don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Complete Mega Man X8 16-bit

Overview

Mega Man X8 16-bit is a reimagining of the PS2 original with SNES styled graphics. The aim was to demake X8 in a similar feel to the first three Mega Man X games, while trying to actually finish a low-scope fangame. And guess what? After two and a half years of intense work, V1.0 is finally here!

This fangame is fully playable from start to finish with X!

FAQ

Q: Why X8?

Because X8 is my favorite Megaman X game, alongside X3 and X1! This is not a replacement nor was I trying to 'fix' the original game. I intended to create a 'snes remix' of X8 with my personal taste sprinkled in. The original game is great and if you haven't played, do consider giving it a try!

Q: Are Zero, Axl and the Navigators playable?
No, they were never planned to be implemented as I always intended this project to be simple in scope. I always tried to be clear on this aspect, so to not lead people with promises I never intended to fulfill while dragging the project for years as many do.

However, now that the original planned scope is complete, I might revisit it in a few years and consider adding them in, but no promises as I'll be focused on other original projects for the foreseeable future.

Q: Are there any Secrets?
There are no secret techniques or armors, but there are three hidden boss fights, in a place that should be familiar to X8 veterans.

Q: Is the game hard?
I've made this fangame with veteran Mega Man X players in mind, so it is intended to be a challenge, specially the final and secret bosses. Bosses also don't flinch when hit by their weakness - only when hit by the charged version, so relying entirely on weaknesses might not be a good idea, although the charged weakness is helpful in interrupting dangerous attacks. However, boss do have low iframe after being hit, so mashing lemons between charge shots is always a good strategy. Searching for and using the SubTanks is probably also a good idea. There are four, just like in the SNES trilogy.

Q: How is the performance?
I tried my best to optimize the performance of the game, but I'm afraid it won't run very well on low-end and older PCs. Give it a shot, and maybe try messing with the target FPS setting. Higher target FPS is way more CPU intensive. Some bugs are expected and I'll iron these out with time.

Q: Do you plan on doing X7 next?
Other than the characters of Red and Axl, I don't really like X7. I don't think these type of projects work when you don't like the source material, so I don't intend on doing a X7 16-bit anytime soon.

Q: How long was this project worked on, how many people worked on it and what tools were used?
The project was entirely done by me - Alysson da Paz, aka Alones. I had help with the spanish translation and testing. No AI tools were used in any way. I used Aseprite, Audacity, Tiled and Godot Engine, and have been working on it since 2022. Around 3000 hours spent on it!

imagem_2024-09-06_091119951.png

Updates

1.0.0.7 - 07/09/24
  • Fixed Vile not exiting his ride armor if hit only by his weakness.
  • Fixed Charged ThunderDancer sometimes not opening the passages in Troia Base.
  • Fixed Charged Thunder Dancer not giving the proper invincibility frames after usage.
  • Fixed Pitch Black not properly activating Wall Enemies after X is detected by the searchlights.
  • Fixed some localization mistakes.

Credits

Art, Programming and Sound Mixing:
Alysson da Paz

Spanish Translation:
Roberto Carlos Martinez Escudero

Secret Boss 1 Theme Remix:
Samuel "Streg" Oliveira

Latest reviews

Hey it's awesome and I think the work and changes you put in are super awesome, Pitch Black in particular has been amazing so far. (Haven't finished it yet)

But MAN, I'm posting this because I can't get my RIDE ARMOR through the damn door in Booster Forest and I don't know why. ;-;

Plz send help.

EDIT: Well uh... just nevermind I guess. I didn't know you could punch the doors. T-T I had to fight Bamboo pandamonium with no upgrades, or ride armor... he took 5 lives in a row... I also died so much in a row without restarting the whole thing because of all the extra lives I earned from dying over and over again in the rest of the stage.

This game REALLY needs a wiki or something soon. Top tier man, 10/10 can punch open boss doors in Ride Armor.

