don't click here

Christmas SAGE 2023 Soda-Powered Penguin Demo (C. Sage '23 Flavor)

Overview

penguine_key_art_final_16x9.png

newBB1.gif
newBB2.gif

Soda-Powered Penguin is a fast-paced, momentum-driven precision platformer featuring a destructive penguin strapped to a soda bottle. The soda bottle enables dashes, double jumps, and lots of speed- all of which is used to conquer hand-crafted challenges.

This demo includes...
  • 2 full-length levels
  • 30+ collectable bottlecaps
  • Controller and keyboard support
  • Fully remappable controls
  • Extensive options + an assist mode
  • Destructive speed!
  • Squeezing into tiny gaps!
  • Maybe even a secret challenge level?

Average playtime for each of the full-length levels hovers around 15-45 minutes, depending on prior platforming experience, completionism, etc. 100% completion files tend to have 2-3 hours playtime.

The game is still in development, so many aspects are still subject to change. Anatarctic Alcove and other levels will eventually be visually updated to the same visual standard as Big Beginning.

Bug reports and suggestions are highly appreciated! Send them over on the Discord!

New Stuff
  • Completely refreshed visuals for Big Beginning
  • File select
  • Bottlecap collection screen
  • Dedicated stats screen
  • New options
  • Countless gameplay & UI fixes
  • Plenty of quality-of-life additions
  • Level tweaks to make things just a bit friendlier

While this demo does feature the same set of levels as the SAGE '22 demo, (it's already a pretty big demo!) I'd highly encourage replaying the game. It looks, sounds, and feels better than ever!

I also want to note that development is progressing smoothly! Compared to last year, we've been able to make three full-sized levels and develop plenty of new and interesting mechanics. I'm excited for when people eventually get to play them! (If you find yourself wanting to financially support the project, and maybe want to play even more SPP, two of these levels are currently playable in the latest Patreon build!)
Changes from V1.0 of the demo to V1.1. RIP to the 310 downloads prior.

Fixes
  • Fix an issue where assist & flavor modes would be enabled when starting a new save. None of the options would be applied when accessing the modes in this way.
  • Fix an issue where the bottlecap count in the level Did Don’t Do would be incorrect
  • Updated credits to add missing names & fix typos
  • Fixed the room order of the Anatarctic Alcove level to make finding bottlecaps easier
  • Miscellaneous edits to the Little Bubble level
  • Fixed double landing audio on respawn
  • Fixed an issue where outdated save files would not be able to access certain levels
  • Rumble is now reset any time the rumble settings are adjusted
  • Fixed issue where bottlecap would play its collection animation on reset
  • Fixed some masking on the results screen
  • Fixed an issue where the title screen would persist into gameplay
  • Fixed the bubble sprite sometimes going invisible
  • Fixed an issue where bottlecaps could not be collected at checkpoints
  • Fixed an issue where the countdown key would continue to follow the penguin after countdown elapse- but it wouldn’t be in the penguin’s inventory, so it couldn’t be used to unlock anything
Additions
  • When selecting a level subsection, an arrow will point to where that subsection is within the bottlecap list
  • Updated level subsection navigation
  • Added level intro text
  • Added a prompt to press up in order to interact with doors and other objects
  • Added a single bottlecap to the hub & an associated dive tutorial

Screenshots

screenshot1.png screenshot2.png screenshot3.png screenshot4.png

If you enjoyed this demo, here are some ways you can follow & support the project:

Wishlists help a lot! Be sure to head on over to the Steam page!

You can follow the project's development on Twitter or Discord!

And finally: if you'd like to financially support the project, check out the Patreon!

Latest reviews

Brilliant brilliant game. I've reviewed it before but had to drop a new review for this game. Fantastic momentum based gameplay with feels so satisfying. Plus a penguin chirp button too. What else more could you want? Looking forward to the full release.
Reactions: Domo Yoro

Comments

Excellent work! I've wishlisted on Steam

It would be nice to have the escape sequence save your progress, though I guess that might not work with the way the countdown works

Excellent work! I've wishlisted on Steam

It would be nice to have the escape sequence save your progress, though I guess that might not work with the way the countdown works
Heya, I'm glad you enjoyed playing!

The countdown sequence does save any bottlecaps you've turned in at checkpoints, even if the sequence is reset. Additionally, if you re-enter the level, you can start from at the countdown sequence. If neither of these refer to the progress you'd like saved, let me know what can be improved!

Heya, I'm glad you enjoyed playing!

The countdown sequence does save any bottlecaps you've turned in at checkpoints, even if the sequence is reset. Additionally, if you re-enter the level, you can start from at the countdown sequence. If neither of these refer to the progress you'd like saved, let me know what can be improved!
I meant that when you run out of time, you have to start from full countdown time at the beginning of the escape (ie. the very end of the level)

I realize that the escape sequence does streamline a few areas, but there were a few spots that used up most of my countdown time, such as this one, starting at 7:45 (not my own footage btw)

I get that you might not want to make it too easy ... I did manage to finish it after all!

Item information

Added by
Domo Yoro
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

More in Original Games

More from Domo Yoro

Share this item