don't click here

Mega Man Overdrive

Had solid fundamentals and good aesthetics, but the level is long-winded for a Megaman level and the gimmicks overstay their welcome.
Reactions: supercrownjosie
I wanted to like this demo but the further I got into Thaw Man's stage, the more fed up I got.
My rating isn't me saying it's poorly made, as the graphics, music and controls are all pretty good, my problems come in when I look at the level itself.

The level design itself is pretty solid for a Mega Man game with a decent variety of enemies and stage gimmicks, and there being enough room for you to react to what's coming ahead, but then the stage keeps going, and going, and going. Wherever you might think the boss door is coming up, it ends up just being another checkpoint room that leads to another huge chunk of the level that's practically the length of an average Mega Man level.
The stage does introduce elements like minecart segments and an avalanche into the mix as you go further, but that won't stop you from getting bored with the level after a while. I kept track of when I extracted the game to when I just reached the robot master door, and it totalled to roughly 20 - 25 minutes of in-game playtime. In that amount of time, you could have defeated most (if not all) of the robot masters in any of the official Mega Man games.
I think if the stage has to go for as long as it is currently, the game could split up the sections into smaller, act based stages ala the 2D Sonic games. That way it will allow moments where players can take a breather in-between those big chunks of level, and if someone is playing on limited lives, it won't make Game Overs nearly as devastating as I fear they could be in the full game.

The boss at the end didn't really make the journey worth it. I like Thaw Man's character design but the boss itself suffers from its attack pattern being completely random with not much telegraphs (mainly with the jumping). I've had multiple moments where I got backed into a corner with some of these attacks, and there was little I could do to escape from my demise.
The boss could be redeemed if the jumping was timed to Mega Man jumping or shooting (kind of like Crash Man or Jewel Man respectively), and have some added cool down (pun not intended) time between the attacks so that way it allows room for the player to dodge and get ready for his next attack.

I really want this game to succeed after seeing the excellent level art be accompanied by some pretty good music, but the level pacing needs some tweaking if the devs want to prevent this game from becoming monotonous to play. It's worth a look for fans of Mega Man, but if you get bored at a certain point in the demo, and you think you've seen everything you want to see for now, don't be afraid to close the game down.
Last edited:
Reactions: BluesClues