don't click here

Classic or Modern Design?

Great Lange

The Great Lange
Apr 26, 2017
The Land of Waldos
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this were because it's always bothered me and I realize this may be an unpopular opinion but I really think the classic design is much better. I know the modern design has been around much longer now, but I still don't see it as the right design. The classic design is shorter, fatter, and has a nice combination of cute and cool that conveys the character better, while the modern design is edgier and lanky with exaggerated proportions. I have reference images below for comparison.

I really think Jim Davis dropped the ball on this and should've stuck to the classic Garfield design, I don't know what do you guys think?

Murasaki

Co-Creator of Sonic Utopia
Aug 29, 2017
When seeing them side-by-side, it's clear that the modern design is for kids with short attention spans. The classic design may not be the type of thing that's popular these days, but it has a lot more character to it. The design is made to complement a more complex and nuanced experience.

Lhancat

A Red Cat
Aug 29, 2017
I prefer the "modern" design. It's what I'm used to. Can it really be called Modern? That design has been used for years.

I didn't mind the live action movies but they could have made him more believable and less obvious CGI.

Last edited:

Clouder

The one and only
Aug 29, 2017
Personally, I like the design between Classic and Modern. It's the perfect blend imo

Barak

Green Hill Zone
Aug 13, 2017
Jew land
I would admit that Classic's design is theoraticly more astheticly pleasing and makes more sence for what it Does, but I don't feel like Modern is as bad as some people make it out to be, altho I can't really explain it, there is just something....apealing to me about the modern design. I can't really explain it, but my personal story with that design is that I used to think it's better then classic because Modern looked more like a teenager and was focusing on being cool and looking older. which at the time I though was more important and so I took the cute aspect of Classic less seriously and somehow gravitated towards Modern a bit more. but I think over this years I lost that metality and I do love the Classic design a lot more now and it's honestly probably even cooler then Modern. but even with that, I can't say I hate Modern , maybe i'm just to used to him at this point.

Last edited:

DimensionWarped

Resuming Dangerous Status
Aug 29, 2017
When seeing them side-by-side, it's clear that the modern design is for kids with short attention spans. The classic design may not be the type of thing that's popular these days, but it has a lot more character to it. The design is made to complement a more complex and nuanced experience.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand classic Sonic. The design is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of classic animation techniques most of the details will go over a typical player's head. There's also Sonic's pantomime expressions, which are deftly woven into his characterisation- his act draws heavily from the exhibitions of Joseph Grimaldi, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these actions, to realise that they're not just way past cool- they say something deep about LIFE.

EmeraldDebug

Press Start Screen
Oct 2, 2018
I really liked sonic adventures style. I equally love the classic style though. I can't seem to chose.