don't click here

Shield Cat (SAGE 2020)

General Information

IMPORTANT THIS IS AN OLD DEMO!!!
I'm leaving this demo up here for archival purposes, but if you want to try out Shield Cat, please check out the latest demo here!

Thank you!!
---------------------------------------------------------------

Shield Cat SAGE 2020 Demo

A patreon supported game being created by CyanSorcery!

Website Links

[Twitter] [Mastodon] [Wiki] [SoundCloud]

Patreon Links
[Development Updates] [Game Artwork] [Build Releases]

What is Shield Cat?
Shield Cat is an Action Adventure game with light RPG elements. You play as Lance, an otter/cat who must go on a quest to rescue his friends and the Cat Kingdom! Along the way you'll solve puzzles, gain new abilities, meet new friends, and collect stuff!

What's in the demo?
The demo contains the following features:
  • Complete Stage - You start at Lance's house, progress through the forest, and find a way to open the Forest Gate.
  • Collectibles - There are 5 LANCE letters in the stage, as well as 200 Fish Scales. Can you find them all?
  • Results Screen - After you get through the stage, the game will tell you how well you did.
  • Speedrun Clock - How fast can you get through the forest? What about if you want to collect everything?
Controls
The game can be controlled using the keyboard, mouse, or DirectInput/XInput gamepads! You can find a list of default controls on the wiki, but you can also customize them*

*You'll have to edit the ini files to customize them for now, as they can't be changed in game.

How to download?
You can find download links on the right side of the page, near the top (when viewed on the computer.) The game is available for Windows and Linux. Download the game and unzip it anywhere on your computer, and then run it.

What's next for Shield Cat?
A number of features are planned, including Lance being able to change his Active Abilities (so do way more than just spin and throw his shield,) as well as equip Passive Abilities that grant him boosts or other benefits during gameplay! You can find out more about this, planned locations, and more on the itch page.

Discord
Want to provide feedback? Had fun and want to tell me about it? Join our community [here]!!!

Special Notes
  • Lance's Max Spin Speed has been intentionally boosted for the demo, so players can get a feel for what the end game is like. Once I implement his passive abilities that raise his max speed, I'll be putting it where it's supposed to be again.
  • If you intend to speedrun the demo, enabling "Debug Mode" and then pressing "F10" to open the Debug Overlay and then pressing "F2" will send you back to the title screen immediately, greatly reducing the amount it takes to abandon a run and try again.
  • If you're getting the message about Shield Cat not running at full speed, and you're using a high refresh rate monitor, you'll have to set your monitor to run at 60hz to run the game correctly. This is a limitation of Gamemaker.
  • If you have any other issues, please don't hesitate to contact me via Twitter (on CyanSorcery please,) Mastodon, or through the Discord Channel!!
Thank you!
Thank you for checking out Shield Cat! I hope you enjoy what I've got so far!​

Comments

Good news! He's full otter now (I just haven't updated some of my documents yet)
Now I'm double-sold! I'm gonna keep an eye on this one. It stole my heart. Everything about it appeals to me. The spinning controls are a little... unorthodox, but I imagine they're really fluid once you get used to them.

The world of this game really sucks you in. I was quite impressed. It takes me back to A Link To The Past.

Now I'm double-sold! I'm gonna keep an eye on this one. It stole my heart. Everything about it appeals to me. The spinning controls are a little... unorthodox, but I imagine they're really fluid once you get used to them.

The world of this game really sucks you in. I was quite impressed. It takes me back to A Link To The Past.
gosh thank you!!!

Item information

Added by
CyanSorcery
Views
Comments
Last update

More in Original Games

• Sole Iron Tail
    Slide and charge as fast as you can using your special tail!
  • ChronoVenture
    Overview ChronoVenture is a momentum-based Gameboy-style platformer...
  • AdventNEON
    Action platformer with tons of dashing, smash combos and powerscaling
  • The Great Frebbventure
    An action-platform adventure that combines the best of retro and modern...
  • Skye Revival
    Go through levels and defeat your foes with a wide variety of attacks

More from CyanSorcery

Share this item