don't click here

Looking for an engine that more resembles the adventure game physics/ controls

Broses

Green Hill Zone
May 31, 2020
Hello,
I've been using sonic fan engines for a while and while I do enjoy the boost style, I'd want to use an engine that more resembles the feeling of the older games (Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow, 06) In terms of physics, movement, and overall feeling. If anyone can send me an engine that fits this criteria, it would be appreciated!

SeanMorris

Green Hill Zone
Mar 8, 2021
I've been trying to find any existing analysis on the Adventure games' physics and the closest I could do was Heroes. The air physics are what throw me off the most about it. I could very easily be wrong, but it almost seems as if the main factor is actually air resistance. It seems like gravity doesn't "kick in" until your horizontal speed drops below a certain value, then the downward curve of the jump is the about the same no matter what speed you left the ground at.

Don't even get me started on springs, they're even more confusing. It seems like when you hit one, all momentum is zeroed out, your gravity is turned off and your air resistance is maxxed out, and again gravity doesn't activate until all spring momentum has decayed. There are horizontal springs in Lost World Zone that really show this effect. Watch the way sonic lands when he shoots off the last spring. They tried to line it up so that it looked natural but if you look closely you can see it clearly. 2:47 if it doesn't auto-skip.

Stationary jumps are even MORE confusing. You hold the button and you just HANG in the air for 10-15 frame before gravity activates. I'm sure they tuned it to the play-style but when you really think about it, it gets confusing FAST.

Edit: Here's the analysis on Heroes' physics if it helps:

https://sonicheroesspeedruns.fandom.com/wiki/Physics#Gravity