don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo Xenogunner Returns: Rule of Chaos (SAGE 2024 Demo)

Overview

A new champion of chaos rises...

A few months have passed since the future year of 2011, and King Zeta is finally recovering from his injuries. Thanks to the work of his sister Delta, he's been able to continue his training as a warrior using simulations in the mean time.

Unfortunately... the one who created The Xenogunner, Null Structure, has found a new champion...
...a new foe to take on the title "Xenogunner".

This sinister new force of chaos has chosen to attack the king's castle, with such poor timing that Zeta is just barely starting to get out of his hospital bed to stand and walk around again for his first time in a while.

screenshot 1.png

Thankfully, he won't be alone in his quest to defend his castle from hostile takeover:

His sister, Delta, has been training in her newfound powers, and she's ready to take on this new threat head on as well! Her agility and heavy-hitting saber attacks can shred through foes quickly, while Zeta's projectiles formed from magic-like Xenonature can be used for a more safe approach.

screenshot 4.png

Will King Zeta and royal scientist Delta be able to save the day...?

The new champion of Null Structure may have a few tricks up his sleeve to make that easier said than done...

screenshot 3.png

Note for gamepad players:
You'll need to use DS4Windows to use a non-Xbox controller. It's recommended to map the buttons roughly where their equivalents would be on an Xbox controller. (E.g. X on a Dualshock should be mapped to A, B on a Switch Pro should be mapped to A, etc.)

Credits

Testing and feedback: SandwichColonel, arsenicClawcat, nestunes, summerstar, thejonymyster, Sea Bass, babypinksnail.
Sprites, backgrounds, original Xenogunner logo: Pedro Marques.
Programming, design, and project lead: happygreenfairy.

SAGE 2024 Music from original Xenogunner OST, composed by SandwichColonel
Full Xenogunner OST can be found here:

Comments

Had a weird issue with the airdashing, couldn't airdash at all on controller, it just sent me straight down. Worked fine on keyboard.

Sword just felt immediately more powerful, didn't bother to use guns for the final boss. Gun cursor scrolled off-screen and wrapped back around which was frustrating.

Cool game tho, I enjoyed the first one

Had a weird issue with the airdashing, couldn't airdash at all on controller, it just sent me straight down. Worked fine on keyboard.

Sword just felt immediately more powerful, didn't bother to use guns for the final boss. Gun cursor scrolled off-screen and wrapped back around which was frustrating.

Cool game tho, I enjoyed the first one
Oh, huh! If you don't mind me asking... what gamepad were you using? And which character? If you were playing as Delta at the time (the one with the sword), you have to actually be holding forward to move forward with her in the air. Her dash works completely differently.

I seem to need to make a better indicator that you're playing as a different character entirely during that part, potentially...?

What do you say, think a sign that says something like "Delta's dash works differently in the air than Zeta's, and isn't immune to projectiles!" might help?

As for the gun cursor on gamepad, it takes getting used to, but wrapping around lets you switch between aiming left and right a lot faster than if I didn't allow that, so... it's kinda necessary. Your complaint in mind though, it'll proooobably be a setting in the finished game though, just with a disclaimer that certain sections of the game are a lot harder with it disabled.

Thanks for the feedback at any rate! I might be able to fix some or all of this before SAGE is over, especially if you don't mind answering any questions I might have to make sure I'm fixing them the right way!

Oh, huh! If you don't mind me asking... what gamepad were you using? And which character? If you were playing as Delta at the time (the one with the sword), you have to actually be holding forward to move forward with her in the air. Her dash works completely differently.

I seem to need to make a better indicator that you're playing as a different character entirely during that part, potentially...?

What do you say, think a sign that says something like "Delta's dash works differently in the air than Zeta's, and isn't immune to projectiles!" might help?

As for the gun cursor on gamepad, it takes getting used to, but wrapping around lets you switch between aiming left and right a lot faster than if I didn't allow that, so... it's kinda necessary. Your complaint in mind though, it'll proooobably be a setting in the finished game though, just with a disclaimer that certain sections of the game are a lot harder with it disabled.

Thanks for the feedback at any rate! I might be able to fix some or all of this before SAGE is over, especially if you don't mind answering any questions I might have to make sure I'm fixing them the right way!
An xinput (360 controller) Retrofighters Defender. Should just register as a 360 controller. Tested it again and it didn't happen, strange. Dashes were intuitive to me, I didn't need to know but maybe that could helpful.

For the game would it be necessary to attack at specific points rather than a direction? I didn't get why it worked like that for the boomering but not for any other weapon. If it is, should it be the priority? The majority of the demo was direction based, I feel like an option to just hold RT or so to go into "manual aim" would work and then by default you can move and aim and shoot just with a stick. Or a toggle button with R3 or something. That's just my thoughts. The game feels very M&KB focused otherwise, which is fair enough. I just remember mostly playing Xenogunners 1 with the autohoning weapon because I didn't want to aim as much on controller.

I feel like just a tweak in what we already have could make gamepad feel more friendly.

An xinput (360 controller) Retrofighters Defender. Should just register as a 360 controller. Tested it again and it didn't happen, strange. Dashes were intuitive to me, I didn't need to know but maybe that could helpful.

For the game would it be necessary to attack at specific points rather than a direction? I didn't get why it worked like that for the boomering but not for any other weapon. If it is, should it be the priority? The majority of the demo was direction based, I feel like an option to just hold RT or so to go into "manual aim" would work and then by default you can move and aim and shoot just with a stick. Or a toggle button with R3 or something. That's just my thoughts. The game feels very M&KB focused otherwise, which is fair enough. I just remember mostly playing Xenogunners 1 with the autohoning weapon because I didn't want to aim as much on controller.

I feel like just a tweak in what we already have could make gamepad feel more friendly.
Oh! Part of what's actually needed then is probably better tutorialization. If you hold down fire, moving the left stick changes your aim. Right stick lets you always aim. It's a bit experimental, but I wanted to give the player the full range of what a mouse offers this time in some way.

That being said, I can potentially make it so clicking in a given stick as a button toggles that stick between directional aiming and cursor aiming, and have left stick default to directional while right stick defaults to cursor... or maybe vice-versa.

EDIT: To clarify, both left and right stick currently adjust the cursor instead of the angle. The triggers can rotate the angle, but that might not be as fast as you want.

Last edited:
Oh! Part of what's actually needed then is probably better tutorialization. If you hold down fire, moving the left stick changes your aim. Right stick lets you always aim. It's a bit experimental, but I wanted to give the player the full range of what a mouse offers this time in some way.

That being said, I can potentially make it so clicking in a given stick as a button toggles that stick between directional aiming and cursor aiming, and have left stick default to directional while right stick defaults to cursor... or maybe vice-versa.

EDIT: To clarify, both left and right stick currently adjust the cursor instead of the angle. The triggers can rotate the angle, but that might not be as fast as you want.
Yeah in the action, especially when switching to sword and then back to bullets, I kind of just want an option to control somewhere between Contra and Mega Man.

Nothing wrong with something experimental, but the option would be nice. I enjoyed using Dpad the most cuz of the fixed aim but even then yeah the rotation didn't super work out for me.

Item information

Added by
happygreenfairy
Views
Comments
Last update

More in Original Games

More from happygreenfairy

Share this item