don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Complete F-Zero Pocket

General Information

FZP_Logo.png

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines!

The call has echoed throughout the universe once again: the F-Zero Grand Prix is back!

Select one of the 30 most skillful drivers of all-time and boost your way to the top in "F-Zero Pocket", a racing fan-game made as a tribute to both the GameBoy Color and the F-Zero series.

20 tracks divided in 4 cups and 4 levels of difficulty: are you up to the task?

FYtF7Z.png

Race your way to the top!

Each car has its own characteristic, and it is up to you to find which one suits you best! Will it be the Blue Falcon of the reining champion Captain Falcon? The fast Iron Tiger of Baba? The flying Little Wyvern of James McCloud? Or maybe the impressive Black Bull of Falcon's nemesis, Black Shadow?

You get to choose and to race across Mute City, Big Blue, Red Canyon and 7 other locations!

hAgs2w.png

Your opponents will put on the fight of their life to win the Grand Prix!

Multiple game modes are available: the classic Grand Prix, in which you race 5 races in succession in an unforgiving championship, Quick Race should you feel the need to just drive a single race or Time Attack to chase down the fastest time! Win Grand Prix Cups in various difficulties to unlock more and more drivers!

And if it isn't enough...

You can also create your own track with only a notepad! It is relatively easy to understand and quick to set up, and you can virtually add as many tracks as you want to the game! A tutorial is included in the game's booklet.

So, are you ready to show Captain Falcon your moves? Are you ready to become the fastest driver alive and get to the top of the F-Zero Grand Prix?

pRJ5GG.png

The tracks are filled with various tricks, such as slower sections, lava or jumpads!

(Included in the download are the game, the track files and an instructions booklet)

Default controls

The game works with the same amount of button a classic GameBoy game does:
  • A-Button is mapped to the "X" key to accelerate/validate.
  • B-Button is mapped to the "C" key to brake/cancel.
  • Start button is mapped to the "Enter/Return" key to pause/validate.
  • D-pad is mapped to the keyboard keys to steer the car, boost (by pressing Up) and move the cursor in menu/pause.
As for Gamepads, the game has only been tested with a Xbox360 gamepad with the following mapping:
  • A-Button is mapped to the "A" button to accelerate/validate.
  • B-Button is mapped to the "X" button to brake/cancel.
  • Start button is mapped to the "Start" button to pause/validate.
  • D-pad is mapped to both the Left Joystick and the D-Pad to steer the car, boost (by pressing Up) and move the cursor in menu/pause.
  • Boosting can also be done by pressing the "Y" button or the shoulders "LB"/"RB" buttons.

You can remap the controls in the "Options" menu by selecting the "Set Inputs" choice. Make sure to go to the bottom of that screen to validate your changes.

screen012.png

Will YOU be the Grand Prix Champion?

Ich.io page of the game: https://linky439.itch.io/f-zero-pocket
Reactions: J Lawal

Latest reviews

I admire the effort and intention behind this project, the fact they're giving F-Zero some love is admirable. I don't like racing games, but I do have my exceptions and F Zero is one of the ones I really like and it is great to see people still remembering it.
It does help that the graphics help to make it look like a gb title, they are appealing to see and really well drawn, so I don't have any complains, that point is perfect.
I'd like GB renditions of the familiar songs so it matches with the graphics, I mean the F Zero ost is good but I want something for it to match together at least.

Unfortunately I have to dock points for a massive flaw of this game, the balance, it is VERY hard to squeeze a win, nigh impossible in fact, I could only place third in a track and putting it on easy, and in mute city there is a VERY sharp corner that I can't pass unless I slow down a lot and that ends up putting me on last place no matter how careful I am with it, is like everyone drives perfectly and there's no drift or whatever to improve my turning. Because of this balance issue, I could not enjoy the game, it became frustrating to me and it is a shame, because the rest is alright.

