don't click here

Fan Game [Looking for Concept Artists] Sonic Test Labs

Michael4Numbers

Spoil Rig Zone
Apr 21, 2023
Disclaimer:
This is only the Christmas SAGE 2023 demo at the moment but I plan to use this page in order to showcase any interesting updates we get every now and then like new stages and such!
Sometimes we will also put out calls for Testers!

SonicTestLabsLogoCropped.png
Welcome to Sonic: Test Labs!

Here at Hedgehog Testing Inc., we take the matter of rogue and spikey rodents very seriously. They're a threat and a menace to society!

So what have we decided to do? Take matters into our own hands by capturing these creatures and studying them to their fullest extent. All sponsored by G.U.N. of course!

Join us in our (current) trial consisting of (currently) 2 fully-fledged facilities! We've also got 1 facility that can be used as a testing ground!

Why wait? Give us a shot and let us know what you think!

DownloadButton.png

Follow us on Twitter!

Xbox Layout
A button - Jump/Homing attack
X button - Homing attack
Y button - Light Speed Dash
Left Bumper - Perform Trick
Right Bumper - Roll/Spin Dash
Left Stick - Movement
Right Stick - Camera

Keyboard Layout
Spacebar - Jump/Homing attack
Left Click - Homing attack
Left Shift - Light Speed Dash
Right click - Perform Trick
Left Control - Roll/Spin Dash
WASD - Movement
Mouse - Camera

Last edited:
Reactions: Valeev

Michael4Numbers

Spoil Rig Zone
Apr 21, 2023
First things first, the single biggest issue people had with the first Demo was Sonic's model. I'm happy to tell everyone, I've given him a good meal and a do-over. Let us know what you think!

Before:

After:

By the way, the running animation for the new model has been tweaked to have open hands and more visible head bobbing, the video is as old as the model itself lol.

Reactions: Valeev

Michael4Numbers

Spoil Rig Zone
Apr 21, 2023
Hey all!
We're looking to set up an initial round of testers for our game!

A couple of things to take into account first:
You'll need a relatively decent computer to be able to play! We don't have optimizations as our current priority!
You'll also need to have a Gamejolt account and a Discord account.

Reply below if you'd like a chance at it!
We'll send you a direct message with the discord invite link that you'll be able to use and once you join you'll be given the Gamejolt key!

Michael4Numbers

Spoil Rig Zone
Apr 21, 2023
Hey all!

Sonic Test Labs just got a new demo for Christmas SAGE 2023! Check it out here!

This demo contains 2 new levels and also a new test map containing a very early WIP version of Tangle!

Have fun!

Valeev

sonic crocodile my beloved
Aug 14, 2017
I'm glad to see the game getting significant updates, and overall this is one of the most solid 3d projects I've seen in a while. I especially like the level designs and the various little situations that happen to Sonic along his journey. The sudden change of pase at the ocean base, the kaleidoscope of trains, and the rock concert in the middle of the level - all of this looks cool and is helping the game to stand out.

How does it feel to have possibly the first ever game with fully playable Tangle?

Reactions: Michael4Numbers

Michael4Numbers

Spoil Rig Zone
Apr 21, 2023
I'm glad to see the game getting significant updates, and overall this is one of the most solid 3d projects I've seen in a while. I especially like the level designs and the various little situations that happen to Sonic along his journey. The sudden change of pase at the ocean base, the kaleidoscope of trains, and the rock concert in the middle of the level - all of this looks cool and is helping the game to stand out.

How does it feel to have possibly the first ever game with fully playable Tangle?
It feels pretty neat! Looking forward to developing more stuff for her. Whisper too! She'll show up eventually... with rocket jumping included

NormalGraham

Press Start Screen
Dec 12, 2023
It's really fun, but PLEASE allow players to remap their controls. Putting spin on R1 makes a certain sense, great idea on paper, but it's honestly antithetical to the way my brain understands things. I'd much rather R1 be jump and L1 be spin but I get that we all think of things differently.

Michael4Numbers

Spoil Rig Zone
Apr 21, 2023
It's really fun, but PLEASE allow players to remap their controls. Putting spin on R1 makes a certain sense, great idea on paper, but it's honestly antithetical to the way my brain understands things. I'd much rather R1 be jump and L1 be spin but I get that we all think of things differently.
Remapping might possibly come in the future, but there are no plans for that yet as we don't know if we'll add more moves to the game yet. This is more of a thing that needs to get added near the game's completion. I completely understand though

Reactions: NormalGraham

Michael4Numbers

Spoil Rig Zone
Apr 21, 2023
Hey all!

We're looking for Concept Artists to help with environment design in Sonic Test Labs! DM me or reply below with some of your work examples!

This is NOT paid work, it is done for fun.

WeWantYouFinal (Custom).png WeWantYouFinal2.png

Michael4Numbers

Spoil Rig Zone
Apr 21, 2023
It just needs to be any of your previous art pieces that match up close enough with what I'm looking for! In this case, environment concept art. You can also show any other art pieces that you want that you think may be relevant to a concept art position!