don't click here

AdventNEON

General Information

UPDATE!: NEW POST-SAGE DEMO IS NOW LIVE! DOWNLOAD IT BY CLICKING HERE!
(The older SAGE2020 [REV-001] demo is still available as an attached zip file next to this post. However, download the postSAGE.zip, or click the link above to get the latest version.)

AdventNEON is a solo-developed passion project meant to combine a ton of the inspirations I've had growing up into a single character and game.

With a focus on accessible, yet nuanced mechanics, speed, flash and tons of immediate power scaling, this game's meant to make anyone feel incredible as they tear through the opposition!

If you've enjoyed any of Sonic the Hedgehog, Megaman, Super Smash Bros and Celeste, I highly recommend trying this game out!

CONTROLS
(Configure keyboard or gamepad controls in the options menu.)
[Action]: [Keyboard input] -- [Gamepad input]
Move: WSAD/Arrows -- Left Stick/D-Pad
Jump: Space/C -- Bottom Face/Left Bumper
Punch: P/Z -- Left Face/Right Face + Direction
Dash: O/X -- Top Face/Right Bumper + Direction
Break Attack: Hold Dash + Press Punch + Direction (Can also be done with the Right Stick on Gamepad.)
"Tap up to Jump" can be set.
Gamepad Stick Deadzone can be set between 10% and 85% of the gate radius.
To ensure your gamepad controls are working, you can open a Visualizer for your inputs by going to Options -> Video -> Display Inputs. These show the realtime inputs from your controller regardless of what else is happening ingame.

MECHANICS
Directional Attacks - Similar to platform fighters, you get an entire moveset of grounded and aerial moves that change with the held direction!
Attack Chaining/Canceling - Ever play Turbo Mode in Smash Bros? Basically, land an attack and you can cancel into whatever the heck else you want.
Directional Dashing - Ever play Celeste? Like its dash? Cool! You get two of them here, and you can use them to dodge attacks or travel in any cardinal direction, grounded or in the air. (Yes there's wavedashing for those who want it) Timing a dash with an enemy's attack lets you dodge it and freeze time!
Break Attacks - Strong attacks that use up one of your dash charges; use these to break through enemy armor and counter their attacks, stunning them.
Nodes - The green spinning Doritos floating around. Collect 10 of them and recover a health point!
Resonance %- A scaling damage/speed buff that ranges from 0-100%. Hit enemies and collect Nodes to maintain this buff and absolutely snowball in power. The catch? This completely wears off if you get hit. Don't get hit. Don't wait around. Get in there and smack stuff around and you'll be handsomely rewarded!

INSTALLATION
-Download the attached zip file
-Open it.
-Click on AdventNEON.exe and get to playing!

Latest reviews

I meant to leave this as a rating and not a comment:
This game is a high intensity, futuristic, platforming, beat'em up experience. Something about it gives off a Vectorman vibe, but I can't quite put my finger on what. You did a great job in synthesizing your different sources of inspiration into one amazing ride. This will definitely be one of those games I will be replaying after SAGE 2020 is over and I look forward to seeing your future work. SAGE definitely started this year's line up off on the right foot.
CryoGX
CryoGX
Thanks so much for the positive review! Really glad to have maintained your interest, dude
Harry._.
Harry._.
This is the best original fangame I have played so far!
1st Original SAGE Game listed out of 77

AdventNEON has lots of potential in it. It has fast-paced combat, combos that are satisfying to pull off, levels are a blast to go through, and bosses are challenging but fair. Overall, an experience that I would definitely recommend to try out. Can't wait to see what the final product turns out to be.
CryoGX
CryoGX
Thank you! I'll definitely be doing my best to try to deliver something way better than what's been shown off here so far!

Comments

the boss fight is really annoying no offense but like the dash does not go far enough and dashing through the lighting and hand is just annoying

the boss fight is really annoying no offense but like the dash does not go far enough and dashing through the lighting and hand is just annoying
Thanks for the feedback! I released an update that makes the dash go a little bit farther

I really enjoyed the combat! Once you got a combo going, you could rip through enemies in a really satisfying way.

My biggest gripe is the feel of the platforming. The camera whips around just a bit too fast and going down slopes feels glitchy, like you're tumbling rather than descending.

I couldn't beat the first boss, but I was rushing because I decided to play every original game that's been uploaded, lol. It's a bit of a difficulty spike, but I'm sure I could have beaten it.

Good game! I'll be keeping an eye on it.

You put a lot of heart into this project and it shows!
The game is legitimately great. The art direction and general style is very appealing. The game play is very fun and a genuine rush of hype. The music fits the themes and the level design is not bad at all.

I can only point out a few things not so great about the game. I feel as though his sprite does not convey a lot of emotion (Like his "squatting" sprite...Which I can't even tell if he's squatting or not) and the game could do for some more sound effects, such as walking or landing from a jump...Ect. The grounded "Ora Ora" is also a really broken move and should definitely be toned down.

Other than those few gripes this game is truly excellent and I hope to see more from you in the near future! Best of Luck!

