don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo GingerSnap

Overview

Demo for an Upcoming 3D Fighting Platformer!

Collect and combine ingredients for a wide combination of moves. Inspired by old N64/PS1/Dreamcast era favorites, like Kirby 64, Mega Man and Sonic!

Included are 5 levels to help get a taste for what the full game is like!
This is an early build and all things will be improved!

Media

Updates

9/8/2024 - Adjusted how the element system works based on feedback! Elements always go directly to your d-pad, now!
9/9/2024 - Keys now look like keys! Wow!

Credits

Game Design, programming, level design by Meepalasheep

Player Models by Velsaebunn: https://twitter.com/velsaebvnn

Character Designs and Art by Eyes: https://ko-fi.com/eyeseeyou/commissions

Original Soundtrack by Kurio: https://soundcloud.com/kuriomusic-commissions

Latest reviews

I meant to leave a rating yesterday woops.
The base mechanics in the game are very interesting and with some time, polish, and sound fx, I can see your game becoming a fantastic and unique experience.
Reactions: Meepalasheep

Comments

The movement was stiff at first, but then I realized that it's actually super controllable. I occasionally dashed off cliffs thinking I could cancel the dash, which is something you could consider adding.
Because the movement was so responsive I felt in control the whole time and found maneuvering and dashing around the world and enemies super satisfying. She was also super forgiving on tiny platforms which was awesome.

There are a couple things that were a little frustrating.

First, it's very hard to jump while going down a slope, you might want to buffer the grounded state for a bit so the player can jump for a short time after leaving the ground.

Second, I would strongly advise removing the mechanic where picking up an element automatically tries to use it. It's super frustrating to see elements I want underneath ones I don't want, try to grab them, pickup the wrong ones, get stuck with a combo I didn't want, AND lose the elements I did want because they were consumed by the ability I didn't want. If you're going for a Kirby like mechanic where you can combine elements together you need to let the player explicitly decide when they want to add an element.

Other than that the game is pretty fun, the ability to chain dash is awesome and I love that you can change direction with it as well. Reminds me of Hyperlight Drifter which is a huge W.
Also Ginger adorable.

Thanks for the feedback!

If I understand you correctly, you can actually cancel dashes with Guard/RB! But you might be talking about something else, idk.

I think the movement comes off "stiff" at first because of the animations, which could use a helluva lot of polish. And will certainly be receiving polish.

Yeah, I'll certainly add a buffer for the grounded state. There's a portion in the jungle level I think would benefit a lot from that.

And yeah, that's something I've been tooling around with. Just wondering if it might be too confusing to players. But I want to make it where if you hold on LB, you don't pick up elements. Or vice versa. Like, pressing a button picks up elements.

Again, thank you so much for the feedback. Thanks for playing!

Thanks for the feedback!

If I understand you correctly, you can actually cancel dashes with Guard/RB! But you might be talking about something else, idk.

I think the movement comes off "stiff" at first because of the animations, which could use a helluva lot of polish. And will certainly be receiving polish.

Yeah, I'll certainly add a buffer for the grounded state. There's a portion in the jungle level I think would benefit a lot from that.

And yeah, that's something I've been tooling around with. Just wondering if it might be too confusing to players. But I want to make it where if you hold on LB, you don't pick up elements. Or vice versa. Like, pressing a button picks up elements.

Again, thank you so much for the feedback. Thanks for playing!
omg I completely forgot that you mentioned in the tutorial that guard is how you cancel the dash, that's user error on my part.

For the element pickup, honestly I think all you should change is making it so that the elements don't auto equip and just go into your stored elements until you chose to use them.

Anyways, you got a great thing going, keep up the good work!

For the element pickup, honestly I think all you should change is making it so that the elements don't auto equip and just go into your stored elements until you chose to use them.
I made it so it works exactly like this, thanks for your feedback, again!

Item information

Added by
Meepalasheep
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item