don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Sonic Colors Demastered (SAGE '22 Demo)

General Information

NOTE - A few people have been having some issues figuring things out in the demo so let me clarify:
  • You need to walk ALL THE WAY LEFT in a hub zone to get to the world map. From there, you can select a different zone to play through. There are 2 ZONES in the demo, Tropical Resort AND Starlight Carnival.
  • For the demo, there are ONLY 2 acts in each zone. Acts 3/4/5 won't unlock no matter what you do!

Reach for the Stars!
Join Sonic, Tails, and a colorful cast of aliens to put a stop to Eggman’s plans for interstellar domination!

Sonic Style!
Use Sonic’s signature suite of abilities, including the boost, grind, and homing attack, to make your way through exhilarating, high-speed 2D platforming challenges!

Bright Lights, Vivid Colors!
Team up with the wisps to unlock color powers, powerful transformations that give Sonic new abilities! Zip forward at lightning speeds with the Cyan Laser color power, or switch blocks to solve puzzles with the Blue Cube color power. More color powers will be available in the full version of the game!

Screenshots:
Screenshot (40).png
Screenshot (46).png
Screenshot (43).png
Screenshot (42).png
Wisps:
BoostCapsule1.gif
WHITE WISP
These are the most common wisps you'll find throughout Eggman's Interstellar Amusement Park. Sonic can absorb white wisps to refill his boost gauge. Pick up white wisp capsules or defeat enemies to rescue them!
spr_WispCapsuleLaser.gif
CYAN WISP
This wisp is quite the energetic little guy. When Sonic absorbs one, he can turn into the electrifying Cyan Laser form! Use wisp crystals strewn throughout levels to find shortcuts and defeat enemies. If you hit a laser antenna, you can even travel underground at high speeds!
CubeWisp.gif
BLUE WISP
Sonic can absorb a blue wisp to turn into the three-dimensional Blue Cube form! Press the Color Power Ability button to flip blocks strewn throughout levels and solve puzzles! Be careful though, when the power runs out all the blocks flip back!
wispcapsulerocket1.gif
???
???
WispCapsuleRhythm1.gif
???
???
void.gif
???
???

Controls:
Keyboard:

WASD = Move
Spacebar = Jump/Select
U = Boost
I = Stomp (while in air)
O = Activate Color Power/Color Power Ability
S (Hold) + Spacebar (Mash) = Spin Dash (while on ground)
S (Hold) + I = Rail Drop (while grinding)

Controller (XInput):
D-Pad = Move
A Button = Jump/Select
X Button = Boost
B Button = Stomp (while in air)
Y button = Activate Color Power/Color Power Ability
Down (Hold) + A Button (Mash) = Spin Dash (while on ground)
Down (Hold) + B Button = Rail Drop (while grinding)

(control remapping is fully supported within the game)

Game Progress!
7%

Comments

Honestly impressive. Game controls well. This is a unique take on Colors that is fun and I especially appreciate the fact that you went out of your way to make a custom soundtrack - Starlight Carnival's remix especially is really, really good. I like how hype the remix is. The wisps so far have also been implemented appropriately. Trick/quick time event sections were satisfying. The cutscenes work well and I like the use of the Sonic Battle sprites, they look so cool. Level design is good and reminds me of Rush (as opposed to the Colors style level design), especially the parts when you boost through hordes of enemies. The button remapping works perfectly, and updates any HUD elements during tutorials which often full priced games don't even manage to do right! Game has a distinct and consistent visual style/design language. Skills section is also a good addition. The achievements also put a good smile on my face, like the "Don't Give Up" one lol. The only thing I think could be improved is when using the homing attack on chains of Badniks, perhaps increasing the range/speed upon which you can use the homing attack, sometimes I found myself pressing it too fast then failing because there was a required time gap inbetween the 2 homing attacks - but that may just be me.

The game almost feels official, that's how professionally made it is.

Honestly impressive. Game controls well. This is a unique take on Colors that is fun and I especially appreciate the fact that you went out of your way to make a custom soundtrack - Starlight Carnival's remix especially is really, really good. I like how hype the remix is. The wisps so far have also been implemented appropriately. Trick/quick time event sections were satisfying. The cutscenes work well and I like the use of the Sonic Battle sprites, they look so cool. Level design is good and reminds me of Rush (as opposed to the Colors style level design), especially the parts when you boost through hordes of enemies. The button remapping works perfectly, and updates any HUD elements during tutorials which often full priced games don't even manage to do right! Game has a distinct and consistent visual style/design language. Skills section is also a good addition. The achievements also put a good smile on my face, like the "Don't Give Up" one lol. The only thing I think could be improved is when using the homing attack on chains of Badniks, perhaps increasing the range/speed upon which you can use the homing attack, sometimes I found myself pressing it too fast then failing because there was a required time gap inbetween the 2 homing attacks - but that may just be me.

The game almost feels official, that's how professionally made it is.
Thank you a bunch for such detailed feedback. You saying that the game feels near official is a huge compliment and I really appreciate it! I'm also glad the changing of the tutorial buttons after remapping keys didn't go unnoticed (getting that setup was a trial but I knew it'd be worth it).

I'll do a bit of testing in regards to the homing attack and make changes to the range/speed if necessary. Thanks again!

Thank you a bunch for such detailed feedback. You saying that the game feels near official is a huge compliment and I really appreciate it! I'm also glad the changing of the tutorial buttons after remapping keys didn't go unnoticed (getting that setup was a trial but I knew it'd be worth it).

