don't click here

Need some help making dialog in sonic worlds delta.

Koopaisatroopa

Green Hill Zone
Apr 7, 2024
So I’m working on a fan game made with sonic worlds and I really want to add dialog to the cutscene the only problem is I don’t know how to add dialog. I would like to have some help

Attachments

Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 5, 2017
Finland
Two veeery simple ways for some dialogue:

-Dialogue within levels: Make a new active object that you'll have Sonic interact with, let's call it CHARACTER. Also make a new string object, make sure it's on the HUD layer and sticks with the screen. Theeen go to events, and make an event that checks when Sonic and CHARACTER overlap, and when they do make the string reappear, and change the text to whatever you want it to display as the dialogue (if the text object isn't already set to what it needs to be, or if there are multiple characters you can interact with). You can ofcourse then make any adjustments to change how and when the string appears.

-Dialogue within cutscenes: Add all your objects (actives, strings, backdrops) into the frame, and also add a button (or an keyboard related event) that moves the game to the next frame, and within this next frame add new objects and text etc and bam, you have a very simple comic-like cutscene done. You can also do it all within a single frame too, by making a counter that ticks forward whenever a button is clicked, and depending on what the counter says you hide or show specific objects, for example when it's 0 you show Sonic standing and a text that says "Wow I'm Sonic!" and when it's 1 you hide the previous objects and show a new object of Sonic running and a text that says "Now I'm running!" etc.

If anything here sounds too difficult, I'd recommend checking out some proper tutorials or something.

Koopaisatroopa

Green Hill Zone
Apr 7, 2024
Thanks for the help, since I’m a noob I need help with a couple things

1. How to make bosses and how do I make a super sonic boss

2. How do I make a huge fire wall chase sonic in a level. Similar to how there’s a wall that chases you at Mad gear Zone act 3 in Sonic 4.

3. How to make a new game and continue option. Like after besting a level the game saves and once you exit start the game there’s a continue option were you can select to play were you left off. And theres an option were you can play the game from the start.

I’m sorry if it’s too much to ask you but I hope you can teach me how to do those things.

Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 5, 2017
Finland
Hmm weeell all of it is a touch difficult to explain on just a forum and I'm not the best teacher, buuut to get you started:

1. I thiiink Sonic Worlds has some default boss you can edit and do stuff from? But even if not - make a sensor, a big tall invisible block where you want the boss to start. Make a value "bossState" or whatever and set it to 1 when sonic hits the sensor (and might as well also destroy the sensor in that same moment), and when it's 1 (or higher?) reposition the camera to be locked within the boss area, and also make invisible walls appear so that Sonic can't leave the boss area. Theeen yeah, make an object that works as a boss, give it like "health" and "hurting" values, use "health" to keep track of HP (either like set it to 8 at first, or count upwards), aand set "hurting" to like 45 or something whenever Sonic has hit the boss and always tick it downwards/towards 0, using that value to see if the boss can take damage (as in, to make it so that the boss can't be spammed to death). And yeah, make a bunch of other values to actually control the boss actions/AI and all that.

2. A couple of different ways, buuut at the most simplest I'd just make a big vertical object that slowly moves to the right, either as Bouncing Ball movement or by just doing [Set X position to - X("fire_wall")+10], replacing 10 with whatever speed works well or with more uh, detailed events that work according to camera's movement speed etc. I'd prolly also leave the first block completely solid colored and rectangular just for checking collision, and then add the fire graphic on top, always setting the position accordingly. Aaand yeah, with the big object, just make it work by either setting the hurt value to 1 (if I remember how Worlds works) like any other damage would, ooor just have it skip right to Sonic dieing like an endless pit would. You're gonna have to dig through the events to find it all tho, but do try to use the pre-existing events instead of trying to add your completely own stuff, it can get very messy.

3. The INI object will be your friend for anything saving related. It saves values and strings, and they are saved as items within groups in a text file, like a group could be named "Settings" and the values/items "Volume" and "Screenmode" etc, you decide all the names yourself when using the INI thing. Whenever you save or load stuff you gotta always specify what group and item you're saving/loading. The file is normally saved within appdata folder (search %appdata% on windows to open it), and inside MMFApplications in there, and the files can be opened with Notepad for when you need to check them out or edit em manually, tho keep in mind that an open file doesn't update/refresh automatically, gotta close and open it again to see if there was any changes. Once you do have stuff saved, have the game read that info at the start of the game (or main menu or whatever), aaand then depending on what the values are show or hide different options within a menu. Like for example make a value "stage3beaten" in a group "gameprogress" that's set/saved as 1 when it is beaten (make that happen once Sonic hits the goal at the end of Stage 3), and then during main menu once the game reads that and sees it as 1 show Stage 3 selectable within the menu, etc. The INI object caaan be a touch tricky to get used to using at first, but yeah it works well.

Or, if you wanna go some super easy and simple route without actual saving, you could just make a simple password system. Like, maybe have up and arrow buttons on the screen that change symbols lined up, ooor make an edit text object where you type something. Aaand once said symbols or text says a certain thing you just jump the player to whatever frame the password is for. Like, maybe Motobug + Ring + Monitor takes you to stage 2, or a text "ROBOTNIK" takes you to last boss etc.

Last edited:

Koopaisatroopa

Green Hill Zone
Apr 7, 2024
Sweet this helps a lot thanks man appreciate the help. But I do need some help again I need to learn how to cause the bosses since it’s confusing so I’m going to tell you about the bosses and you can tell me how to code them. All right let’s begin.

1. Don’t need any help for the first boss it’s the same as the temple but with less help and he’s Silver Sonic from Sonic 2 on the Game Gear.

For the rest I will need help.

