don't click here

Fan Game Sonic 3 A.I.R.

aorin1

Press Start Screen
Sep 16, 2019
I am amazed about Sonic A.I.R., didn't see this one coming, the only widescreen options for the classic Sonic games I've found are on Android or IOS, Sonic 1 and 2 respectively. I hope they also are available for PC like you did for Sonic 3 and Knuckles (not a request, just a wish it would happen one day), and this is basically what was missing in the trilogy, with the extra options you added, sound control and more this is the ultimate version of the most ambitious Sonic game, at least I always felt this way towards Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles.

I just registered to say thank you!

Reactions: Valeev

Emi

Green Hill Zone
Feb 20, 2019
So I have a problem with the last update about palettes
I'm using 21 colours , everything was ok until sonic goes super or hyper.
In intro cutscene and ending he doesn't change his colours to his super form, transforming makes the animation play in a different way (you fall to the ground way too fast) And in the doomsday zone intro gets cut.
Also going hyper looks wrong, it doesn't change the pallet and uses the normal super ones
This is the palette that I'm using. just in case there is something wrong that I can't notice.
edit : I notice that this happens when you add the super sonic colours to the palette image (the 6 row)

Last edited:

TimeGazingKitsunes

Green Hill Zone
Apr 11, 2019
Hi, I'm back again. I just re-downloaded the game after a long time, and I still get the same problem. 4252
It opens, doesn't respond, then after a minute it closes. Could I get some help, please?

EDIT: Not fixed, but the game usually goes to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sega Classics\uncompressed ROMs\Sonic_Knuckles_wSonic3.bin for the file. Mine is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sega Classics\uncompressed ROMs\Sonic_Knuckles_wSonic3.bin. Could that have something to do with it?

EDIT 2:
{

// Enter the path to the game ROM here if it can't be found automatically
"RomPath": "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sega Classics\uncompressed ROMs\Sonic_Knuckles_wSonic3.bin",

Edited the start of config.json to this, Is something wrong? 4254 This is what I get now.

Last edited:

MissNewtype

Green Hill Zone
Oct 27, 2018
Ohio
Any plans on doing Sonic 1 and 2? Those would be amazing if they got this treatment (not that they aren't already awesome).

Thanks for all your hard work! This is an absolute joy to play!

Samuel Knytt

Press Start Screen
Aug 25, 2018
Hi, I'd like to understand how this engine works. For example, why does the engine require a rom to work, and what data is being read from the rom to fill in any gaps within the program? Is that even how it works? From my understanding it's not just that the game looks for a rom file to combat piracy, it legitimately needs a Sonic 3&K rom. You also said the program works similarly to an emulator, which made me incredibly curious as to what this whole thing even is. Is the program using any level design data from the rom, and if so, is it possible to do a S1/S2 lock on like the original game, without doing too much porting work? Or do you need to recreate most of the levels from scratch?

BTW, super happy that this project came together so well!

Jesse Pam

Press Start Screen
Dec 23, 2019
Whenever I play Sonic 3 A.I.R, it always forces the up key, making it very frustrating to play for me. Does anyone know a solution to this hindering problem?

SIG7

Green Hill Zone
Feb 18, 2020
Hey @Eukaryot!

I followed this project since it was announced on SAGE 2018, I knew the project will make it through and... here it is. The whole S3K in HD. Remastered version we actually deserved

I am really surprised it is basically 99% accurate if compare it to the original game and... yes, only 99%. I am writing this post to tell you about the global problem of this game. Literally. It renders with the wrong colors

I am sure you should know about Full, Full w/ S&H and RAW palette variations. Only RAW and FSH (but mostly RAW) are actually the correct ones. A.I.R. renders with Full palette variation. Let me show you what I am talking about:

1. Full palette variation

2. RAW palette variation

2.1 Full w/ S&H palette variation

As you can see, the Full palette is WAY to bright. It IS the technical problem and should be solved. I don't really know it was your own choose to use the Full palette (and then it is okay), but if not... you know. If it is possible to work with HSL filter, you can do -6 to L to get FSH palette or -12 to get RAW palette (so it can be included to settings menu, I guess)

