don't click here

SAGE 2023 - Demo Project 32X

Outdated comment: Not work for me (AMD Radeon RX 480 4 GB).
Current comment: Good fangame, but it still needs to develop to be more interesting. For now, it's just a tech demo.
Last edited:
S
Sonkinator1991
How do i fix it tho i have same issue
R
RetroDev
Update your drivers
R
RetroDev
And also, this demo is outdated
I really like it it's a fresh idea fun to play and very close to the original game
A good little demo, with a charm of the games from those times. You absolutely nailed the art-style, however for now, the project feels barebones. Hopefully we'll see something more unique coming in the future. Maybe even remakes of levels shown in public gameplay videos.
Reactions: F108_Star
I feel like this game is off to a pretty solid start, and blitzing around in this super-low poly enviroment was really fun even isolated from the traditional Sonic level design tropes, but there are ways I think Project 32X could be improved.
Handling: I do understand that for what P32X is going for, more natural handling akin to the Adventure games is a no-go. That being said, if you're going to go for more snappy movement, I'd recommend giving Sonic a run and/or break button so you can more naturally alternate between speed and smooth platforming control like in Lost World. Also, maybe add a raycast so Sonic can go down slopes more smoothly.
Level Design: I think that act one was the weakest level of the game, primarilly because the camera is not well-suited to the player walking towards it. (something the PS1 Crash Bandicoot games struggled with too, for the record) I think you should have more levels like the second one, where you're primarilly running from/along the camera, and where obtaining collectibles is a matter of path selection.
Conveyance: I also feel that while the animation on Sonic is off to a pretty good start, he's missing an animation for taking a hit. Aside from the bounce-back, there's practically no audiovisual conveyance that he took damage. And on that note, it's too easy to get flung off bottomless pits. I'd either change the level design or give Sonic the recovery jump from the Adventure games.

It's still a very commendable effort, so keep going. I look forward to seeing how P32X evolves at future SAGE events.
MeyerGames
MeyerGames
Well, that's perfectly reasonable. I'll freely admit that my projects can be rushed in places too, but the fact that you managed to get this much accomplished in one month is admirable in and of itself. Again, just keep at it, you've got a lot of potential if you can crank something like this out from scratch in that short a timeframe.
R
RetroDev
I was thinking on releasing the full game on 12/12/2023, but I don't know, maybe even before that the game will be done so, yeah
MeyerGames
MeyerGames
Take all the time you need. Just keep in mind there's no obligation to heed my thoughts on your work. It's your project, your art. What you do with my opinions on it is your decision.
m.jpg

v cool i dig it

Looks to be early days but I appreciate the attempt in trying to make it look like a 32x game with the reduced draw distance and all instead of reproducing chris' mockup movies 1:1.
(although i kinda doubt this'd run on the 32x as is, that's still way too many 3d elements :') )

It's not super explicit that you have to get the green coin things in both acts to get the special stage without some form of counter in the UI.
Soniczuki
Soniczuki
i download the game open it noting shows but the audio fine