don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Rocket Knight Adventures: Sparkster Reignited

General Information

Whatisit.png

A reimagined version of the Genesis version of Sparkster that aims to create something new and exciting with its existing ideas and assets.

In this game you control Sparkster, a Rocket Knight who can use his rocket pack to launch himself past and through anything standing in his way. Being a possum additionally grants him the ability to use his tail to cling onto parts of the enviorment. Sadly playing dead remains an unimplemented feature. Perhaps that'll change in the next demo.

Defend the kingdom like the valiant knight you are...or at least like one level of it.

This demo contains a single segment and is released in the hopes of getting feedback to ensure the game is currently on the right track.

input.png

Supported Input types:

Keyboard and Xinput pads are currently supported. As of this demo rebinding is not implemented. By the time of the next demo hopefully both that and DirectInput pads will be supported. Thanks for understanding!

Keyboard Inputs:

Left and Right arrow keys: move left and right

Z: Attack

X: Hold to charge up your rocket. Release it when its full to boost.

C: Jump.

Controller Inputs(Assumes you're using an Xbox pad):

Dpad: move left and right

A: Jump

X: Hold to charge up your rocket. Release it when its full to boost.

B: Attack

screenshots.png

screen01.PNG
screen02.png

screen03.png
screen04.png

bugs.png

Features currently missing from the demo:

Pausing. Current implementation causes huge issues with the game and so it has been dummied out for this demo. This is the big one and will absolutely be my focus after this demo.

A proper main and options menu.

As previously mentioned: controller and keyboard rebinding is currently unimplemented.

UI is currently very obviously more of a debug thing than an actual UI.
Reactions: Foxysen and Sharb

Comments

I was pleasantly surprised to find other fans of Sparkster out there. It's a good start. However, the physics could use more work because it doesn't capture the original game's feel. The excessive use of explosions during boss fights is overwhelming. You could emulate what the first game did for the physics, as shown in the video link below (RKA Test). Although this game is a reimagining, you could also incorporate elements from the SNES game or the second Genesis game. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
RKA Test

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised to find other fans of Sparkster out there. It's a good start. However, the physics could use more work because it doesn't capture the original game's feel. The excessive use of explosions during boss fights is overwhelming. You could emulate what the first game did for the physics, as shown in the video. Although this game is a reimagining, you could also incorporate elements from the SNES game or the second Genesis game. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
RKA Test
Oh yeah the explosions are very obviously placeholder. They're currently there because I both couldn't find a better way to make beating the boss feel like anything within the time I had and to also mask some issues i've been having with presentation on that front.

I'll note all that down. Thanks for taking the time to give it a play.

RKA is one of my all-time favorites, so the original Sparkster was a bit of a disappointment for me. It was very clunky and gimmicky, so this is a MASSIVE improvement in terms of overall feel. My only gripe so far is that the rocket boost feels way overpowered. It's hard to tell where you're gonna wind up! Aside from that, I love how SNAPPY everything feels, especially the combat.

Can't wait to see more of this in the future!

RKA is one of my all-time favorites, so the original Sparkster was a bit of a disappointment for me. It was very clunky and gimmicky, so this is a MASSIVE improvement in terms of overall feel. My only gripe so far is that the rocket boost feels way overpowered. It's hard to tell where you're gonna wind up! Aside from that, I love how SNAPPY everything feels, especially the combat.

Can't wait to see more of this in the future!
Oh im really glad you enjoyed it! Yeah I have a soft spot for og gen Sparkster despite its issues but one of my goals with this project is to hopefully realize a what-if scenario of it being more in-line with RKA1 in several regards.

Thank you so much for playing!

Followed your progress on Mastodon and wow, the game's farther along than I expected! Had a lot of fun, and the only thing I'd take another look at are the physics. In the original games, Sparkster felt a bit heavier, which not only made the platforming more precise, but also made the jetpack feel better.

Can't wait to see more of this, I'm super excited to finally get a new Rocket Knight game. I wish you all the best!

PS: I loved the insane explosions when beating a boss. I assume they're placeholders, but it felt good.

Followed your progress on Mastodon and wow, the game's farther along than I expected! Had a lot of fun, and the only thing I'd take another look at are the physics. In the original games, Sparkster felt a bit heavier, which not only made the platforming more precise, but also made the jetpack feel better.

Can't wait to see more of this, I'm super excited to finally get a new Rocket Knight game. I wish you all the best!

PS: I loved the insane explosions when beating a boss. I assume they're placeholders, but it felt good.

Glad you had a fun time!! Yeah the explosions are placeholder but enough people have got something out of it that I'm tempted to add an "absurd explosion" option or something to later builds. Physics are absolutely due some revision as well. Thanks for taking the time to play!

Ok, played this one as the first demo I have tried on SAGE 23.

I wasn't quite sure of the high concept of the game so I wasn't sure of context to give feedback. Was it supposed to be a new game in trilogy which would combine all elements or perhaps more of remake? Albeit, reading project info again and author commentaries, I can see that it's Gen Sparkster done more like a direct sequel. (Tho a bit of pigs return would be cool, or mix of enemies from all games. Can't say I like lizards yet much in Sparkster games.)

I have played the game and I would say that right now it feels like early Sonic fangames. Which makes sense, as while Sonic has been fully analysed and pulled apart to the point where we have frameworks and ready made material for anyone to jump it, everything has to be done anew on Sparksters, such as figuring out original game design and ideas, recoding or doing own physics on new game engines, pulling out visuals, etc. So it's rather rough right now. Stages are very spacious, unlike original RKA which was linear 'boss rush'-like with professional team working on each short stage to be full of events and story. The timing (rock ambush taking too long) and physics are off for now, it's loose.

But the author got rocket boost mechanic going and that's very neat, even if you get sent very far, there is some fun to be had with boss battles. It did feel confused by enemies mostly standing in place, plus confused by turrets not being destructable despite looking the attackable type. I did laugh out when I beat the first boss, as the stocky explosions graphics, their suddeness, the quantity, and very stock explosion sound did make it feel like comedy. Also not sure if final boss screws are supposed to react to sword projectiles.

In full context, knowing author current skill level and how little of Sparkster framework is available, I would say that it's a good job. The first milestone should be "just feel like Sparkster no matter how loose". It does that. Many wonderful things can be done from there.

Personally I would enjoy the game having more of its own or author voice in high concept, this way it will be fun to explore. But will see!

Item information

Added by
Bigbeandotgov
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item