don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo Stardust The unicorn

Overview

A small platformer inspired by old-school speed games.

Help Stardust rescue his friends from the Kelpie Kingdom using his speed, horn, and magic dusts that grant him different abilities.

Screenshoi2.png

Jump around, run, and use your abilities to advance through the levels. Watch out for obstacles and use different dusts to help you progress.

Screenshoi1.png

Different dusts grant you different powers, which you can use to your advantage. Try them all and use your favorite one.

Controls(Keyboard):
Walk - Directional Keys
Run - Shift (Hold)
Jump - (Space)
Ground Pound - Press Down(While Jumping)
Burst Jump - Press Jump in the air(While Having Fire Dust)

Controls(Controller):
Walk - Dpad
Run - RB(Hold)
Jump - (A)
Ground Pound - Press Down(While Jumping)
Burst Jump - Jump in the air(While Having Fire Dust)

Credits

Thanks to:
- Glitchy for Sprite improvements on the Main Character
- DarkMindAlchemist for enemy sprites
- js_smol for The Tilesets
-Willrojo for the Cover Image

Comments

Shows an absolute ton of promise even at this early state. Huge fan of the art style and the set of mechanics going on here.

My only real caveats are:

The camera hanging back as you speed up is cool, but I did catch myself going off the side of the screen as a result

The stage design feels vaguely ill suited to the set of mechanics the player character has at their disposal

Really excited to see where this goes!

Shows an absolute ton of promise even at this early state. Huge fan of the art style and the set of mechanics going on here.

My only real caveats are:

The camera hanging back as you speed up is cool, but I did catch myself going off the side of the screen as a result

The stage design feels vaguely ill suited to the set of mechanics the player character has at their disposal

Really excited to see where this goes!
Thank you so much for playing our Game,Your kind words mean a lot to us!

Your feedback on the camera and level design is super valuable. I want you to know that I’m taking it to heart and already looking into ways to refine the camera so it feels smoother and don't gives you that problem, and I’ll be putting extra focus on the level design to better match Stardust’s abilities.

I’m excited to show how the game evolves with these improvements. Thanks again for helping me make the game better!

This game looks promising! I can't say much about this game, since it is in early development, but I would like to give some feedback.

-The air draw while jumping is VERY heavy, making it very hard to do a long-needed jump. If it was made intentionally, maybe nerf it so the player could control the character better;
-I have encountered a bug while running on the right side. The player can't do a jump while running to the right side, but on the left side, the character can jump with running action; (Might be my keyboard issue)
-While walking and the player does a jump action, the camera goes to shifting mode. It's a bit uncomfortable. That might be caused character's walk speed value when the speed is higher than the default walk speed.
-The level needs to have checkpoints.

But as a whole, I enjoyed this game!

Last edited:
Gave the game a shot and I actually really like the concept! Having Stardust do damage with his horn at full running speed is neat and I loved the Fire Dust giving you a double jump. I could easily see the concept going further with a full game having different types of magic dust that tweak your gameplay in slightly different ways (not sure if that's what you guys were going for but that was kind of the impression I got)

I think someone already mentioned this, but I think the camera pans a little too far as Stardust increases in speed. Sometimes when trying to perform running jumps the camera would shift so far away that Stardust was no longer in frame and I had difficulty knowing where they were so they could land properly. Other than that though I had a fun time!

Gave the game a shot and I actually really like the concept! Having Stardust do damage with his horn at full running speed is neat and I loved the Fire Dust giving you a double jump. I could easily see the concept going further with a full game having different types of magic dust that tweak your gameplay in slightly different ways (not sure if that's what you guys were going for but that was kind of the impression I got)

I think someone already mentioned this, but I think the camera pans a little too far as Stardust increases in speed. Sometimes when trying to perform running jumps the camera would shift so far away that Stardust was no longer in frame and I had difficulty knowing where they were so they could land properly. Other than that though I had a fun time!
Thank you so much for giving the game a shot, and I’m really glad you liked it! oh yeah it’s great to know those mechanics clicked with you. You’re absolutely spot-on with your guess; we’re definitely thinking of expanding the magic dust system with more variations that tweak gameplay in fun ways, so it’s awesome that came across just fine!

About the Camera, We're working to fix it and give you a better camera movement,we hope to see you in the future so we can show you what we have prepared! thanks a lot!!

Item information

Added by
GlyphGunGames
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item