Menu

Welcome!

Sonic Fan Games HQ is the largest resource for Sonic the Hedgehog fan gaming on the web and home to SAGE, the annual Sonic Amatuer Games Expo! We specialize in engines, sprites, music, gameplay, levels, gimmicks, the whole eight yards! Got a project you want to show off? Need some help with your game? Or maybe you just want to connect with creators and fans alike! No matter why you're here, hit that register button below to join the fun and start creating today!

1. Hey Guest!

We just updated our SFGHQ Rules & Guidelines. Give them a read, it might just save your life!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest!

Our pals from the SHC are going to be running the Sonic Hacking Contest a little later this year, a bit after SAGE! You should totally check it out by clicking here!

Dismiss Notice

Classic or Modern Design?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Great Lange, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Great Lange

Great Lange The Great Lange

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this were because it's always bothered me and I realize this may be an unpopular opinion but I really think the classic design is much better. I know the modern design has been around much longer now, but I still don't see it as the right design. The classic design is shorter, fatter, and has a nice combination of cute and cool that conveys the character better, while the modern design is edgier and lanky with exaggerated proportions. I have reference images below for comparison.

I really think Jim Davis dropped the ball on this and should've stuck to the classic Garfield design, I don't know what do you guys think?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Murasaki

Murasaki Co-Creator of Sonic Utopia

When seeing them side-by-side, it's clear that the modern design is for kids with short attention spans. The classic design may not be the type of thing that's popular these days, but it has a lot more character to it. The design is made to complement a more complex and nuanced experience.

3. Mr. Potatobadger

Mr. Potatobadger Resident Accuracy Freak

As much as I prefer the classic design, I really do sometimes think the fans do a better job than the creator.

[​IMG]

4. StarlightSeelig

StarlightSeelig Resident procrastinator

It is without a doubt no contest that the classic design is more aesthetically pleasing.

5. TheStoneBanana

TheStoneBanana The Bananaman

The biggest mistake they made with the modern design was adding green eyes. Absolutely disgusting.

[​IMG]

6. Murasaki

Murasaki Co-Creator of Sonic Utopia

Oh jeez, this looks so weird. This series was never meant for 3D.

7. Mors

Mors maryo flashback

8. PicsAndPixels

PicsAndPixels E Rank Member

>taking a traditionally round character meant to curl into a ball and making him thinner with long noodly limbs

Who ever thought that would be a good idea?

9. Lhancat

Lhancat A Red Cat

I prefer the "modern" design. It's what I'm used to. Can it really be called Modern? That design has been used for years.

I didn't mind the live action movies but they could have made him more believable and less obvious CGI.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Clouder

Clouder The one and only

upload_2017-9-7_8-46-40.png
    Personally, I like the design between Classic and Modern. It's the perfect blend imo
    upload_2017-9-7_8-51-22.jpeg

11. Barak

Barak E Rank Member

I would admit that Classic's design is theoraticly more astheticly pleasing and makes more sence for what it Does, but I don't feel like Modern is as bad as some people make it out to be, altho I can't really explain it, there is just something....apealing to me about the modern design. I can't really explain it, but my personal story with that design is that I used to think it's better then classic because Modern looked more like a teenager and was focusing on being cool and looking older. which at the time I though was more important and so I took the cute aspect of Classic less seriously and somehow gravitated towards Modern a bit more. but I think over this years I lost that metality and I do love the Classic design a lot more now and it's honestly probably even cooler then Modern. but even with that, I can't say I hate Modern , maybe i'm just to used to him at this point.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  12. StrawHatLuffy

StrawHatLuffy E Rank Member

The Boom Design is clearly the greatest of all time:

[​IMG]

13. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped Resuming Dangerous Status

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand classic Sonic. The design is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of classic animation techniques most of the details will go over a typical player's head. There's also Sonic's pantomime expressions, which are deftly woven into his characterisation- his act draws heavily from the exhibitions of Joseph Grimaldi, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these actions, to realise that they're not just way past cool- they say something deep about LIFE.

14. Kono Mike da

Kono Mike da Sleepy

I'd gladly take a blend between the two. The late '90s era design, but a bit shorter.

15. EmeraldDebug

EmeraldDebug E Rank Member

I really liked sonic adventures style. I equally love the classic style though. I can't seem to chose.