don't click here

Fan Game Sonic 3 A.I.R.

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
Firstly, congrats on the full launch for Sonic 3 A.I.R. I was already intrigued by the project when I first saw it here and I'm glad that you were able to do the entirety of Sonic 3 & Knuckles since then.
It has honestly given me a better appreciation for Sonic 3 & Knuckles that nether the original or even Sonic 3 Complete could do for me after revisiting the game via A.I.R.
The only suggestions I could make are more for the controller support that's currently in it, as I think it would be nice if there were options to rebind the buttons on your controller for either those who don't use a XB360/XBOne pad or for people who want to customise the button mappings to their preferred liking, along with some sort of auto-detect system that some other games use in case your controller gets disconnected mid-way through and you want to hook it back up without having to restart the game.
Other than that minor suggestion, great job on this project and I wish you the best of luck with your future projects.
I agree that controller support is not optimal right now.
Actually (in my defense :emoji_wink: ), both button mapping and rescan of controllers is possible - but both is kind of cumbersome: Remapping buttons requires editing a JSON file, and rescan can only be done manually with the F3 key.

So we need some improvement here.
I'm having plans for including a controller config menu, which will certainly be helpful. And the auto-detection would be neat - I'll have to check first if there's downsides to regularly checking the controllers, but if not, this will get added as well.

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
Congrats on the full release! I've been following this project from the beginning, and I'm excited to finally have the Sonic 3 remaster we all deserved.

I only have a few questions/suggestions for future updates.
  • Will there be a separate release of the remastered soundtrack at some point? I'd love to add it to my playlist.
  • Are you planning on adding the finished Super Sonic sprites? That's my one main complaint with the original and this remaster.
  • Maybe the competition maps could be added to the time attack mode, like in Sonic Rush.
  • Perhaps add unique zone icons for each zone, like in Sonic 3 Complete.
  • Any other QoL features from Sonic 3 Complete would also be appreciated, but I wouldn't lose sleep over them.
Anyway, that's all I got! Excellent work so far, and I'm excited to see what's added in the future!
Thank you!
  • For the questions on Sonic 3 Complete features, this is all somewhat uncertain at the moment. I've added from S3C what I found a good balance between importance and ease of implementing. Other things could be added later on, but I can make no definitive statements on those yet.
  • The competition mode is quite a bit of additional work, even if limited to the maps themselves (i.e. without the menus), and I don't feel like it's worth it. So they might very well never be part of S3AIR.
  • The remastered soundtrack was done by @GalacticG and only recently incorporated into S3AIR. Previously is was made available as a music mod, which had the files easily accessibly. You can find older versions of it earlier here in this forum thread - but they are, of course, not complete, as the game wasn't either at that point.

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
I hope anyone answers my question because I keep getting this error saying this View attachment 2511
Yes, I did not forget about you! It's just that right now, I don't have a solution for the problem.
However, the error message you posted is giving me another hint. When I've got a new game build that could solve the problem, I'll post it here!

G Spindash

Green Hill Zone
Sep 3, 2018
Scotland
linktr.ee
I was planning to leave the full soundtrack release for a while till I'd worked a bit more on drum/percussion replacement. However if folk want the current version, I'll upload a properly looped & tagged, FLAC or MP3 album over the next week.

Adam_M

Green Hill Zone
Apr 7, 2019
Congrats on releasing the full version, just finished my S&T playthrough and think it's was a great way to play S3&K. There are a few things that have been previously mentioned here that I'd like to see from S3C implemented as options in S3AIR, but it's not too important.
Is the ability to detransform in Doomsday intentional? Because part of me thinks that should be disabled there, but another part of me thinks it should be left there because it's funny.
Thanks for making this

Reactions: Eukaryot

Triangly

Animation is fun!
Apr 7, 2019
Emerald Hill Zone
www.youtube.com
Hi @Triangly ,

You are right, this is indeed a difference between Sonic 3 AIR and (most?) emulators.
The AIR renderer multiplies a palette entry's RGB color value between 0 to 7 with a fixed value of 36. I've seen at least Genesis Plus SX use a multiplier of 32, and RAW seems to be close to that (but not exactly the same).

The reason why I'm using the brighter colors is
1) it felt more natural to me to cover more of the spectrum of colors, with maximum bright white being (252, 252, 252) = #FCFCFC in AIR, but a less bright (224, 224, 224) = #E0E0E0 in the emulator, and
2) because I simply liked the brighter colors more.

I'm definitely open for adding an option into the game, so the players can choose for themselves.
However, the default will stay the current palette brightness, because of the reasons above and because I'd rather not make a change that leads to a sudden change of colors after an update, compared to what everyone is used to now already.

Regarding the implementation details, I did not quite understand how the value of -6 for FSH and -12 for RAW has be interpreted.
Would you say that the multiplication with 32 would do the trick? I.e. getting effective 8-bit RGB color values of 0, 32, 64, ..., 224 ?
And for FSH, I'd make the multiplier 34, so we get to 238 as highest value.

Please let me know what you think about this. Looking forward to your reply! :)
Are you sure the white color in AIR is 252, 252, 252? I just checked it out and it is #FFFFFF which is 255, 255, 255. And yes, I actually like that idea, can't wait see what you will do with this :emoji_thumbsup:

hellothere3212

Green Hill Zone
Feb 9, 2019
Yes, I did not forget about you! It's just that right now, I don't have a solution for the problem.
However, the error message you posted is giving me another hint. When I've got a new game build that could solve the problem, I'll post it here!

Man I really want to play this game ;(
Even though I seen every update go up and it was as amazing, I could play a little but now this is the end?

