don't click here

Fan Game Sonic 3 A.I.R.

Toothpick

Green Hill Zone
Sep 4, 2017
This might be a weird question, but is there any way to clear your progress with Sonic 3 AIR? To be specific, I want to clear the achievements so I can demonstrate in a stream the ability to unlock things.

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
This might be a weird question, but is there any way to clear your progress with Sonic 3 AIR? To be specific, I want to clear the achievements so I can demonstrate in a stream the ability to unlock things.
No problem! Open the folder %appdata%/Sonic3AIR in Windows Explorer, and delete the playerprogress.bin file there.

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
Controlling Talis with the D-pad while he is carrying you doesn't work, and neither does capturing game records. Both issues occur in failsafe mode.
Also, Sonic can't roll up this slope in Marble Garden Zone Act 1, while being able to run up it just fine.
Controlling Tails: It looks like the game thinks you have two controllers active at the same time, even though it's just one. This way you control Tails as well (though only his jump buttons as it seems). I only noticed that because you get a small Tails icon at the borders if Tails is offscreen - and that only happens if there's actual input on player 2. If you're using a software like Joy2key or similar, maybe you can change the configuration there to make it work?

Game recordings: That is part of what failsafe mode failsafe. It disables everything that is not really needed for the game, including the recording.

The MGZ 1 slope: That's a classic S3&K bug. I'll try to fix it.

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
@hellothere3212
Give this new version here a try:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LeEiMFNS4GxSY3qSp4I7YbfXone015Kx/view?usp=sharing

I searched and removed all the things related to window creation that could cause problems now.
You said, the minimalistic test applications all worked for, i.e. opened a window with some colorful content inside, right? That's important because I tried to bring S3AIR as close to these now.

If for whatever reason, this one still does not work: The message box for "Unable to create window" is now containing a more specific error that hopefully tells us what exactly goes wrong.

hellothere3212

Green Hill Zone
Feb 9, 2019
Yes, it's finally happening! Thansk Eukaryot

But now this appears:Video initialization failed?

Also I have an idea: Put a sign of tutorial of how to control the barrel and to pass it, unlike those people who don't know

Last edited:

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
But now this appears:Video initialization failed?
I'm having some questions here:
  1. What is the exact error message? (Post a screenshot if possible)
  2. Did all of the minimalistic test applications actually open a window?
Both is important for me to even have a chance of fixing the issue.

@TimeGazingKitsunes :
It would be nice if you could try the next version in the post before yours and tell me if that one works for you. And if not, whether there is an error and what error.
Also, could you try the minimalistic test applications from http://85.214.142.96/sonic3air_minimalistic.zip ? It's only a matter of minutes. They should all open a window that closes automatically after 5 seconds.

hellothere3212

Green Hill Zone
Feb 9, 2019
Ok, i'm gonna do it right now, screenshotting this thing: NEVERMIND it's working

Ok anyways why did you update the time attack thing for boss skips?? I mean I beat my records right now by just skipping it (I mean the Angel Island Act 1 cutscene)

Also i'm sorry for all your work it did, but I tried back the old versions I had and it works, and it updated still into the newer versions, cool!

Or it's the new version, who knows

Also i'm the most person that got alot of errors, probably.

Last edited:

gershik

Green Hill Zone
Apr 11, 2019
If you're using a software like Joy2key or similar, maybe you can change the configuration there to make it work?
I am running the game on macOS via Crossover. I checked it's game controller settings and it only detects one controller. However, I found out that controlling Tails with the left stick works fine and only the d-pad is broken.

GerbilSoft

Administrator
Nov 3, 2017
gerbilsoft.com
I tried out the new test build.
  • The release build mostly worked, but sometimes when creating a new wineprefix, the window would show up as 4:3, and then a script error appeared. This started happening with my regular wineprefix as well. The new build doesn't have this problem.
  • Screen Filter and Scanlines are both blacked out. It should be possible to get these shaders working, but you'll need to test it on a Linux machine with Intel iGPU. One thing that might work is requesting a GL Core profile instead of the default Compatibility profile. (The Mesa drivers don't provide "newer" functionality when using a Compatibility profile.) See https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_GLprofile for more information. Note that if Core profile isn't available, initialization might fail, in which case you should fallback to Compatibility.
  • Related to SDL: The version included with S3AIR is v2.0.4. The current version is v2.0.9. Some of the changes since v2.0.4 include explicit support for Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers, support for wired Xbox/PS4/Switch controllers, and the Nintendo Switch/Wii U GameCube controller adapter. The Windows version switches from XAudio2 to WASAPI, which may help with audio issues on some systems.

Reactions: Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
I tried out the new test build.
  • The release build mostly worked, but sometimes when creating a new wineprefix, the window would show up as 4:3, and then a script error appeared. This started happening with my regular wineprefix as well. The new build doesn't have this problem.
  • Screen Filter and Scanlines are both blacked out. It should be possible to get these shaders working, but you'll need to test it on a Linux machine with Intel iGPU. One thing that might work is requesting a GL Core profile instead of the default Compatibility profile. (The Mesa drivers don't provide "newer" functionality when using a Compatibility profile.) See https://wiki.libsdl.org/SDL_GLprofile for more information. Note that if Core profile isn't available, initialization might fail, in which case you should fallback to Compatibility.
  • Related to SDL: The version included with S3AIR is v2.0.4. The current version is v2.0.9. Some of the changes since v2.0.4 include explicit support for Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers, support for wired Xbox/PS4/Switch controllers, and the Nintendo Switch/Wii U GameCube controller adapter. The Windows version switches from XAudio2 to WASAPI, which may help with audio issues on some systems.
That's some great information, thanks a lot!
It was about time to update SDL, and to check out new features - have to say, I started with SDL 1.3 and haven't changed much since then.

Trying out the Core context profile, and fallback to Compatibility in this version here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z9OpN7pNrmpeLCxaNGFDfEj2zQCJ42Xq/view?usp=sharing
Let me know if this is better - and whether maybe there's something else worth trying out.

Note on this version for everyone reading: It's a work-in-progress build, hardly tested from my side, and should not be used unless you don't mind being the guinea pig. ;)

Emi

Green Hill Zone
Feb 20, 2019
Hey I have an idea
Could you add an option to change hidden palace's music with the sonic 2 unused song?

OctoRaven

Press Start Screen
Apr 17, 2019
this is what happens when i try to use the app..and yes i did install the c++ and it still dose this

Attachments