EDIT2: Okay I just ran into a WEIRD glitch. I was playing the stage the right way (Thank God) until I ran into one of those eyeball enemies and the camera fell off and into the pit?? It killed me instantly and I was STILL in the Ride Armor when I ran into it too. Weird stuff man, idk what's up with that. I think maybe you need to disable it's grabbing when you collide with it in Ride Armor. <_<

EDIT3: Not 100%, it might have been my i-frames making X invis to me in the moment and it was normal. <_< idk, I did actually get X grabbed and not the ride armor this time so I have no idea.
Last edited:
Ridiculously well done.
Wish Capcom would hire this guy to direct MMX9.
This is absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!! 10/10!! You fixed x8 forever!!!! What a time to be alive!
Send your patreon or similar, so people can crowdfunding your work on other ventures!!
Please, make the x7, x6, x5, x4 demake (especially x7)!
You can fix the megaman series!

(you could also create x9 and so on! i would gladly help founding)

Comments

Hello. Is there a way to import your save file from the last demo? I would like to continue off of where I was last. Thank you.
Unfortunately no, as I changed how the save works since then, breaking compatibility with demo 3. Sorry about that!

Had a lotta fun with this one, though I gotta ask, how do I access the 3rd secret boss? I beat the game and defeated the other 2 secret bosses but the red portal isn't opening.
You need to unequip your armor, hearts and subtanks. Then it will be available! You also need to have defeated all eight maverick bosses and attained SSS rank once, but you already did that. Good Luck!

Tenho a obrigação de aplaudir isso, parabéns pelo demake, ele é Digno da fama que vinha tendo.
Vim, também, oferecer uma reflexão: com esse potencial todo, por que não reconsiderar o projeto de demake do infame X7?
Do seu trabalho poderia ser corrigida a mais grosseira derrapada da história dessa franquia, refazer aquilo que é considerado um dos piores jogos de video game da história.

Please, reconsider your actions, make X7 great again.

Ps.: teve algum apoia-se ou donate? merecia...

Tenho a obrigação de aplaudir isso, parabéns pelo demake, ele é Digno da fama que vinha tendo.
Vim, também, oferecer uma reflexão: com esse potencial todo, por que não reconsiderar o projeto de demake do infame X7?
Do seu trabalho poderia ser corrigida a mais grosseira derrapada da história dessa franquia, refazer aquilo que é considerado um dos piores jogos de video game da história.

Please, reconsider your actions, make X7 great again.

Ps.: teve algum apoia-se ou donate? merecia...
Como eu mencionei no FAQ, não acho que esse tipo de projeto funciona se o desenvolvedor não gosta do material fonte. Eu não gosto do X7 então não sou o tipo de pessoa que deveria encabeçar um projeto assim nem de longe, haha.

E pra mim fangames são obras de carinho e paixão, não meios de arrecadar dinheiro. Então não, nada de apoia-se nem donate!

only thing thats bothering me is that there is no D pad input for the Dash like in the SNES games.

Nevermind I see it was a setting that needed to be turned on in the options it works perfectly now and works great on the steam deck too.

great job though feels very close to the original games great sprite work too, im looking forward to seeing what you do in future updates.

Last edited:
Queria muito poder jogar essa fã game, já vi vídeo do povo zerando e tá muito foda e boa, pena q não consigo jogar pq tô no celular

This game is so good that it feels like if it was an original release and not fan-made.

Awesome job Alysson!

BTW is there a way you can fix X's name in Gigabolt Manowar stage? since he refers to himself as "Mega Man X" when his name is just "X".

1000167652.jpg
1000167653.jpg

Thanks for this brilliant work!

I really wanna play this game, but the exe file just won't start up for me, I open it up but it stays on a black screen, does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Kudos to everyone who worked on this, it is one of the best fan-made games that have come out this year, or maybe ever ^^

Weird, I tested the game with my 8bitdo SN30 Pro. If the issue persists, try remapping the controllers to the usual buttons again, it seems to fix some issues!
Remapping the controller cleared it up. I remember there being some setting in Godot 3 that caused that in the past but I forget what it was. Time to head back in!

Melhor Fan game que eu joguei. É muito bom ver o jogo finalmente completo e a espera valeu (e muito) a pena. jogo mostrou um profissionalismo muito bom com muita coisa e me diverti muito jogando. O criador desse jogo teve muito carinho e amor com esse game e isso é evidente. É um negócio incrível e merece ser reconhecido na SAGE.
Um salve de palmas para AlyssonDaPaz, porque o cara é um mito! Um MITO!

