don't click here

SAGE 2022 - Demo Over Jump Rally (SAGE '22 Demo)

General Information

Wishlist on Steam!

RALLY! Hot blazing sun!

Over Jump Rally is an indie homage to the legendary arcade rally racing game from 1994, Sega Rally, recreated in Unreal Engine 5, with graphics as you remember them as a kid!

Put your helmet on, fist-bump your co-pilot, and get ready to drive flat out for another lap in the legendary Forest stage!
Challenge yourself to improve your best times or just take a walk around the Yosemite Pioneer History Center where the event takes place... you might find some familiar faces!

And it's 1995, so... NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD AHEAD!!

WHAT'S THIS PROJECT ABOUT:
Over Jump is an independent and unofficial tribute to Sega Rally Championship, the glorious arcade racing game from 1994. The idea is to recreate it using Unreal Engine 5: refreshing the graphics to today's standards while keeping the same arcade driving style.

WHO IS BEHIND THIS:
My name is Alessandro Schiassi, and I've been a VFX Supervisor and VFX Artist for the past 16 years.
While I'm fairly new to the game development world, I have strong knowledge of CGI, photography, and how to combine the two to make photorealistic results. I'm quite excited to put those skills into a real-time engine like UE5!
In my experience, the best way to learn something is to have your own project while you are going through tutorials, so you can directly apply what you learn to something different and test new things. Back in the day, I learned VFX by working on MGS: Philanthropy, for example.

WHY SEGA RALLY:
At the time, the game had one of the best graphics around (if not THE best), running on a Model 2 arcade graphics card. This was an era where arcade games were fairly superior to any console or PC graphics. I spent countless hours playing it on the Sega Saturn, usually battling my brother in Versus mode. I also played the arcade version whenever I found it around.
My intent is to create a photo-realistic arcade game as a tribute to the golden age of SEGA.
Sega Rally, in particular, seemed the right choice for a beginner like myself since it has just 4 tracks and 3 cars in total.
The tracks are mostly natural landscapes, with just a few simple buildings, something fairly easy to create using Unreal Marketplace assets.
The car models (Lancia Delta, Toyota Celica, and Lancia Stratos) are readily available to be purchased, so are pretty much any 3D models you see in this demo.
The driving game mechanics are already accessible in UE5 out of the box, and there are some cool plugins that I can play around with.
As for the graphics... well, take a look at the images on this page. Those are in-game shots!
Last but not least, Sega has a very open-minded policy regarding indie games based on its IPs. Both Sonic Mania and Streets of Rage 4 started as unofficial fan projects, and they were later turned into official releases!

WHAT'S THE RELEASE PLAN:
I'm planning on completing the Forest track with a basic Time Attack mode, releasing it as a playable beta for free, and seeing what's Sega's response.
If they decide to bless the project and make it official, I'd be honored to complete the whole game and perhaps add some extra features.
Worst-case scenario, I just use all the assets for some cool cinematics with the beautiful OST as a background... and that would be GAME OVER, YEAH!

Hike around the Yosemite Forest, you might end up at this panoramic spot over the Yosemite Valley!

The Visitor Center offers various amenities... including an arcade!

Comments

I tried the main download link and my AVG warned me of phishing threat and aborted the connect. Just an FYI. I have instead tried a google drive link

I tried the main download link and my AVG warned me of phishing threat and aborted the connect. Just an FYI. I have instead tried a google drive link
Thanks! I also got an AVG warning, you can just ignore it. Or use other mirrors, as you suggested.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to run it. I guess my 750ti is too old, or the 512 GPU version is to blame, which I'm not updating for only a demo. I also wish a demo wouldn't be bigger than like AAA game demos. Good luck with development though.

Hi, first to say, very great job, it looks incredible. I am a big fan of the original game where I'm still playing on Sega Saturn.
This is definitely a must have for Saturn, not only because of its cult status, more that this game shows a near perfect port from an arcade automat with steering wheel, to a console played mostly with a gemapad. And this is the key. The steering is that success for that game, where its still one of the best in arcade games. Unfortunately I miss this in your demo, but for sure is this already in your schedule to adjust this in a maybe final version. If so, then you have made an absolutely never seen in the past, arcade game port for us all. I am waiting for a go... and by the way, I think I speek for a lot... Lets try after this one a SCUD RACE clone ;) good luck.

Hi, first to say, very great job, it looks incredible. I am a big fan of the original game where I'm still playing on Sega Saturn.
This is definitely a must have for Saturn, not only because of its cult status, more that this game shows a near perfect port from an arcade automat with steering wheel, to a console played mostly with a gemapad. And this is the key. The steering is that success for that game, where its still one of the best in arcade games. Unfortunately I miss this in your demo, but for sure is this already in your schedule to adjust this in a maybe final version. If so, then you have made an absolutely never seen in the past, arcade game port for us all. I am waiting for a go... and by the way, I think I speek for a lot... Lets try after this one a SCUD RACE clone ;) good luck.
I'm still improving the gameplay, that's for sure! Ang Scud Race would be really high on my list of games to remake, even higher than Daytona USA!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to run it. I guess my 750ti is too old, or the 512 GPU version is to blame, which I'm not updating for only a demo. I also wish a demo wouldn't be bigger than like AAA game demos. Good luck with development though.
The only UE5 demo comparable in size is the Valley of the Ancient, which is 24Gb... I could optimize it even more, but 4k textures take space. 13Gb is not that much, all things considered.

The only UE5 demo comparable in size is the Valley of the Ancient, which is 24Gb... I could optimize it even more, but 4k textures take space. 13Gb is not that much, all things considered.
I was comparing to the Shadow of the Tomb Raider demo, which was a AAA game and 10GBs. And even if you optimize it, for me it'll be no difference, because the game straight-up crashes saying that D3D Device either failed or not found. However, any kind of optimization will be appreciated from others.

I was comparing to the Shadow of the Tomb Raider demo, which was a AAA game and 10GBs. And even if you optimize it, for me it'll be no difference, because the game straight-up crashes saying that D3D Device either failed or not found. However, any kind of optimization will be appreciated from others.
Shadow of the Tomb Raider came out 4 years ago, it was a complete demo (not an alpha) done by a team with decades of experience, millions of dollars of budget. Exactly because it's AAA they have the resources to optimize it. I use AAA elements from Quixel and other sources. Not exactly the same thing, don't you think? And it was 14Gb.
Also, there is a limit on the amount of compression you can have on textures. I didn't play that demo but the area might have been smaller or with fewer elements. Again, the closest thing in UE5 is the Valley of the Ancient which has twice the size of mine.
I also had to meet the SAGE deadline. I already trimmed 2Gb since then, but I preferred putting my time on the gameplay. 13Gb for a demo you download and then discard the same day is nothing.

Last edited:
First, amazing, really, i want to do myself.
Now talking about that, does this have some kind of license? cars, championships, something?
Yes? No? I also want to make a game

First, amazing, really, i want to do myself.
Now talking about that, does this have some kind of license? cars, championships, something?
Yes? No? I also want to make a game
No licensing so far, but it's a free demo. I'm getting in touch for various licensing for the game and the cars.

Item information

Added by
vfXander
Views
Comments
Last update

More in Original Games

Share this item