don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Framework Orbinaut Framework 2

Overview

Orbinaut Framework 2 is the successor to the original Orbinaut Framework, a classic Sonic framework created for GameMaker. It prioritises ease-of-use and has a certain level of templating at its core (as it basically should), making it friendly for both beginners and advanced users.​
Orbinaut is written from scratch and everything here is new.​

Basic Features
  • Uniqueness: The framework contains its own solutions that replace some features of GameMaker, simplifying the development process, particularly for Sonic games.​
  • Performance: While being slower than its predecessor due to a higher amount of things working behind the scenes, if used intelligently, the framework can reach high enough speeds thanks to its architecture and optimisation (within the GameMaker limitations).​
Although the framework is designed to match the look and feel of the original four classic Sonic titles, it can be adapted to create non-Sonic gameplay due to its design.​

Sonic Features
  • All gameplay objects in the framework provided by default are aimed to be accurate to their Sonic 2 presentation, code and animation-wise.​
  • Character physics, character-to-object and object-to-terrain collisions are faithfully recreated to provide similar or the same result as in the original games, making it one of the most accurate classic Sonic frameworks ever made, if this is what you're looking for.​
  • Four playable characters are available: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy.​
  • Support for multiple player objects, which can be set up to be controlled by either a computer or a real person.​
  • Up to 8 player splitscreen support.*​
  • The ability to customise gameplay by toggling various differences between the four classic titles, ensuring you get the experience you want to have in your game.​
  • The framework offers various graphical effects you can see in the classic games, including its own background parallax, palette rotation, palette-based fade in/out and screen distortions**.​
  • Overall, most methods are accurate or similar to the ones used in the original Sonic engine.​
* Default splitscreen support is basic, providing separate screens for CPUs that can be taken under control like in Sonic 2 or Sonic 3(K). There is no "complete splitscreen experience", as you may call it that.
** The distortion effect does not work correctly right now (and therefore is disabled) due to the latest GameMaker update. The problem is not on our side and we're waiting for the fix.

Download

You can download the project file as well as the playable build on our GitHub here!

Links

Twitter
GitHub Repository
Documentation

Media

WATCH THE TRAILER!

Credits

Project Lead
Triangly

Programming
Triangly
Michael Gallinago
techncolour

Branding Artwork & Additional Sprites
Natufox

Tech Stadium Zone
Enrico Cartmanuel

TSZ Background Music
Leilani "Woofle" Wilson - Sonic 3 Alternate - Hydrocity Zone Act 2

Level Design
N8rtot

Framework Trailer
Triangly
Lapper

Discord Rich Presence Plugin
nkrapivin

Special Thanks
Lapper
Mercury
NicoCW
Valeev
Noah N. Copeland
The Sonic 1, 2 and 3 Dissasembly Community
@RunningPigeon
Our Twitter followers
...and everyone, who provided an objective feedback on OF1 <3​

Comments

You guys do not know how long I've been waiting for this. I love this thing so much that I want to make my own Sonic fangame right away.

So I did read the description and I even looked through the files on how this works but I don't seem to know how to get the "room select" option to work when booting up the application. Is the feature not currently available or am I missing something?

So I did read the description and I even looked through the files on how this works but I don't seem to know how to get the "room select" option to work when booting up the application. Is the feature not currently available or am I missing something?
The Room Select option is only available with developer mode, which is disabled in the playable build. Added a note about it to the release.

Holy moly. Bravo to all involved, because this is incredible!
As soon as LTS releases, I'm switching from Orbinaut 1 to this one. Excellent work!

Item information

Added by
Triangly
Views
Comments
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More in 2D Frameworks

More from Triangly

Share this item