don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo PJ the DJ: SAGE 2024 Demo

Overview

This is a demo for a Parappa the Rapper fan game starring the character PJ Berri. This build only has 2 proper stages and 1 tutorial stage so it's a bit on the shorter side. There's still a lot of things that need to be refined (mainly the charting). The game has gamepad support, it natively only supports Playstation controllers but you can use software like DS4 to use an Xbox or Nintendo controller. In the options menu you can change the button icons to match what you're using(by default it's Playstaion). A wired controller connection is recomended over wireless, and one stage contains copyrighted music so if you're streaming the game or making a video on it you should keep that in mind.

Some songs contain explicit lyrics, I know it's very unfitting for a game like this but it's hard finding clean hiphop music that I really mess with.

I'm planning on switching engines as I find gdevelop a bit limiting so the next version of this game will likely be made in game maker, this means that it'll go from 3D to 2D.

Mac and Linux download

Synopsis (2).png

One day PJ was DJ'ing as per usual but he got distracted by a doughnut laying right beside him. Instead of being responsible and ignoring it he instead reached for the doughnut, tripped on something, and some how managed to miraculously burn down the entire nightclub he works at. Because of this incident his DJ'ing license was revoked and he's now jobless. For the first time in this teddy bear's life he has actual drive and motivation so he sets out to prove to the world how good of a DJ he is in hopes of getting his job back.

Screenshots (2).png

Screenshot 2024-08-04 103716.png

Screenshot_20240804_085909_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20240804_085854_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20240804_085952_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot 2024-08-04 002548.png

Screenshot 2024-08-24 143358.png

Screenshot 2024-08-24 143433.png

Screenshot 2024-08-24 143119.png

Characters.png

Pj.png

The best friend of Parappa the Rapper, he's a teddy bear who always has a bored or tired look on his face, he's very hungry and lazy, and he works as a DJ at clubfun, well he used to anyway.

Parappa.png

Parappa is a paper thin rapping dog who's fairly well known and admired. He's often referred to as "The Hip Hop Hero" and his catchphrase is "I gotta believe". Parappa is often involved in dangerous situations so his positive mindset is a necessity.

Katy.png

Katy's a blue cat who's a very proficient bassist and vocalist her and some of her other friends are in a band called "MilkCan".

Lammy.png

Lammy is the guitarist of MilkCan, as her name implies she's a lamb although she doesn't really resemble one. She's usually very timid and shy but whenever she's on stage she overcomes her fears.

Ma-san.png

Ma-San is a small mouse with a stick of dynamite on her head, she's the drummer and possible manager of MilkCan. She's incredibly strong but has a slight temper.

Credits

Powered by Gdevelop

Parappa the rapper isn't owned by me

Models from Parappa 1, 2 and UJL

Parappa and Lammy's models were rigged by SAB64 on deviantart

Katy and Ma-San's models were rigged by kean.csakjatek2 on sketchfab

Keyboard icons from PaRappa the Rapper Stage 1 on scratch

by Shmish21

Music:

PGen (PS2 MegaDrive Emulator)

The Parappa and PJ album I Scream!

Parappa the Rapper 2

Parappa the Rapper Anime

Closer (Sam Sneed Version) by Capone-N-Noreaga

Extensions used:

3D (WithThreeJS)

Gamepad

Rhythm Tools

Double Click

FPS

3rd Person Camera

Linear Movement

Software used:

Blender

Upscayl

Ibis Paint X

Gdevelop

Latest reviews

I like the idea, Parappa's singin/voice actor was suuuper good too, but the gameplay itself is a struggle. I'd imagine it can be fixed, but it needs alot of work as it espeeecially requires a lot of resyncing and gettings things properly lined up the beat and tempo of the music. I tried to ofcourse press the buttons to the beat, since that's how rhythm games (even Parappa and Um Jammer Lammy) work, but with how the game is built it was actually easier to mute the music and just press the buttons as they show up, but that's ofcourse not how a game like this should work. The DJ disc scratching sounds also need a bunch more variety and pitch changes so that it would match the song/singing better, right now it's just like random sound effects over the song.

The input HUD at the top of the screen could also be like atleast 200% bigger, there's no point for the main input segment of a rhythm game to be so small, it gives unneeded difficulty and lack of accuracy to the game. Difficulty was weird in general, there's a few too many random buttons to press, to the point it almost feels like the game insists every line of inputs has to use every button on the controller, and it gets messy and lacks style pretty fast.

Overall needs a bunch of work, polishing/redoing alot of the graphics and animations, and yeah fixing all the audio-related problems. Also could really use a skip buttons for the cutscenes, when wanting to just get into the game to try and see what it's like it's annoying to have to just waaait. Skip for the tutorial would be welcome too.
Reactions: J Lawal
J Lawal
J Lawal
Thanks for your feedback, I only put this together in about a month so the game itself is still extremely primitive. A few quality of life issues and the HUD could be fixed easily but I don't know about the charting. I had to do all of it manually which is why it's the way it is. If I was able to create an chart editor it would probably turn out better. I'm very new to game development and this is the first project I made completely from scratch without using anything as a base so there wasn't really a basic outline on how to recereate parappa's mechanics so everything here is an approximation of the gameplay from the actual series. I think if I want to fix all of these issues I might have to switch to something like gamemaker or unity as it allows for more freedom.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Item information

Added by
J Lawal
Views
Reviews
Last update
Rating
2.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games