I'll do a bit of testing in regards to the homing attack and make changes to the range/speed if necessary. Thanks again!
No worries dude, thank you for bringing us joy! I'll keep an eye on your work because you are very skilled evidently. One more thing, played it on Steam Deck and it worked perfectly on there also, no issues whatsoever, so your game is also adaptable to different PCs too which is another mark of a great dev. Have a fantastic day, you deserve it.

Man this is really really good, got me inspired on some new ideas for my own fangame

Love that you use the Red Rings for the skill shop, adds a reason to collect them beyond doing it for the sake of it. Love how the Wisps work too, especially making the Cube Wisp so snappy. The remixes are super catchy and the cutscene dialogue is so good, way better than both versions of Colors. The achievements are cool too, especially with having so many just for 4 levels

The only criticism I have is Sonic's control in the air while jumping is way too high and makes some of the precision platforming segments extra hard. Other than that, this is a really really good Colors fan game and I can't wait for the next demo

Man this is really really good, got me inspired on some new ideas for my own fangame

Love that you use the Red Rings for the skill shop, adds a reason to collect them beyond doing it for the sake of it. Love how the Wisps work too, especially making the Cube Wisp so snappy. The remixes are super catchy and the cutscene dialogue is so good, way better than both versions of Colors. The achievements are cool too, especially with having so many just for 4 levels

The only criticism I have is Sonic's control in the air while jumping is way too high and makes some of the precision platforming segments extra hard. Other than that, this is a really really good Colors fan game and I can't wait for the next demo
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

This seems to hit every note I don't like about Advance/Rush-themed fangames--empty hold-right levels, badniks that pose no threat, limited graphics, too much talking, not much to distinguish zones--so I didn't spend much time on it, but everything does seem to be implemented well enough. The cutscenes are functional, the QTE sequence worked, there are decent visual effects, there's actual functional key rebinding available, and so on. it seems well done even if I disagree with its goals.

This seems to hit every note I don't like about Advance/Rush-themed fangames--empty hold-right levels, badniks that pose no threat, limited graphics, too much talking, not much to distinguish zones--so I didn't spend much time on it, but everything does seem to be implemented well enough. The cutscenes are functional, the QTE sequence worked, there are decent visual effects, there's actual functional key rebinding available, and so on. it seems well done even if I disagree with its goals.
I appreciate you giving the game a shot even if it wasn't your cup of tea from a design standpoint. Thank you for your feedback!

A simple recreation of the Rush formula and a pretty cool tribute to Colors. Really appreciate the whole customization available and the acknowledgement of every versions of the games. The shop is a great addition that makes good use of the Red Rings that improves the whole replay value and the different abilities add to that aspect too ! But more importantly I was quite surprised by those remixes who sound really damn good, easily the highlight of this demo for me.
I do have a few grasps with the gameplay though. The fact you can't change the direction of your boost despite facing the opposite way can be really troublesome at times and I'd say Sonic feels a little too soapy, the Wisps were also a bit awkward to use. But it didn't prevent me to have some fun with this game. Overall still a pretty cool demo.

A simple recreation of the Rush formula and a pretty cool tribute to Colors. Really appreciate the whole customization available and the acknowledgement of every versions of the games. The shop is a great addition that makes good use of the Red Rings that improves the whole replay value and the different abilities add to that aspect too ! But more importantly I was quite surprised by those remixes who sound really damn good, easily the highlight of this demo for me.
I do have a few grasps with the gameplay though. The fact you can't change the direction of your boost despite facing the opposite way can be really troublesome at times and I'd say Sonic feels a little too soapy, the Wisps were also a bit awkward to use. But it didn't prevent me to have some fun with this game. Overall still a pretty cool demo.
Bit of a late reply but thank you for commenting! In regard to the boost thing, are you saying that, for example, if Sonic is facing right and then you try boosting and pressing left, it bothers you that Sonic will boost right instead of turning around and boosting left?

Bit of a late reply but thank you for commenting! In regard to the boost thing, are you saying that, for example, if Sonic is facing right and then you try boosting and pressing left, it bothers you that Sonic will boost right instead of turning around and boosting left?
Yeah pretty much, from what I recall at least

This is a pretty good game. The controls are good, the music is nice to listen to. I just have 1 problem with the game. In my opinion the acceleration for sonic is a bit too high, so if you could lower the acceleration, then I would be grateful for it. Other than that, its a good game!

i have this bug where when i start the game and press space it wont start. its just stuck on the ''press start'' screen

Last edited:
i have this bug where when i start the game and press space it wont start. its just stuck on the ''press start'' screen
The default start button is the "Enter" key. Try pressing that instead. Control remapping is fully supported in the demo so if you want to change spacebar to be your pause button, you can do so from the options menu.

This is a pretty good game. The controls are good, the music is nice to listen to. I just have 1 problem with the game. In my opinion the acceleration for sonic is a bit too high, so if you could lower the acceleration, then I would be grateful for it. Other than that, its a good game!
I'll look into this, thank you for the feedback.

i pressed every key on my keboard.....didnt work
The game also only supports having one controller type connected at a time. So if you have a keyboard plugged into your computer AND a controller it will no longer read input from the keyboard and will only read it from the controller. Is the keyboard the only input device you have plugged into your computer? Also, are you playing on a laptop or a desktop?

Item information

Added by
RandomocityGaming
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from RandomocityGaming

Share this item