but as ive said before, i only followed a couple tutorials without knowing much about asm so i might not be able to do much)

Wow! Pretty cool, Im working on a hack too!
Thanks man and good luck on ur thing

i hope this doesnt break any rules :T

zersfers

May 12, 2018
time 2 respond in bulk yet again (im assuming im not breaking any rules doing this)

Like My Brother Said, Can You Fix the Level Music From the Sound Test as Well From the iOS Remake?
well idk wut "fix the level music" means
if it means "replace the music with the ios music cuz it sounds different" i cant cuz it would be 2 complicated
and also if it means "set the level music 2 any track in the game, from the ios remake" i MIGHT be able 2 do that but i dont know much about asm so :T

Do you planning for a new feature or other things like Super Peel Out, Drop Dash, etc?
like i said in my last post on this thread, im not adding any new moves 2 sonic unless a tutorial magically shows up on sonicretro

King Raff

Green Hill Zone
Apr 6, 2020
I love this romhack, but have a problem with a sprite of LZ slide. Can you fix it?
Sonic the Hedgehog (W) (REV02)_000.png

pmowery

Press Start Screen
Jun 7, 2020
Yep ive noticed that before and im working on a remake of the hack so it can be fixed
Hey.there's a new SCHG How-to guide about how to add the superpeelout. It's currently in Category:SCHG How-to; Sonic the Hedgehog (1)!

(to get there, 1) Go to the main Sonic Community Hacking Guide (SCHG) page and click the link marked SCHG How-tos and then from there, click the other link marked
SCHG How-tos; Sonic The Hedgehog (16-bit)or2)go to an already existing tutorial in SCHG How-toGuide, and go to the very bottom of the file but where you see other Sonic 1 tutorials in categorys; and after finishing either of those steps (yes, only EITHER one) you'll find a tutorial called Add SuperPeelOut to Sonic 1 or just Add SuperPeelOut. That's it!)

I hope you enjoy that tutorial and I also hope you add the move to Sonic 1 (for Short) yourself!

(Sorry for the bad English in one of the parts. It was because sometimes, my spelling needs to be corrected, but the way the text system in this site works gives me a hard time typing. Here's the correct spelling for 2 spaces: 'SCHG How-tos; Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit)' or 2)" and "SCHG How-to; Guide")

"Whoooooooooooooosh" (wind sound from me racing really fast. (yes, I have super speed.))

zersfers

May 12, 2018
Hey.there's a new SCHG How-to guide about how to add the superpeelout. It's currently in Category:SCHG How-to; Sonic the Hedgehog (1)!

(to get there, 1) Go to the main Sonic Community Hacking Guide (SCHG) page and click the link marked SCHG How-tos and then from there, click the other link marked
SCHG How-tos; Sonic The Hedgehog (16-bit)or2)go to an already existing tutorial in SCHG How-toGuide, and go to the very bottom of the file but where you see other Sonic 1 tutorials in categorys; and after finishing either of those steps (yes, only EITHER one) you'll find a tutorial called Add SuperPeelOut to Sonic 1 or just Add SuperPeelOut. That's it!)

I hope you enjoy that tutorial and I also hope you add the move to Sonic 1 (for Short) yourself!

(Sorry for the bad English in one of the parts. It was because sometimes, my spelling needs to be corrected, but the way the text system in this site works gives me a hard time typing. Here's the correct spelling for 2 spaces: 'SCHG How-tos; Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit)' or 2)" and "SCHG How-to; Guide")

"Whoooooooooooooosh" (wind sound from me racing really fast. (yes, I have super speed.))
Peel out is in :emoji_ok_hand:
I had 2 change one line of code so up+A and up+C can be used 2 activate the peelout tho

pmowery

Press Start Screen
Jun 7, 2020
View attachment 5541
Peel out is in :emoji_ok_hand:
I had 2 change one line of code so up+A and up+C can be used 2 activate the peelout tho
Thanks but there's still one thing: could you add the download link 2 the rom and source code like you did on the very first post on this thread? Because I want 2 have other users playing this to have the peelout too ; )

zersfers

May 12, 2018
Thanks but there's still one thing: could you add the download link 2 the rom and source code like you did on the very first post on this thread? Because I want 2 have other users playing this to have the peelout too ; )
I already said this before, im remaking the hack and i only added the peelout to this remake so it cant be released til im done

Reactions: SuperSonic