don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo Sonic Rush 3D (Sage 2024 Demo)

Overview

Welcome to Sonic Rush 3D!
The unofficial 3D fan re-imagining of Sonic Rush!

1723651262905.png

Demo Contents:
- One FULL Act of Leaf Storm! (About half is playable for you, SAGE crew.)
- Playable Sonic the Hedgehog
- Water Palace is unfortunately unplayable due to the massive changes made to the framework.

Schermafbeelding 2024-08-14 182953.png

Schermafbeelding 2024-08-14 183451.png

Gameplay:
(Xbox, PS, Switch Pro Controller and Keyboard are all supported forms of input)
Left Stick - Move
Right Stick - Camera Control
A - Jump/Airdash/Homing Attack
X - Boost/Airboost
B - Crouch/Slide
Y - Trick/Grind Trick/Lightspeed Dash
RB/LB - Trick Finish/Switch Rails/Quickstep
LT - Drift/Double Jump (While Tricking)
RT - Drift/Humming Top (While Tricking)

1723653958195.png

Play in DS Mode!

Schermafbeelding 2024-08-14 184057.png

Credits

CO-DIRECTED BY:
LukeStation (Lead Level Design)
Schollidazed (Lead 3D Artist)
Temzy (Lead UI and Audio)

PROGRAMMERS:
Beatz,
Sonicjason255

3D ARTISTS:
Bluwolfblitz,
JohnIsDaBoi27,
Tempo

WRITING:
SparkStarVT,
TheBombers,
XPool

SPECIAL THANKS:
Diddy Konk,
Pixie-Pie,
glitchysavvy

Latest reviews

Honestly, what can I say that hasn't been said before. Great game, that perfectly replicates the original Rush's incredibly fast gameplay, with a few additions from the 3D Boost games that fit like a ring with it. The level design is mostly incredible, and the alternate pathways all feel neat. But I'm sure you've read all these and more, rightfully earned, praises in practically every other comment, so I'd like to list my gripes with it instead.

Bugs:
  • Pressing A too fast on the options menu causes you not to be able to see the sub-menu. Easily fixable by just pressing B, though.
  • Holding a direction at the start of the level causes Sonic not to move. Let go and he's freed, but still messes with some level restarts.
  • There's certain parts where doing a Forward Trick a bit late will make Sonic aim it to the side, sometimes ruining your shortcut, or killing you.
  • Homing Attacking Something while Air Boosting may get you stuck as Ball Form, without being able to jump.
  • Some 2D Springs don't have Homing Markers, nor can they be Homing Attacked.
  • The Trick Spring after the 2D Waterfall section doesn't allow you to do a Forward or Upward Trick if you start tricking.
  • On the 3D platforming section above the waterfall, after bouncing from the spring before the vine, if you Light Speed Dash the 3 rings near it, you'll be stuck forever.
  • Some checkpoints spawn you looking at the wrong side.
  • The first Egg Ball doesn't actually hurt you.
Gripes:
  • No stage intro, but an automated 2-sec look at a bush while Sonic moves to the first trick section, which you wouldn't notice at first since it lasts a sec and the camera doesn't let you look at the trick shines. I'm sure the stage intro will be present in future versions, but I think the camera being changed into a regular behind-the-back one until the part where it shows Sonic's different sides would be wonderful.
  • Rail tricks don't give points, nor do they have a finisher, unlike 2D Rush.
  • You get way too many rings despite them not really having any use, since you lose all of them on hit, and they don't affect your speed.
  • All 3D sections in the latter half have bottomless pits, so making a mistake in the air is a guaranteed death.
  • It's way too hard to grab that one Rainbow Ring near the flapper, specially when not doing it after a respawn, since the camera's further away, and the Ring is on an 45° angle after Homing Attacking the Flapper.
  • I don't think the slide works really well. Maybe it could be like B makes you curl and pressing it again can uncurl you. That'd even make more sense with the original Rush, since Colors DS is the only one with the slide.
  • There's no score decrease when tricking in the same spring.
Suggestions:
  • Rather than the amount of tricks, maybe the Trick counter could show how many points it'll be adding, like in the original.
  • Reduce the amount of rings, and make them increase your speed, kinda like in Advance 2. That'd give more use to them.
  • Replace the Tension box on the quick-step section with a Speed or Ring one. I don't think it makes much sense to give away Tension right before a cutscene and a long trick section.
  • Maybe the part with the first Egg Ball could lead to another mini-cutscene with the vine launcher.
  • I think it should be more difficult to get S Rank. I had to purposefully avoid tricking just to get an A rank.
  • Maybe you could add the Bounce when holding Stomp, or when using it during a Trick, like in the Advance games. Could help make platforming faster.
  • Some of the 2D springs could work as bounce poles.
  • Add an Egg Rank animation for the results screen to go along with the funny fail music.
  • Maybe add Red Star Rings to make other routes more valuable.
  • I think it'd be for the best if the Homing Markers were bigger.
And that's about it. Don't take it the wrong way, I think this game is awesome, but could use some ironing to truly make it a 5/5. Looking forward to the next version!
wow. the first demo of this game was pretty good, but this is stellar. everything here works so well, it's a near perfect translation of the rush philosophy into 3D.

