don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo Bun 'N' Gun - '24 Demo

Overview

Render.png
Bun N' Gun is back!!!
again.

This years demo features some pretty major overhauls for the better, taking on a tonne of feedback this new demo, featuring better physics, clearer goals, accessibility features, and more places to explore.

Explore and run around Wilder West, find the giant Snake and free 20 Bats, talk to Star for tips and find 5 Bunny letters, something special might happen if you find everything!

Wanna support the game?
Join the Patreon https://www.patreon.com/Sharb
and get access to early builds and updates bi weekly, including other non bun n' gun related projects.

BunNGun3.png

Media

Updates

• fixed some bats from not spawning for timed challenges
  • added a total to the bat count so you can track your progress

Credits

Sharb - Head Game Designer (Levels, Art, Programming, Sounds)
Sophie - Tester
Arrietty - Tester
Saturn - Tester
Casstui - Writer, Tester
RummySM - Tester, Artist, Modeler, Animator
ShyPixels - Artist, Star VA
Take-a-nobu - Music
Dimmers - Music
Chris - Linux Testing
PicsAndPixels - Concept art

Latest reviews

Bun N' Gun is shaping up to be amazing! I really love the game's flow and movement. ^^
Also all of the bats having their own name and description is such a cute touch! Looking forward to the future of this game!
Reactions: Sharb
I had a good time! The controls worked well, I like the visuals thus far, the songs are good and very catchy, the level design is nice, I think the boss is pretty good for what it is, the costume feature is a nice touch...

Sure, I'll admit, I did get a bit confused on where to go sometimes, but by the end of it I can safely conclude that's mostly a me problem for not being somebody with a particularly good sense of direction, the game did actually kinda try to clue me in on where it was that I needed to be going well enough I'm pretty sure, I just didn't have the sense of direction needed to always immediately catch onto what direction I needed to be going from there.

The fact that I was able to ultimately find my way around is probably a good sign the level design is doing something right when it comes to navigation because frankly my sense of direction can be terrible sometimes, and given the level isn't the most straightforward layout ever, that's definitely a good accomplishment to pull off in something a bit less linear.

And like... the radar feature thing generally helped me figure out how to fill in the gaps from there when I couldn't figure out where I specifically needed to go as well, I just sometimes needed a bit longer than if I'd just, y'know, used the other clues the game had right there a bit better. Really appreciate that mechanic for telling you what direction to be going and how close you are.

I probably have more thoughts I could get into but I'm a bit sleepy today due to not having slept the best and I'm not sure I can properly put the rest to words for the moment, might update later with better further thoughts if I can remember to but for now this should be good enough anyway, so if I forget to update this or just, can't think of more to say later, eh, probably good enough.
Pros:
+ Designs and graphics are great
+ The gameplay loop is satisfying
+ The descriptions of each bat are charming
+ Swinging is initially hard to grasp but becomes amazing with practice and even better when paired with speed and timing
+ Level design is well thought out

Cons:
- Acceleration is 0-1000 which makes platforming in smaller areas tougher
- Ground control can be unwieldy - at least with WASD. I recommend Mouse camera movement where you can
- The one music track, while good, becomes repetitive after a while especially when there isn't a lot of flair or punch to other SFX like shooting or collecting Bats
- The camera is generally good but I find when right up against walls or rolling down very vertical surfaces it shoots straight up or down which can be disorienting especially in the rolling example

Issues:
- (Known) When trying to enter time attack you might get a visual bug with a long bar across the screen. Quickly pausing and unpausing supposedly removes this
- When trying to change outfits/colours, I hit apply with enter and it double opens the menu again. This can be repeated ad nauseum and you can also get the game to continue playing with the outfit changer still on screen, but it becomes difficult to close the game or keep playing beyond this

In spite of the cons and issues the gameplay is just THAT fun and it's super addicting to just roll around and use the swing to get to areas early or in fun ways - a lot of thought was put into this as secrets are hidden with this aspect in mind, so you're rewarded for your practice. Plus the protag is just really cute :)

With just a bit of a spitshine and refinement this will easily be a 10/10 on all fronts, and I'm still confident to rate it 5/5 here just on the fun factor and potential shown. Keep it up!

Comments

I was surprised how much content you had! It felt like the game always had another cool island hidden somewhere for me to uncover.
I found the wall jumping ability tricky to use, not sure if there was a tutorial or explanation for it that I missed somewhere, but I sort of got an idea how it works by experimenting with it.
I really liked your camera. I very rarely had to adjust it and I found it was making a very active effort to show me the direction I wanted to go, even in tight spaces like the cactus tower it was still solid.
The unique bat pickup text was cute and funny touch.

Item information

Added by
Sharb
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.71 star(s) 7 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games

More from Sharb