As a fan of the series and X8 being in my top 3, I really love how this fangame looks and plays. The animations, combat and weapons, sprite work... Everything is amazing. The only criticism I have is that while the project aims for an SNES and 16-bit feel, X's SNES sprite sometimes feels out of place with the rest of the graphics and animations, like it needed an update to match the visuals.

This game is so good that it feels like if it was an original release and not fan-made.

Awesome job Alysson!

BTW is there a way you can fix X's name in Gigabolt Manowar stage? since he refers to himself as "Mega Man X" when his name is just "X".

View attachment 34194View attachment 34195

Thanks for this brilliant work!
1000167688.jpg
1000167687.jpg

Just noticed it also happens against Serenade. Mega Man X is the name of the series, while the main character is just X. So if this can be fixed it would be really appreciated.

I wanna congratulate you again for this amazing project, I've spent lots of hours playing it and it's been fantastic, so thanks again!

Olá Alysson zerei seu jogo pela primeira vez e fiquei muito feliz com a dedicação e carinho que foram postos no mesmo, notei que a comunidade de megaman veio te criticando pesado no seu game, mas não se deixe abalar por comentários de pessoas invejosas que querem apenas seu mal, tanto fisicamente e emocionalmente, cara isso é uma obra de arte pode ficar orgulhoso do que fez, mas infelizmente eu não conseguie fazer 100% das conquistas porque 2 delas estão bugadas uma é a do primrose e a outra é do Pelé, o resto fiz questão de completar, mas a lumine 2 sem armadura foi difícil kkkk mas consegui, valeu por ter feito esse jogasso de coração mesmo, ficou difícil do jeito que eu gosto.

Mega Man X is the name of the series, while the main character is just X. So if this can be fixed it would be really appreciated.

I wanna congratulate you again for this amazing project, I've spent lots of hours playing it and it's been fantastic, so thanks again!
Hey Kurigohan! That name is not an error. The character of X is referenced as "Mega Man X" in various dialogues in the original SNES trilogy's western translation, so I wanted to have that same translation quirk in this fangame also.

Btw, thank you and everyone else for the kind words!

Olá Alysson zerei seu jogo pela primeira vez e fiquei muito feliz com a dedicação e carinho que foram postos no mesmo, notei que a comunidade de megaman veio te criticando pesado no seu game, mas não se deixe abalar por comentários de pessoas invejosas que querem apenas seu mal, tanto fisicamente e emocionalmente, cara isso é uma obra de arte pode ficar orgulhoso do que fez, mas infelizmente eu não conseguie fazer 100% das conquistas porque 2 delas estão bugadas uma é a do primrose e a outra é do Pelé, o resto fiz questão de completar, mas a lumine 2 sem armadura foi difícil kkkk mas consegui, valeu por ter feito esse jogasso de coração mesmo, ficou difícil do jeito que eu gosto.
Valeu pelas palavras, Tetris! E brabo demais, parabéns pelas conquistas! A do Antônio eu ajeitei aqui e vai estar corrigida no próximo update.

A Pelé dos Games está funcionando na 1.0.0.7, ela só é meio complicadinha. Se errar, precisa passar a fase toda de novo. Esse vídeo mostra como funciona no X2, e é a mesma ideia no X8 16-bit:

Hi. I'm playing this using keyboard because for some reason my 8bitdo ultimate has a few problems with this when i try to bind keys to it.
For some reason the menu button is bound to face button right even if i set it to something else the original button also does the same. I was trying to set it to dash but every time i dash it opens up the menu as well. and uh.. shot 2 i believe is bound to face button down....
another issue is sometimes the movement buttons dont work in menu. the animation and the light flickering just freezes if i try to move down or any other direction. i have to use the mouse to click on options.
Idk what to do
Could really use a default input option.
Otherwise, the game is really well made. mad respect.

Last edited:
I am a Mega Man player from China, and in the Chinese Mega Man community, everyone greatly appreciates your work. Mega Man X8 is also my favorite game. Thank you for creating such an outstanding piece of work.

“ I was moved to tears; the fan-made work is even better than the official one. ”

Item information

Added by
AlyssonDaPaz
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.87 star(s) 23 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item