--- Controls ---
where do i even begin? the boost works wonderfully, no bones about it. every base level move like the homing attack and drifting work very well, the drifting could use a bit of tightening up, but it still felt good.

bringing the trick system from the advance games into this game was a genius decision, it makes the game flow way better and gives way to a ton of alternate routes that are nothing short of fun to explore.

--- Graphics ---
i am a sucker for the DS-PS2 low poly environments, and this game nails the style of rush's bitcrushed visuals with low-poly assets. it feels like it was ripped straight from a DS game and given that extra dimension.

the mid-level cutscenes and spectacle are incredible touches, it gives the stage way more personality and makes it far more memorable in my opinion. sonic's model is also very good i love that little guy so much

--- Difficulty ---
as expected, the first stage in the game wasn't all that difficult. perfect difficulty for a tutorial level though. and the best part, no hallmarks of a dimps-constructed game like bottomless pits that you would never see coming or an obscene amount of instant-death crushers. the stage is given difficulty by your skill level alone, and i love it.

however, i feel like the S rank maybe be a bit too easy. i got it on my second run, straight after an Egg Rank. (no clue if that's actually what it's called.

--- Conclusion ---
overall, amazing demo. it managed to give me back the wonder that the original rush gave me back when i was a kid, amazing work from everyone. i'm super excited to see where this project goes.
I absolutely need this game to happen, that’s how amazing the first level is, there’s only 1 level and I’ve been playing non stop, steam says I’ve logged over 10 hours on this game, if really feels amazing, the level design, the speed, the tricking system, and different options. The only I wish is that I had more of it, if there is anything I can do to help get this game produced faster I will, that’s how much I want this to happen 😂
R
Riptide040
Also I know it’s extremely difficult to make these games, it looks simple but it’s a lot of work, so I don’t want you or your team if you have one to feel rushed, ontop of all the work you have to put into this game, you also have a life outside of it and there’s been too many people who have gotten overwhelmed with their projects and just had to stop, I would hate to see that happen to you, keep up the amazing work, we’re all loving it

Comments

im glad i waited, this shits fucking amazing but how do i play this with joycons
im using betterjoyforcemu and rush 3d isnt picking up any inputs
neeevermind i remembered i could use steam to remap, fucking loved the demo 😭😭

Last edited:
Initial thoughts: really good gameplay and fun level design
but it's buggy as hell and keeps resetting my graphics settings every time I go to the main menu and the last section is so laggy that I died 4 times

Game crashes immediately after the intro where Sonic and Blaze's 3D models show up. I literally can't play this and have no idea how to fix it

