don't click here

Ok, I might be a little lost.

GoldenExp

Green Hill Zone
Jul 1, 2019
So basically, I'm planning on doing a Classic Sonic Fan Game (I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to say that here), its safe to say that I'm the earliest phase of development as it can get, I'm just throwing ideas at the table for now. The point is that despite only having the concepts at the moment, I have one thing clear and is the mechanics, I don't want to reveal too much, but what I want to do is mess with the backgrounds for stylisitic effect and change the gameplay while playing.

Having this in mind I wanna ask you guys for a little help. What Engine sould I use? I have been considering using Sonic Worlds or Game Maker Studio, but I am afraid those Engines will have limitations (I don't know for sure if the engine will allow me to edit and animate the backgrounds). I also considered Unity because it can allow for more freedom but according to the research I have been doing it's a little hard to get the Sonic physics right here.

The last thing I wanna hear is that I will have to build my own engine for what I want to do, but if it's the best option for the creation of my project, so be it.

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
Well I can only vouch for Sonic MAX on Game Maker Studio (both 1 and 2.) It is possible to have some dynamic backgrounds and even change backgrounds entirely mid-stage. It does require some custom code and a little bit of tinkering, but it’s totally doable.

Gameplay changes might be harder to implement depending on what exactly you’re attempting to do...

But it is Game Maker. If you’re willing to get your hands dirty, you can make it do just about anything.

Reactions: GoldenExp

GoldenExp

Green Hill Zone
Jul 1, 2019
Well I can only vouch for Sonic MAX on Game Maker Studio (both 1 and 2.) It is possible to have some dynamic backgrounds and even change backgrounds entirely mid-stage. It does require some custom code and a little bit of tinkering, but it’s totally doable.

Gameplay changes might be harder to implement depending on what exactly you’re attempting to do...

But it is Game Maker. If you’re willing to get your hands dirty, you can make it do just about anything.
I'm willing to get my hands as dirty as needed. No problem if I need to implement custom code, after all, one of the main objectives is learning game development and programming.

Thanks for the recommendation!