I really enjoyed the combat! Once you got a combo going, you could rip through enemies in a really satisfying way.

My biggest gripe is the feel of the platforming. The camera whips around just a bit too fast and going down slopes feels glitchy, like you're tumbling rather than descending.

I couldn't beat the first boss, but I was rushing because I decided to play every original game that's been uploaded, lol. It's a bit of a difficulty spike, but I'm sure I could have beaten it.

Good game! I'll be keeping an eye on it.
Thank you! And yeah those things definitely have some kinks to be ironed out on my end. Aegis serves to be a tutorial for dashing through attacks, but I've seen a few people complain about it so far so I'll take another look at it. Overall thank you so much for playing and leaving feedback!

You put a lot of heart into this project and it shows!
The game is legitimately great. The art direction and general style is very appealing. The game play is very fun and a genuine rush of hype. The music fits the themes and the level design is not bad at all.

I can only point out a few things not so great about the game. I feel as though his sprite does not convey a lot of emotion (Like his "squatting" sprite...Which I can't even tell if he's squatting or not) and the game could do for some more sound effects, such as walking or landing from a jump...Ect. The grounded "Ora Ora" is also a really broken move and should definitely be toned down.

Other than those few gripes this game is truly excellent and I hope to see more from you in the near future! Best of Luck!
Thanks so much for playing and enjoying the game! Yeah all the sprites are rapidly growing with my ability as a pixel artist, and as the only person working on it, the sounds kinda got pushed back in priority, but I definitely understand your concern there. The barrage was intended as something to ease the player in, but yeah I notice that some people are just using it as a first order optimal strategy, so it'll definitely get tweaked!

Again thank you for playing and leaving feedback, I'll do my best to not disappoint you guys!

This game is a high intensity, futuristic, platforming, beat'em up experience. Something about it gives off a Vectorman vibe, but I can't quite put my finger on what. You did a great job in synthesizing your different sources of inspiration into one amazing ride. This will definitely be one of those games I will be replaying after SAGE 2020 is over and I look forward to seeing your future work. SAGE definitely started this year's line up off on the right foot.

This game is uses an .exe file, as a Linux user I had no issues running it with WINE.

Making fast-paced platformers can't be the easiest job in the world, because in order for players to move reflexively at such high speeds, the movement has to feel natural to them. But different things are going to feel natural to different people, probably based on what other things they're accustomed to playing. For me the gravity was too high, the dashes were too short, and the combat was unsatisfying, but other people will have other preferences and this may feel more natural to them. I will say it's nice seeing bits of level design between bosses, it can be pretty easy for games like this to focus too heavily on bosses with only hints of straight lines in-between.
(Also, a technical note: the controls menu did allow me to use Shift and Ctrl keys, but displayed white rectangles instead of their names.)

This game is uses an .exe file, as a Linux user I had no issues running it with WINE.
I caught your review version and left my response there, but definitely glad it works on Linux, too! The build was only meant for Windows, so this works out very nicely.

Making fast-paced platformers can't be the easiest job in the world, because in order for players to move reflexively at such high speeds, the movement has to feel natural to them. But different things are going to feel natural to different people, probably based on what other things they're accustomed to playing. For me the gravity was too high, the dashes were too short, and the combat was unsatisfying, but other people will have other preferences and this may feel more natural to them. I will say it's nice seeing bits of level design between bosses, it can be pretty easy for games like this to focus too heavily on bosses with only hints of straight lines in-between.
(Also, a technical note: the controls menu did allow me to use Shift and Ctrl keys, but displayed white rectangles instead of their names.)
Thanks for the critical feedback dude! And yeah it's definitely not the easiest thing, especially solo, but your own gripes are still 100% valid. All 3 of those points should be approachable on my end without compromising the game, so I'm really grateful for you laying 'em out explicitly.

While I can't make the thing absolutely everyone will enjoy, I can still act on y'all's feedback and meet more people in the middle. Some even want Neon to naturally run much faster and with more momentum between actions, while others want the moves to be a bit slower and more impactful. I definitely notice it all and will be doing my best to make the game feel as nice for as many people as possible throughout development! Thanks again!

Last edited:
TO EVERYONE DOWNLOADING THE GAME: There is now a POST-SAGE update available as a new download! Both this newer version and the one that appeared at SAGExpo 2020 are available as downloads. However, if you want to give feedback for the game, it is highly recommended you download the latest version!

This game is truly a piece of art, just from the start-up all the way to the ending act it's clear to see the passion, time, and effort put into this game and I'm very happy with everything that you guys have done, amazing job to you all :3

I played the steam demo and it was a very good experience, I was surprised that the demo kept on going, I thought it was going to end multiple times but it kept going which was a good thing since the game itself was very fun and enjoyable

Love this game! also i wishlisted and played the steam game and played these two games and there awesome

I played the steam demo and it was a very good experience, I was surprised that the demo kept on going, I thought it was going to end multiple times but it kept going which was a good thing since the game itself was very fun and enjoyable
I played it too!

Item information

Added by
CryoGX
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.67 star(s) 3 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games