don't click here

Sonic Forces

Misinko

Feel the the fire! Break your vision!
Aug 29, 2017
So lets get a couple of these balls rolling already.

So everyone's probs already seen this (or some variation of it):

And wow look at that, it's full-on 3D gameplay in my 3D Sonic game. Pinch me. I must be dreaming.

I personally think it looks really bland so far, and the skimpy, linear "branching pathways" that are more diversions then actual proper alternate pathways isn't exactly selling me. Double-boost looks like some stupid tacked-on gimmick that you could legit not do a single solitary thing while it's going on and still make it through the segment just fine. Here's hoping the next reveal is more enticing than this one.

INB4: "Not out yet."

SlumberGlss

Nintender? Who's that?
Aug 29, 2017
Yeah, the Tag Team mechanic is pretty lacking.
It reminds me of Sonic Dash, but with a larger hit box, and 2 models going on at the same time!
I swear, Sonic Heroes did it better.
Every character in a team has an ai, and has its own hit box.
Forces, just being very dumb, doesn't do this.
It's treated as one character with two models.

Baron Von Jiggly

Apple Wizard of Mt.Fuji
Cube wispon is a sinful beast on top of a already sinful combat system that is busted as fuck.
Whip wispon has a weird little dash every time you attack that is Sonic Boom:RoL levels of bad which is baffling
the Double boost is just double the automation
the tag team levels have some of the worst level design i have seen in a 3D game
the fact Rings are now garbage is just kind of sad because it kind of shows they have lost their entire meaning and that Sonic Team has no idea what they are doing
(due to the rings now being basically just currency instead of your line of defense they basically make harder enemies not possible because if you get hit and than lose your rings thanks to the new system you can't pick them up unless your are a specific OC race and because of this enemies can't be allowed to do shit or else you would die as soon as your invincibility frames ended)

SlumberGlss

Nintender? Who's that?
Aug 29, 2017
Another thing i saw in Forces is the draw distance.

If you look in Park Avenue Modern, you can see rings popping in at a very low distance.
Reminder that the gameplay shown was on the PS4.

Reactions: Misinko

DimensionWarped

Resuming Dangerous Status
Aug 29, 2017
That looked pretty bad, but maybe it's just because absolutely nothing happened in the level. SEGA needs to re-learn the art of putting their best foot forward.

Unlimited Trees

Going home
Aug 28, 2017
Space
Sonic Forces is looking very bad to me. The level design is awful. The models and animations are bad. The music is terrible. I'm not excited and I'm not going to buy this game. And if anyone goes "oh it's not out yet so you cant hate it", then please shush, because by that logic, you're not allowed to like the game before it's out either.

The Nightwriter

Shitpost to infinity
Aug 29, 2017
I'm not telling you
While I myself do agree Forces hasnt been presenting itself very well and Mania coming out in the same year and looking as good as it does, doesn't help it either, I still have hype and hope for the game. I'm assuming the level design we've seen is just due to it being earlier levels, but either way, i'm not going to say whether i believe Forces is good or bad until we've seen enough of it for me to really judge it. Either the game just wont be very good or Sega's just being bad and is showing the poorer parts of Forces.

Baron Von Jiggly

Apple Wizard of Mt.Fuji
i think the excuse of earlier levels is kind of a bit... bad. Like they know these are the levels that give the first impression. most games usually make those first few levels really pop out and be spectacular to get you hooked and wanting to play more but Forces has dropped the ball on this so hard. because if the start is bad than that isn't gonna give you much hope for the future now is it?

Lhancat

A Red Cat
Aug 29, 2017
Infinite is the only thing that appeals to me in this game because I'm a sucker for edgy and mysterious villains. Just hope he's written well and the true identity reveal isn't something stupid.

SlumberGlss

Nintender? Who's that?
Aug 29, 2017
just kidding! its just green hill again! YOU LOVE GREEN HILL RIGHT? RIGHT!?!?

Misinko

Feel the the fire! Break your vision!
Aug 29, 2017
As I said, if these are indeed just earlier levels, Sega isnt really showing the best they can to present their game for first impressions.
Problem with the "earlier levels" argument is that Generations, and even Colors had a stronger opening act than what Forces is showing off. Green Hill had multiple paths that actually mattered (and actual, real 3D platforming), and Tropical Resort just felt meatier overall. There's no excuse for Forces' seeming regression.

Atomikku

OfirToeiSonicFan
Aug 29, 2017
Onett
atomikku123.deviantart.com
To be honest, I still have hope for Forces, I mean we haven't seen how broken the game is... Aside from that, I have no problem with Classic Sonic and the Avatar, I like the idea of Wispons, I ADORE its music and my only problem with it is the 2D sections for Modern Sonic

Murasaki

Co-Creator of Sonic Utopia
Aug 29, 2017
I get the feeling the style of gameplay is heavily limited by the lack of R&D into physics. The depth of a game's play will always be limited by the depth of the core mechanics. Not to mention that it relies on nostalgia as a crutch. The story behind Infinite is a bit more interesting than I initially gave it credit for, but it's not enough to make up for something that looks like a mess otherwise.

Not interested in the slightest. But I'll reserve my full judgement until I see the full product.

Reactions: StrawHatLuffy

segafan13

Green Hill Zone
Aug 29, 2017
Honestly, Forces is just....there
It does not have a Soul or Passion, even when is trying to go back to the Adventure Era in presentation.