don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo Prototype N SAGE 2024 DEMO

Overview

logowow.png

STORY

1725631957908.png
HQxxTWN.png

Destructive robots are running rampant on Turquoise Island! Nadine, a prototype robot of unknown origin, fights to save her home and friends while searching for her creator.

What's New?

• Cutscenes! The game now has a story! Selena herself finally debuts in the demo. Now you can see Nadine's cute casual outfit.
  • Language support! Currently playable in Brazilian Portuguese and Spanish!
  • Major level revamps, especially in every Abandoned Mines levels. The minecart segments found in Round 2 and 3 are split off into a brand new Round 4 level.
  • Weapon Rebalances. Several weapons got bug fixed and nerfed/buffed. This should encourage people to try more weapons!
  • Many many bug fixes. Overworld softlock is gone, several minor oddities has been fixed.

GAMEPLAY

Nadine using her Slide attack on a Turtlebot enemy.
Prototype N is a side scrolling shooting platformer. Nadine, a prototype android, has a limited loadout of weapons. She must use them to get through many stages filled with tricky obstacles such as dangerous robotic foes, hazardous traps and more!

1702043967560.png

Nadine shooting the boss, Tortoisebot EX, with the new weapon "Scatter Blast".

Nadine, equipped with her arm cannon, can shoot her way through the levels found in the game. While she is equipped with a little plasma shooter, there are several other weapons spread throughout the levels. Each have their own unique properties and interact with enemies and the environment in different ways. There are currently seven types of special weapons in this demo.

1702044184239.png

Nadine being protected from a fire projectile with the Fire Shield.

A major feature are Shields. The current demo only has 3 types of shields, Basic, Fire and Metal. Every shield protects you from up to two hits unless stated otherwise. Fire Shield protects you from fire projectiles from enemies and takes a hit from lava up to 4 times before wearing out. Metal Shield attracts items within a radius, it also protects you from spikes up to 4 times before wearing out. You can only find them from Shops.

1725630524487.png

Shield menu in Clara's Shop

Each level has several kind of collectables such as health pick ups, ammo refills, and Gems! Gems are this game's currency which you can use to buy Weapons and Shields in Shops found throughout the World Map. Shields can also be found in levels but are very rare.

1702043595445.png

Nadine encountering a DataChip
Another collection are DataChips, which are permanent collectables. Each stage has 3 of them to find while boss levels will reward you with one upon destroying the boss. Most Datachips contains data about enemies, locations and weapons and are all viewable in the Data Base found in the Main Menu.

1725630572450.png

A rather harsh Database entry of Troutmarine.

CHARACTERS

nadine.png

Nadine
Species: Android
The main protagonist of this game. She is a prototype who does not know who built or and why. She sets off to an adventure when a robot army invades the island she resides in.

clara.png

Clara
Species: Human
The shopkeeper and Nadine's closest friend. She, along with her sister, found Nadine in an inactive state on one fateful day. She is responsible for selling items that helps Nadine on her adventure. Clara sees Nadine as more than a friend.

selena.png

Selena
Species: Human
The mechanic and Clara's younger sister. She played a vital role in restoring Nadine when they've found her. Her incredibly impressive knowledge on machines allows her to build weapons and shields, but they come at the cost of using the Gems Nadine fines across the levels. Her older sister, Clara, runs the shop for these inventions. She is a big fan of lesser known video games and even owns a plush of several characters from them.

SNAPSHOTS

1725631543552.png
1725631563683.png
1725631809476.png
1725631526208.png
1725631473607.png
1725631916025.png
1725631393585.png
1725631334680.png
1725631859031.png
1725631689149.png

CHANGELOG

v4.9.0 (Log Soon)

CREDITS
-Creator-
Arrietty

-Programmer & Game Designer-
Arrietty

-Level Designer-
Arrietty
Kapus

-Character Designer-
Arrietty
Kapus
Lina Ciari

-Pixel Artist-
Arrietty
EngineerKappa
SuperFreaksDev

-Enemy Designer-
Arrietty
Kapus
Lina Ciari
Shaw

-SFX Designer-
Arrietty
Mr. Gurtz
Amy Wright
Sophie "DoricDream" Fay

-BGM Composers-
GreatSpaceAdventure
James Landino
Leilani "Woofle" Wilson
Amy Wright
Sophie "DoricDream" Fay

-Logo Designer-
MugenNimbus

-Localization-
Lina Ciari (Brazilian Portuguese)
Quarium (Spanish)