I'd want if you improved the turning or added some sort of drift so I can cross sharp corners or hell, just shorten those alltogether!

Nevertheless, I respect your intention here, and I do hope you keep improving and making stuff.
Linky439
Linky439
Hello!

About the soundtrack, I agree with you, having GB renditions of those tracks would have been the icing on the cake, but I am no musician and with this being a side project I couldn't find the time to search for anyone to make the soundtrack.

I understand the handling is quite difficult to get. I got used to it very quickly since I know how it works, but a lot of people seem to struggle with the turning. What car did you use? I feel like new players kinda dig Samurai Goroh for the first cups with his great top speed.
I do agree though, Mute City I is too brutal of a first track because of that last turn.

The difficulty balance is overall what I regret the most about this game, as the tracks were put together quite rapidly at the end of the dev time. Thanks for the feedback, this game is now 3 years old and I have kept on making stuff. I have another game on this SAGE named HooperVania, which isn't a cakewalk but has a better balance than F-Zero Pocket!
StrudelKnecht
StrudelKnecht
It seems promising but I will not get most of the in-jokes so I am in the fence about playing it, but I do like Castlevania a lot, I mean I did a Castlevania game too, so I might check it at some point. Anyways, thank you for answering very polite of your part, I was using Captain Falcon BTW.
Linky439
Linky439
There are some jokes you won't get yes (level 2 is probably the most "jokey" one), but I strongly believe the game can easily be played by anyone, especially retro-gamers. You might just encounter a couple of weird things you don't really get, but it wasn't that uncommon back in the day as well! ^^

Comments

Honestly, this seems insanely fun, but I'm having issues clearing the first race. Near the end, its got a very long Right Turn that, even if I start from the very inside & hold Right, I just keep drifting over to the Left, Losing Speed & Health.

I can't tell if I'm missing something to help me turn and its intentional, or if its a level design quirk not yet fixed...

Honestly, this seems insanely fun, but I'm having issues clearing the first race. Near the end, its got a very long Right Turn that, even if I start from the very inside & hold Right, I just keep drifting over to the Left, Losing Speed & Health.

I can't tell if I'm missing something to help me turn and its intentional, or if its a level design quirk not yet fixed...
Thanks for giving the game a shot! The handling is a bit tricky to get at first and there are corners which will always be a bit problematic to take. Make sure you slow down (just releasing the throttle should do it) to help you turn in those tight corners. I admit some races are quite hard to win (especially in later difficulties, and the first one is actually quite a challenge) but Grand Prix are winnable as there are 5 races in each!

My advice would be to secure this particular corner by slowing enough to stay away from the "mud" part and then boost your way to the finish line!

Absolutely nails both the speed of an F-Zero title and having authentically crunchy visuals to give the impression of a GBC title. I also particularly appreciate the choice of midi for the soundtrack. My only real complaint is that the difficulty curve feels a little scuffed but im not sure how much of that is me having a skill issue

Absolutely nails both the speed of an F-Zero title and having authentically crunchy visuals to give the impression of a GBC title. I also particularly appreciate the choice of midi for the soundtrack. My only real complaint is that the difficulty curve feels a little scuffed but im not sure how much of that is me having a skill issue
Thank you so much! The soundtrack comes straight from two of the three F-Zero GBA game (I wished I could have included some from Maximum Velocity but it doesn't share the same music and locations with the other two and I wouldn't be able to do the final lap music change)

I do agree with the difficulty curve. I created most of these tracks in a very short span of time, and I think being the developer I knew how to precisely handle these cars but they do behave a bit weirdly. Do not hesitate to play some cups in Easy to unlock a few drivers you may find easier to win with! (I should have included a special code or something to unlock some stuff like in the good old days ^^)
Also, I feel like the first two cups have faster AI than the two final ones, but the last tracks are harder to survive to as well. Goroh is usually a nice choice for starters if I recall correctly the returns of other players!

Item information

Added by
Linky439
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from Linky439