Anyway, I am ready to get any answer from you. Thank you <3
The colors have to be made as accurate as possible, not 100% accurate,

carl jhonson

Press Start Screen
Apr 8, 2020
I can't, because I have to buy the game from steam...
you are not the only friend

an error occurs to me, in the
when i run the program and it asks me about the game i choose a pirate one and sonic 3 AIR stops working

I don't have a card to buy the game either, so now I'm trying to get a code to get the game on Steam for free and you can't :(

carl jhonson

Press Start Screen
Apr 8, 2020
would someone be so kind as to pass me the sonic 3 and knuckles steam game?

I can not pay it
they help me?

the_importer

Press Start Screen
Aug 16, 2020
Hi there,

I discovered this project yesterday via a YouTube video. While I did enjoy playing Sonic The Hedgehog 3 Complete on my FPGA system, the features in this version are simply amazing, especially for someone who’s beaten this game countless times since the 90’.

My only issue is that I’m unable to properly use my Retro-Bit Saturn controller with this game in the sense that I can’t remap the buttons the way I want to. I’m trying to make a Genesis style with A, B, C to Jump, Start to well, Start and Y to go Super.

This is what I did in my config file:

// Other controllers like some Logitech controllers; these use a different numbering of buttons
"USB Gamepad":
{
"DeviceNames":["USB Gamepad"],

"Up": [ "Axis2"],
"Down": [ "Axis3"],
"Left": [ "Axis0"],
"Right": [ "Axis1"],
"A": [ "Button4" ],
"B": [ "Button2" ],
"X": [ "Button1" ],
"Y": [ "Button3" ],
"Start": [ "Button9" ],
"Back": [ "Button8" ]
},

So what am I doing wrong?

Cheers

keyosuke

Green Hill Zone
Dec 8, 2020
ukaryot,

Thank you for making this fan project. Thanks for including a way to choose Beta music over Sonic 3 music, as that is great for helping me avoid all of the songs I did not like that made it hard to get through Sonic 3. I no longer have to be miserable to deranged circus music. So many of your optional tweaks feel like they were done in the spirit of giving fans a choice over what the full Sonic experience should be, aligning with what was already in the games, and as someone who used the Pro Action Replay on my Genesis to find and enjoy the unfinished things in Sonic 3 and Knuckles during my childhood, that's swell.

If there's anything I wish was different it would be that the debug code has become inaccessible the way the original rom had it exposed. If anything, I would have liked it to be changed to something hidden in the sound test, a lo Sonic 2, such as playing the tunes in order to create the date this fan project had a 1.0 release, but having it be an unlockable seems to take something away from the original game. On the other hand, using the ←,←,←,→,→,→,↑,↑,↑, for stage select and debug mode in Sonic 3 & Knuckles did seem out of character, as if Sega was just in a rush and weren't trying very hard to hide them. And so, I wonder if you could have at least hid a way to activate debug code in a more traditional way, even if not the historic way, since I am sure you are the kind of person who would appreciate that level of detail in faithfulness.

I think I'll end with the praise of saying I think what you've done lends itself to a second project that could make Sonic the next Garysmod or Minecraft, in that I think you could make a map editor built on the debug feature, or a redesign of it, allowing users to save their maps and exchange them in some archive format. A whole community exists of people swapping around Minecraft maps, and while gmod isn't persistent, people hang out together building a map, which seems like an awful strange thing to be a popular game, but it has found an audience. That leads me to wondering if the 2-Player mode that I'm glad you left in the game could someday be half of a network play feature with a game lobby. I imagine playing your Knuckles & Tails with another low-latency gamer controlling my Miles from the other side of my continent, as if we're in the same livingroom in 1995. Perhaps it will stay simple imagination, but I think I and a lot of others with software engineering skill would hop on something like that, if it was a matter of time constraint. This work you've done is impressive enough to inspire help, I'm sure.