-SAGExpo Booth Promo Artists-
KKM (2020)
TheDuckGod (2021)
Lina Ciari (2022 & 2023)
EngineerKappa (C2023)

-Beta Testers-
Insy Pinsy
Sik
Elly
KiwamiZX
CSketch
RummySM
Saturn
Supersonic
Sharb

-Special Thanks-
RummySM
Flapperultra
Techokami
SFGHQ
ClickTeam
SEGA
Nintendo
Capcom

Social Media
Game's Cohost: https://cohost.org/PrototypeN
My Cohost: https://cohost.org/arrietty
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/arriettylunaris
My Discord: Arrietty
Reactions: Linatic

Latest reviews

Genuinely this game is so well designed, I actually recommend this with my whole heart it's genuinely just really fun and cozy going through this every time.

I'm actually very picky when it comes to 2D platformers, avoiding naming any popular ones at the risk of causing someone to get mad at me about ones that don't hold my interest but Prototype N with every demo has managed to completely grab hold of my attention and offer an experience that scratches an itch I've been missing from a lot of games.

The powerup system is fun to experiment and encourages experimentation, the level design is on point I don't think I ever hit a point where I ran into a gimmick and I was unprepared for it and the presentation is really well done!

Genuinely can't wait for this to be finished, might actually make it onto my top 10 list :3
Loved Diamond in the Grave, loved this.

Doesn't need to be compared to Megaman to know how good it is!
Cute Artstyle

Gameplay is pretty fun and solid!

Music is a banger. Looking forward to seeing more of this game!
KiwamiZX
KiwamiZX
Nadine my beloved

Comments

Any plans to release this on GOG.com in the future? I'm pretty sure there will be a Steam release, but would definitely like to see it on GOG in the future.

Any plans to release this on GOG.com in the future? I'm pretty sure there will be a Steam release, but would definitely like to see it on GOG in the future.
Steam release is kind of a "maybe" at the moment. It'll be on Itch, GOG is a consideration.

There is a nasty bug in Abandoned Mines Round 1 among other bugs and oversights. I'm working on a fix and I'll reupload the game soon.

EDIT: All fixed

Last edited:
Hi,
Just thought I'd say this demo is super polished and I really enjoy it! I'm especially a fan of the Mega Man style gameplay with special weapons as a pickup. That's the kind of experimentation I like to see!

There's no getting around this: This is a good, solid game! Everything seems to work as it should, and any screw-ups that happen are usually caused by the player. Can hardly wait to see what happens next.

This would be a great game to play on Steam Deck. This SAGE demo works fine under the Proton compatibility runtime, so I'm expecting it to run perfectly fine on Steam Deck. In other words, I'm just saying that releasing the full game on Steam will likely reach a wider audience.

This would be a great game to play on Steam Deck. This SAGE demo works fine under the Proton compatibility runtime, so I'm expecting it to run perfectly fine on Steam Deck. In other words, I'm just saying that releasing the full game on Steam will likely reach a wider audience.
I played it on Steamdeck and it seems to run at a choppy framerate until I set the launch command line as "PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%", then it ran extremely smooth since then.

As for Steam release, I'll give it thoughts. I'm not too huge on having forced community/messages boards on every game because there's too many Steam users that behaves kind of... less than savory towards transgender people like me and I have bad anxiety issues regarding that.

Thank you so much for the comment though, it is actually encouraging to hear that and made me think about a Steam release more.

Hi,
Just thought I'd say this demo is super polished and I really enjoy it! I'm especially a fan of the Mega Man style gameplay with special weapons as a pickup. That's the kind of experimentation I like to see!
Thank you!! I love experimenting with existing game formulas and twist them by mixing in more elements from other games or coming up with newer ideas. The weapon system is one I'm very proud of.

Had a lot of fun with this! One thing I would suggest is separate buttons for using the standard plasma shot versus the special weapons, similar to what Mega Man 8 or the X games from X4 onwards did; I think that better encourages use of the different weapons since you don't have to forsake the reliable buster to use them.

Had a lot of fun with this! One thing I would suggest is separate buttons for using the standard plasma shot versus the special weapons, similar to what Mega Man 8 or the X games from X4 onwards did; I think that better encourages use of the different weapons since you don't have to forsake the reliable buster to use them.
Oh, that's a pretty smart idea. I could try something like that! Thank you!

Item information

Added by
Arrietty
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 17 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item