don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo Monochrome Heights

Overview

Wishlist on Steam!

A world devastated by past wars is threatened once again. When a former comrade asks for help, Happy the Robot reluctantly agrees to face Layla — once a friend, now a dangerous enemy they thought they had destroyed. The mission: ascend Layla’s tower and destroy the last copy of her consciousness before she can be downloaded into a new body and enact her devious plan.

Monochrome Heights is a tough-as-nails 2D platformer featuring classic run, jump, and slide mechanics — but most importantly, a distinctive color-swapping mechanic that involves phasing between black and white platforms to climb the tower. With crisp pixel art and a modern retro-style experience, the game is inspired by early Super Mario Bros. and Mega Man titles.

BotPortraits_BlackBGwithBorder.png

Features:
  • Traditional tough-as-nails platforming meets a novel phase mechanic where players must swap between black and white to avoid hazards and land on platforms.
  • Tight, simple controls that allow players to blaze forward with speed and momentum, or take it slow and patiently progress.
  • A narrative-focused, single-player story mode chock full of brain-breaking platforming.
  • Hand-drawn character portraits during dialogue that compliment the crisp pixel art.
  • An original music score by Bent Neatly that both drives players forward during intense gameplay and provides a relaxing backdrop for story moments.
  • Robots. Lots of robots.
Phase_Jump.gif

Comments

Really neat execution of a really interesting concept. I am really excited to see how this gets expanded upon in future builds. I had a really fun time.

If you'll allow me a couple of points of feedback:

The game currently grabs your mouse on startup and it made it super hard to actually tab over to the game

movement DOES feel like its a little bit slidey given the precision the game asks of you.

Hope to see more of this game down the line!

Really neat execution of a really interesting concept. I am really excited to see how this gets expanded upon in future builds. I had a really fun time.

If you'll allow me a couple of points of feedback:

The game currently grabs your mouse on startup and it made it super hard to actually tab over to the game

movement DOES feel like its a little bit slidey given the precision the game asks of you.

Hope to see more of this game down the line!
Thank you so much for taking the time to play it and comment! I really appreciate it and your feedback!

I suspect that most games with this premise, e.g. Mighty Switch Force, change the visuals of the walls, not of the player character. I also suspect this is because in general, the player is not looking at the player character, because there's so much else on the screen to pay attention to instead. It took me a good while to notice the palette was even changing.

That said, thanks for having good key assignment support.

I suspect that most games with this premise, e.g. Mighty Switch Force, change the visuals of the walls, not of the player character. I also suspect this is because in general, the player is not looking at the player character, because there's so much else on the screen to pay attention to instead. It took me a good while to notice the palette was even changing.

That said, thanks for having good key assignment support.
Really appreciate you trying it and commenting! Thank you.

Item information

Added by
Pdyx
Views
Comments
Last update

Downloads

More in Original Games

Share this item