don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Complete Super Sonic Battle [SAGE ‘24 Release]

Overview

SSB-3d-thumbnail.jpg
Full fledged Sonic Fighting game - Super Sonic Battle. Developed to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the GBA title Sonic Battle! Also my first release as a developer! Features include:
- 50 Playable Characters/Alts
- 50 Stages
- 61 Songs from previous games
- Online Play
Controls:
- A = Left
- D = Right
- W = Up
- S = Down
- P = Attack / Confirm
- O = Special / Back
- Y = Smash
- T = Taunt
- I = Guard
- U = Grab
- ENTER = Pause / Confirm
- BACKSPACE = Back
-Alt Character: Hold U/I when placing a token
collage-working-3d-16x9.png

Media

Credits

See credits.txt file in game folder. Follow me on X/Twitter: https://x.com/gin_developer and YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@gin-developer

Comments

Unfortunately this game is much too rough and bare bones for my liking. I feel like in terms of gameplay, the engine is doing a lot of heavy lifting, And I feel like the game design isn't particularly thought out. The game has a smaller move pool than something like Smash or even Rivals of Aether, but this feels more like a product of sprite limitations than an intentional choice. A lot of characters aren't animated the way the sprite is intended to be animated (Shadow's Chaos spear is both backwards and is one of many to be reversed, and several other moves aren't aligned properly), clash stylistically (the modgen sprites really stand out, giving everyone an outline doesn't really help), or lack the amount of unique sprites needed to make a character, not just in a platform fighter, but even within this games limited move pool, with animations and sprites reused for different attacks, and some even having inconsistent, sprites, Metal Sonic for example, uses two different sprite sheets with very distinct appearances. I'm not too familiar with this engine, but many of the characters feel like templates, with the characters and animations applied based on preexisting templates. Many characters have strange, basic moves, many of which are shared amongst the cast. The menus are also bland, and the lack of sound really makes the experience more unsatisfying.
I'm sorry that my comment is so negative, I've just experienced a lot of Sonic fighting games with big claims that don't really do much to back them up. The roster is appreciated but it feels more like it negatively impacts the game with bloat rather than being a plus.

yeah this is actually pretty cool, i enjoyed trying to scrap it out with various characters. if this had more work put into it, it would make for a great game

Unfortunately this game is much too rough and bare bones for my liking. I feel like in terms of gameplay, the engine is doing a lot of heavy lifting, And I feel like the game design isn't particularly thought out. The game has a smaller move pool than something like Smash or even Rivals of Aether, but this feels more like a product of sprite limitations than an intentional choice. A lot of characters aren't animated the way the sprite is intended to be animated (Shadow's Chaos spear is both backwards and is one of many to be reversed, and several other moves aren't aligned properly), clash stylistically (the modgen sprites really stand out, giving everyone an outline doesn't really help), or lack the amount of unique sprites needed to make a character, not just in a platform fighter, but even within this games limited move pool, with animations and sprites reused for different attacks, and some even having inconsistent, sprites, Metal Sonic for example, uses two different sprite sheets with very distinct appearances. I'm not too familiar with this engine, but many of the characters feel like templates, with the characters and animations applied based on preexisting templates. Many characters have strange, basic moves, many of which are shared amongst the cast. The menus are also bland, and the lack of sound really makes the experience more unsatisfying.
I'm sorry that my comment is so negative, I've just experienced a lot of Sonic fighting games with big claims that don't really do much to back them up. The roster is appreciated but it feels more like it negatively impacts the game with bloat rather than being a plus.
Dude, its a just a fan game from a one man team. In almost every official Sonic release with multiple characters there’s alot of overlap in play styles minus their signature attacks. Minus minor edits I did myself, every sprite used in this game was previously existing. There are existing fan games with smaller rosters with more elaborate movesets that suits what you want. Clearly unrealistic to do for the roster size in this amount of time, and also an over saturated concept in the scene. This expectation for the first public release of a fan game to be even close Smash or Rivals is setting yourself up for failure.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a Sonic-centered Smash Bros game, because after so many years and games, this franchise has more than enough characters and locations to do the job.
Your game is fine as it is, I couldn't test it in multiplayer which is always better for this kind of game, but it works. I'd say it lacks overall of polishing, which is understandable considering it's your first project released, which is no mince meat!

For a hypothetical sequel, I would focus on making the game more pleasant to navigate through: as the moment, menus are very barebones and returning to the menu with no other message as soon as you die in the Challenge mode makes it feel unfinished. I'm not asking for cutscenes or anything, but having something that links the menus and the battles would be nice! There is also no easy way to simply do a single fight against AIs in the Battle Mode?
Some sprites also feel a bit inconsistent, so that could be another field to work on if you ever decide to revisit it.

Overall it's a nice concept, and could be the basics for a nice, more fleshed-out game somewhere down the line. Keep it up!

Item information

Added by
gin_developer
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item