RSM

:duck:
Oct 4, 2018
Hi @Triangly ,

You are right, this is indeed a difference between Sonic 3 AIR and (most?) emulators.
The AIR renderer multiplies a palette entry's RGB color value between 0 to 7 with a fixed value of 36. I've seen at least Genesis Plus SX use a multiplier of 32, and RAW seems to be close to that (but not exactly the same).

The reason why I'm using the brighter colors is
1) it felt more natural to me to cover more of the spectrum of colors, with maximum bright white being (252, 252, 252) = #FCFCFC in AIR, but a less bright (224, 224, 224) = #E0E0E0 in the emulator, and
2) because I simply liked the brighter colors more.

I'm definitely open for adding an option into the game, so the players can choose for themselves.
However, the default will stay the current palette brightness, because of the reasons above and because I'd rather not make a change that leads to a sudden change of colors after an update, compared to what everyone is used to now already.

Regarding the implementation details, I did not quite understand how the value of -6 for FSH and -12 for RAW has be interpreted.
Would you say that the multiplication with 32 would do the trick? I.e. getting effective 8-bit RGB color values of 0, 32, 64, ..., 224 ?
And for FSH, I'd make the multiplier 34, so we get to 238 as highest value.

Please let me know what you think about this. Looking forward to your reply! :)
Most emulators are actually incorrect here, however, including the Taxman and Stealth ports. BlastEm got closest, but the reality is that the steps in between each RGB value are actually non-linear (because the Mega Drive's VDP is weird.) A user by the name of Tiido http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2188/ discovered that the values are exactly as follows (in decimal):

Normal : 0 52 87 116 144 172 206 255
Shadow : 0 29 52 70 87 101 116 130
HiLite : 130 144 158 172 187 206 228 255​

Depending, of course, on shadow and highlight mode. I'm unsure if you wish to adjust the emulated VDP output to accomodate for the accuracy, however, as it is jarring to anybody who has not seen the game running on hardware - the colour is vastly different, much brighter and appears somewhat washed out. The game would look somewhat as follows, under these conditions:

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
Is the ability to detransform in Doomsday intentional? Because part of me thinks that should be disabled there, but another part of me thinks it should be left there because it's funny.
Ok, this is indeed funny. But not intentional, and I'm going to fix it.
Somehow reminds me of a similar bug in an older S3AIR version, where you could detransform in Sonic's intro already. That was weird.
Thanks for reporting!

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
@Triangly
@RSM
I feel this topic is getting more and more complicated! I'd just stick with the RAW vs. FSH vs. Full Palette Variation option, hope that's satisfying (enough) for everyone. :emoji_slight_smile:

Btw., I have to add a correction for my statement on what full white is in AIR:
For palettes, it's indeed #FCFCFC, but some sprites are using 24-bit RGB color instead - including the HUD. And white is indeed #FFFFFF there.

Reactions: Triangly

Triangly

Animation is fun!
Apr 7, 2019
Emerald Hill Zone
www.youtube.com
@Triangly
@RSM
I feel this topic is getting more and more complicated! I'd just stick with the RAW vs. FSH vs. Full Palette Variation option, hope that's satisfying (enough) for everyone. :emoji_slight_smile:

Btw., I have to add a correction for my statement on what full white is in AIR:
For palettes, it's indeed #FCFCFC, but some sprites are using 24-bit RGB color instead - including the HUD. And white is indeed #FFFFFF there.
Glad to hear that! :) Also, my friend said me he was able to detransform to normal Sonic in Doomsday and final cutscene when Sonic is falling down from space. Basically, this glitch is still here :D

AquaPoyoKirby

Makin' Puyo Chains
Apr 8, 2019
Mmm, creating an account for help with some mods. Modding is something I'm not used to at all, so I'm easily confused by this error. Can someone help out?

hellothere3212

Green Hill Zone
Feb 9, 2019
So anyone gonna respon- nevermind Eura- nevermind I don't know how to pronounce his name but like are you gonna do a "Windows Size" thing startup for what size you want to be? Windowed or like Fullscreen or I don't know

_Demo4YT_

Press Start Screen
Dec 14, 2018
Mmm, creating an account for help with some mods. Modding is something I'm not used to at all, so I'm easily confused by this error. Can someone help out?

I seen this error when i was editing both music and levels. I'm sure you just forgot to put symbol(s). I'll be able to say more, if you send screenshot of music/levels file that you made. Sorry if you can't understand me, i badly know english.

hellothere3212

Green Hill Zone
Feb 9, 2019
Eukaroyt please are you working on that bug that keeps popping on my screen saying unable to create window?

PLEASE I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT THE GAME!

Also Online Racing
Also Online Multiplayer (Also netplays for Sonic and Tails, Tails and Knuckles, Knuckles and Sonic and I think that's all just please include it! :) Thanks)

Fizzy

Press Start Screen
Apr 10, 2019
I seen this error when i was editing both music and levels. I'm sure you just forgot to put symbol(s). I'll be able to say more, if you send screenshot of music/levels file that you made. Sorry if you can't understand me, i badly know english.
upload_2019-4-10_19-16-21.png
upload_2019-4-10_19-16-38.png
I just wanted to test the feature, got this error. I'm no code master but I'm pretty sure this is fine?

Attachments

Eukaryot

Heading for Angel Island
May 1, 2018
I do not know if it is an error or it is intentional.
After having passed the game, I decided to collect the emeralds at the end, I already have all of them but can not transform.

my direct:

forgive me the bad quality.
Everything looks fine, so transformation should be possible. Please note that the transformation is not triggered by the jump keys / buttons any more, but the W key on keyboard, and Y on Xbox controllers.