2. It‘s Sonic 1’s first boss but Snivly is piloting it and once he has one more hit left the chain ball thingy goes around for a bit similar to Sonic 4.

3. Mecha Sonic MkII is the boss it’s the same as the template boss until you hit him 4 times. After you do that he flies around in the air shoots 1 missile at you then goes down to the floor and does his template attack repeat that until he is defeated.

4. The next boss is the same first boss from sonic 2 sprites and all. But once you hit him 4 times he becomes really fast and zooms really fast and can shoot his drill thing at you.

5. The 5th boss is the same as the 3rd but of course he starts off having the same pattern as the 3rd boss’s second phase the once you hit him 4 times he does the same pattern but has 3 missiles.

6. Sixth boss is just Big Arms sprites and all but he can’t grab you in the first phase and once you hit him 4 times he‘s faster and can grab you and throw you.

7. The 7th boss is the same guy from the 3rd, and 5th bosses. He starts off in a more powerful look so his sprites are like Metalix from Smbz or something. He starts off having the same attack pattern of the 5th boss‘s second phase then once you hit him 4 times like most other bosses he slides to the right I think, charges his attack says a voice line then shoots a blue laser like the final boss from Sonic&Knuckles then does the previous attack pattern only to have the added go to the right, charge, shoot laser.

8. The 8th boss is an auto scroller boss were you have to chase Mecha Sonic MK1 from the genesis Sonic 2 down. He shoots things at you while you try to attack him like missiles. Of course theres rings in the auto scroller boss so it’s just a Sonic Advance 2 boss. When you get him to his sec phase like hit him 4 times blah blah blah he starts sliding back to the left side I think like were you are then goes back to his side he’s also a bit faster. He can also jump to your side blah blah blah.

9. Final boss? It’s just the Death Egg Robot from Sonic 2 everything is the same attack pattern, sprites, movement. He has 16th heath too

10. The True Final Boss. The Boss battle starts off with Sonic as Super Sonic I’m not sure how to make that happen, since he transformed in the cutscene fighting Super Mecha Sonic. It plays like all Super Sonic bosses there’s a number of rings you have the decrease if it’s over you die etc. You are also stuck to flying since there is no ground. It’s an autoscroller too so like all autoscroller Sonic bosses there are Rings that are there when you fight the boss. Now to the boss it self Super Mecha sonic is flying like you he is on the opposite side shooting projectiles that stop you of course you have to defeat him by going right into him. He doesn’t spam attacks so it’s possible. One of him attacks used once his normal attacks are done is to shoot the laser in the 7th boss and that can remove 5 rings from you if he hits you because most of his other attacks just push you away. After that he gets tired so he stops attacking. Once you get him to 8 health by hitting him 8 times because unlike the second to eight boss he doesn’t have 8 heath. He has 16 like the previous boss. Ok so once you get him to having 8 heath left he starts to shoot big orbs that can take 10 rings from you if hit. One on the top so you have to go on the bottom the. he does one on the bottom then he‘s toted so you hit him. After that he repeats his attack pattern from his first phase having the new ability to shoot big orbs. Once you defeat him a cutsence plays of him getting withered and dying Sonic wins blah blah blah.

Ok also how do I make the level end once the boss is defeated. This is a lot but I am passionate about making this game.

Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 5, 2017
Finland
Honestly that's tooooo much for me to help with hah, I don't wanna be the one who makes your game, you gotta learn and practice yourself for the most part. But in general, for the boss movements, make alt values tick for different things with the boss from movement to animation, values such as "bossPhase" telling what move it should be performing, "phaseTimer" that is set to like 120 or something and ticks down each frame which tells and controls how the boss should move (with events being like "at 100 move there", "at 40 stop" etc), and yeah control the boss either by like bouncing ball movement and markers (for aiming/positioning the boss) at the easisest ooor make it a static object and move it through code by having values telling the speed in pixels per frame.

As for once a boss is defeated, just do whatever events initiate the goal. Unless you're using a super old Sonic Worlds engine from like 2008 there should be events and graphics for a goal that you can use.

Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 5, 2017
Finland
The values controlling those should be within either global values, or inside some of the alt values stored in object to the left of the level, if I remember right. But if not, dig through the events and you'll prolly find how to do it.

Koopaisatroopa

Green Hill Zone
Apr 7, 2024
Dude thanks this really helps the only thing I’m confused about are

1. Change the character in the level like in Green hill Zone Act 1 you start as Sonic then in Act 2 your Tails. Like that stuff

And

2. The Bosses yeah I need a proper guide on every single thing sooo yeah. Speaking of the bosses there’s a lot of things I want do as you saw like auto scrollers, multiple phases, and projectiles I don’t know how to customize the attacks so the bosses Arn’t really like I need help with I need a full on guide about each and every thing.

Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 5, 2017
Finland
1. You can probably just add code to change the character value, like a simple Start of frame event or something. Should be easy at the start of the event (edit a bit later: whoops, meant at the start of the frame/stage), in the middle of the stage it might be tricky but should be doable, you gotta browse through the code and see how things work and all that.

2. Aaand here you need to just practice using Fusion and figure out how it all works to do big things such as you're planning. The more you do the more you learn, downscale your current plans or move onto smaller projects you build from the scratch to get better, watch some videos on Youtube and adapt the skills to other things, etc. Again, I'm not interested in making your game for you nor being a full on teacher, I don't mind giving pointers for some general things but getting into like how to make every single boss and so on is a touch too much.

Last edited:

Koopaisatroopa

Green Hill Zone
Apr 7, 2024
With all of that I think I’m good to go, thanks for all the help I can finally create Classic Sonic Forces: Ruby Illusions. Anyways I may go back here if I need a bit of help but other than that it’s time to start. Again thank you so much dud.