Actually, slight bug... The 3, 2, 1, GO thing doesn't show for me. Also, it might be a good idea to make your Discord public...

some areas are so laggy it's genuinely unplayable no matter what i do and it's not even like i have a bad pc :(

on the bright side controls and visuals are immaculate it's genuinely such a shame i cant play it

I'm gonna start off saying DS mode seems to reset for me? Ok, now that I have that said, holy cow! Leaf Storm pops out much more than the Apotos/Water Palace mix the previous demo had. Additionally, you can now trick on rails! yes! That was missing from the previous demo that makes this feel more like Rush.

The level design is also some pretty good stuff too. Although I will say the parts where you have to slide seem to always kill my flow as I try and tend to hit the wall. Why are those there? Sense of speed though? Yeah! This has that in spades. And with a nearly 4 minute long stage, you have a lot to find here for getting the fastest time.

I am a Linux user trying to play this fan game, and I know fully well that this game is catered to Windows computers, but I did manage to play the 2021 demo just fine using Wine. This isn't a pointing fingers at anyone comment, I absolutely loved the game getting to play the 2021 demo, and I would be excited to play the 2024 demo if I can somehow get it working. But I am posting this comment anyways to bring the issue forward, no need to rush of course hehe, but I hope to see Sonic Rush 3D working for Linux, either natively or through Wine/Proton!

This game seems to have issues picking up my Xbox and Switch controllers. Both controllers work with other games, but this one doesn't recognize them. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong on my end or what. I got v1.35, so it should be the latest version.

As others said, graphics are top notch! I also like the level design of it, I don't remember Rush very well but this stage here feels like a 3D Boost Sonic level, with its branching pathways, its automatic sections, its boost parts. Very well done!
The game tends to lag as well on my end, but my computer isn't exactly a high performance one, so I lowered the resolution and it was playable if a bit laggy at times.

I would recommend making the checkpoints all over the width of the stage, as Sega does in modern Sonic games, because with that speed it's quite hard to aim for one!
But overall, a great great entry, congrats! Keep up the good work and I hope you'll manage to get to the end of this project!

pretty good demo with a lots of potential
tho a small problem i encountered with this is that while trying to remap the controls to the frontiers layout makes the drift always active even if the drift has already been mapped to another button
Hopefully this can be fixed soon

EDIT: also there seems to be no way to map lightspeed dash to the analog buttons so i hope that could be an option in the future

Last edited:
A really buggy demo that's unenjoyable, constant falling off automated sections that has built trust issues in enjoying the game at all.
Ive managed to clip into walls several times
Admittedly poor level design makes it so sometimes you just run out of boost even when you're trying your hardest to maintain it.
Lots of automated sections. It just feels amatuer at best and frankly not enjoyable, if i want 3d boost i guess i have to wait for this to cook for a long time.

I really enjoyed it! Level felt well designed and it felt like a good old sonic 3D sonic thing. While they were in no way game breaking, I feel I should note the few 'bugs' I found:

-The cutscene ball can not be spawned if boosting right after the slide tutorial. Stops all balls from spawning until the loop.
-Doing a misinput that locks you out of the tutorial input will not stop the slow-mo.
>Ranging from a couple seconds when doing a homing dash in the humming kick tutorial to not stopping the slow-mo when doing a humming kick in the trick finish tutorial.
-I Wall jumped into the sprint in the wall jump tutorial and jumped horizontally and got stuck inside the opposite wall. Had to restart.
-I got the camera stuck after the shortcut after the trick jump tutorial. Fixed itself after I used one of the elevator things.
-At one point I messed up the shortcut before the inside of the tree, landed on some amount of solid geometry but the camera was stuck inside the tree.
-In the big planked running part I boosted into a wall (maybe a corner) and got some crazy height.

Item information

Added by
SonicRush3D
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.07 star(s) 29 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

More from SonicRush3D