don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo Blocks for Babies (SAGE '24 Demo)

Overview

Puzzlers... prepare to meet your Doom.

BlocksForBabiesSampleSteamSmall.gif

Blocks for Babies is a tetromino-dropping roguelite shooter where you jump between 2D and 3D to shoot and shape your board. Hard and soft drops aren't your only tools anymore... now you have a shotgun.

Form complete rows to clear lines in 2D, shoot to kill in 3D, and help Flapper clean up his blocks by any means necessary. It's classic puzzle gameplay meets first-person carnage.

TargetSelectionSteamSmall.gif

Demo Features:
  • 2D tetromino-dropping gameplay to build your game board
  • 3D first-person shooting to reshape your board and eliminate threats
  • Items and upgrades to boost your abilities and customize your run
  • Unlockable progression rewards to help you build your strategy between runs
  • 2 boss encounters
  • Tutorial to teach you the ropes

Gameplay:

Blocks for Babies is all about clearing blocks. Stack blocks in 2D to clear complete lines, or attack them in 3D to shoot and shape the game board. Both modes will be crucial for reaching the clear goal and unlocking unique rewards for your run.

SAGE Screenshot 7.png SAGE Screenshot 1.png

Craft your run:

Your choice of boards, rewards, and weapons make each run unique. Upgrades can also be purchased in the shop between runs and will carry over, giving you the tools to get stronger game after game.

SAGE Screenshot 4.png SAGE Screenshot 2.png

Flapper:
Flapper.gif

Just look at him. Help him clean up his blocks, it's the right thing to do.

Controls:

Keyboard:
Move tile: WASD/Arrow Keys (W/Up to hard drop)
Rotate: Mouse LB/Mouse RB
Use activatable: E
Aim: Mouse
Shoot: Click
Jump: Space
Dash: Shift
Interact: E
Change target selection: Mouse wheel

Blocks for Babies offers controller support, but it is undocumented in-game:
(Buttons listed for Xbox 360 controller)

Move tile: Left Stick/DPad
Aim: Right Stick
Rotate: RT/LT
Use activatable: X
Shoot: RT
Jump: A
Dash: X
Interact: Y
Change target selection: RB/LB

Changelog:
  • Added new version (HOTFIX) Blocks for Babies Demo SAGE 2024 v2.zip which fixes a rare crash
Reactions: Kibi_Byte

Latest reviews

I gotta say, Tetris-like gameplay mixing with first person shooter controls is not something I think I'd ever expect, but this game does it perfectly! I love the complete switch in tone when doing the block puzzle part and then transitioning into the shooting part. wonderful game! Can't wait to see where this goes ^^
This is bar none one of the coolest games I've seen at SAGE. In a way, it reminds me a bit of Swap Mode in Puyo Puyo Tetris LOL

The Tetris and FPS gameplay styles work very well together, with the transitions between them being SCARILY seamless for a 3D game made in GameMaker Studio 1.4, and the game in general is super engaging, bordering on addicting.

Added this to my wishlist on Steam, and you should too if you like either of the genres on display here.
Reactions: BunkStunkis
PEAK. Played this game for quite honestly way too long (not long enough), idk how you figured out the gameplay loop but it’s actually kind of flawless
Reactions: BunkStunkis
BunkStunkis
BunkStunkis
No greater honor than getting PEAK from mister FREAKS, my day is made

Comments

Item information

Added by
BunkStunkis
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update