don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Toree Saturn (SAGE 2023 Demo)

General Information

Toree Saturn is the newest game in the "Toree Franchise".
It's a speed based 3D Platformer featuring a round bird with sunglasses and a backpack!

Run through linear levels from point A to B with a double jumping bird while avoiding enemies, collecting stars (if desired), and getting all kinds of little speed boosts along the way. :emoji_bird:

(New) Features:

- Toree has two new moves! The player can now use a grounddash in mid air to descend faster and get a speedboost when impacting on the ground, as well as homing in on special stars to get a height and movement boost.​
- New Looks! Toree Saturns artstyle tries to be a combination of late 90s 3D with some of the more crazy looks of the early Y2K era. It's like a natural evolution of the artstyle of the previous games... I hope.​
- Controlling Toree got way easier!​
No more Run-Button, meaning players don't have to hold down the right trigger for ages.​
Most actions (except for the trigger for the ground dash) only use the Jump button.​
Ground Dash is performed by the now freed Right Trigger of your controller (LMB if K&M)​

One last thing: It might seem I announced the game a bit too early. However, with the new changes and the overall feeling the game is going for, it was very important to me to get some early feedback on the gameplay itself and see how it clicks (or doesn't click) with players, so I showed it a bit earlier than I usually do.

I hope you enjoy the game and let me know what you think. <3
Reactions: MagicalArson

Latest reviews

As a Toree 1 and 2 fan, I felt a few things I liked and a few I didn't. Though the ones I didn't aren't really game breaking, I guess.

The main thing I noticed is the lack of precision. Since Toree is always running, he drifts a lot. I'm not sure if he always was like this, but in the previous one he certainly felt easier to make sharp corners by quickly letting go of run. Sometimes I kinda felt the need to quickly stop, even if for just a split second.

The second one imo is a little more troublesome. But the homing being the jump button means I can never quite do what I want. Toree will turn back and dash to a target that I had already passed, or, most importantly, I couldn't do the double jump when I wanted to. This lack of certainty over what Toree would do certainly made the game feel awkward and would detract me from attempting to lower my clear times (if the demo had more than one level, I still S ranked this one lol).

The best way I can describe is: The last part, with the 4 stars, You can easily (and unintentionally) go from the 2nd star to the 4th, and then you can't jump up the gap, because when you try to double jump you will actually dash into the 3rd star, and you now have to fall and try again.

I would really recommend adding another button for the dash (and maybe use another one to allow Toree to slow down so I can make sharp turns? idk lol, I can hold back on the analog stick, but I didn't feel super good when I tried it).

Outside of that, no major complaints. The level is fairly basic, and normaly I'd call it boring with how much it is just speed boosts and jumping, or the lack of checkpoints, but in the end it's just a demo, so no big deal.

Also, would be cool to have setting for how fast the camera resets with the left trigger, I use mainly that and it feels slow in this game

Anyway, best of luck, the game has been wishlisted for me for a while now.
Reactions: F108_Star
It was really fun to play! It's short but I enjoy trying to beat my own record!
Really fun! I loved trying to get faster and faster! Definitely would recommend!

Comments

Lots of fun, just like the prequels, but is there any chance of checkpoints? Not sure if there are any right now...

This is the first Toree game I've ever played and I really enjoyed it. Nice and simple but gives you that satisfying flow feeling when you're focusing and trying to stay alive. The dropdash is also a really nice addition. Character design is super cute too and I can imagine people wanting plushies of Toree.

One idea I have that you may or may not want to implement is maybe a little story/context to the game (in the vein of 2D Mario, 2D Rayman or Sonic games which both have a charming yet light story elements). In my opinion, I think that would be a good addition and push the game towards a wider audience. Anything which gives context to this nice little world you've created and shared with us. I can see you already doing that with the billboards and posters around which are a really nice touch. I'm not sure though maybe it doesn't fit in the vision of being a nice bite-sized chill game that you can dip into and out of (which I also really like), so I could understand arguments against it also. It depends if it fits into your vision.

In short, really good work, and I really like the Saturn style look. Very charming. Great music also.

Fantastic! Just the level of quality I've come to expect from the illustrious Toree franchise. The sense of speed and buttery-smooth movement have really been enhanced in this one. The colors also really pop. I love the billboards. And I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but the music is also great. It's truly really great stuff overall.

I'm assuming checkpoints are coming in later? This level's just a biiiit on the long side to do all in one-go for first timers. Also, it feels like the time ranking still needs a round or two of rebalancing. I cleared the level in 1:25 and got an S, but on the run immediately prior, I got a C by clearing it in 1:30. Or maybe it's not entirely decided by time?

The only thing about the demo that I thought was a little weird (not necessarily bad) is that, after getting a lot of momentum going and then pumping the brakes a little bit, Toree seems to still slip around a little bit as though you're still moving at the old speed. That might be my imagination, though. Things also feel slippery immediately after landing with the stomp move.

As far as suggestions go-- is there a special rank for collecting all of the stars and getting a fast clear time in the same run? If not, I'd love to see that added.

Keep up the good work!

I love the aesthetic! The controls and the squash and stretch on the chick are fantastic. The level design and obstacles are a little samey and get repetitive after awhile. The art and the world are great I just wish the gameplay concept had a little more character and was a bit more than just sonic mechanics.

Overall loved what I played

AAAA MY BOY IS BACK AND BETTER THEN EVER!1!1!1
It’s a shame I can’t really properly play it atm due to it running poorly on my pc (not the games fault, most games do that on my pc when full screen) and also uh… the game just straight up crashes on steam deck like the moment you enter the level??? Yeah idk what’s going on there but OTHERWISEEE I’m incredibly excited!

Item information

Added by
Siactro
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.80 star(s) 5 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

More from Siactro