don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo Knuckles Quest

Overview

What is Knuckles Quest?

Knuckles Quest is a continuation of the treasure hunting gameplay style that was present in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, now with a custom framework and levels. Using a radar, search the area for all the emerald pieces, but be careful: the locations are randomly selected!

In this demo, you can play as either the Master Emerald guardian Knuckles the Echidna or the expert jewel thief Rouge the Bat as they glide and climb their way through the creepy Molder Forest searching for three pieces of the Master Emerald.

This project is very much a work-in-progress, so feedback is appreciated!

Future updates and information will be available on this game's itch.io page and YouTube channel.

Screenshots
titlescreenshot.png
screenshot37.png
screenshot12.png
screenshot20.png
screenshot6.png
screenshot21.png
screenshot7.png
screenshot32.png
screenshot13.png
screenshot29.png

Latest reviews

A fun Knuckles game (and Rouge) that harkens back to the nostalgic times of Sonic Adventure. I was keen on stepping into this project doing some good old collecting, has the potential to be a rich and fun experience, the only thing I need is more! Amazing Work!!
Reactions: Iggyminious

Comments

Really fun! The sound effects were a tad too loud but that was easily fixable so its whatever. I liked how the Emeralds were in capsules when they were in the Eggman bases, that's a good detail. The egg pawns popping out from under the gravestones was a fun surprise and the expanding platforms were interesting as well. I do wish there was an option to invert the camera controls, but I got used to it pretty quickly. over all really fun! I look forward to future updates!

Really fun! The sound effects were a tad too loud but that was easily fixable so its whatever. I liked how the Emeralds were in capsules when they were in the Eggman bases, that's a good detail. The egg pawns popping out from under the gravestones was a fun surprise and the expanding platforms were interesting as well. I do wish there was an option to invert the camera controls, but I got used to it pretty quickly. over all really fun! I look forward to future updates!
There actually are options to invert the camera in the pause menu, though you might need to toggle them off and on once at first for them to work properly. Glad you liked it!

Last edited:
I wish I could try this game, because I actually enjoy the Knuckles/Rouge stages in SA2 (apart from the two in space, but that's another story). However it stops responding a few seconds after getting to the title screen on my end, I don't know if there's a way to get log files for you to check...
My computer is pretty old (my graphic cards was a good one... for 2009!) and tends to have issues with Unity games, so that's probably more my fault for trying to play games using a 10 to 15 year old desktop! Your game seems fun, good luck for the rest of the development! :)

I wish I could try this game, because I actually enjoy the Knuckles/Rouge stages in SA2 (apart from the two in space, but that's another story). However it stops responding a few seconds after getting to the title screen on my end, I don't know if there's a way to get log files for you to check...
My computer is pretty old (my graphic cards was a good one... for 2009!) and tends to have issues with Unity games, so that's probably more my fault for trying to play games using a 10 to 15 year old desktop! Your game seems fun, good luck for the rest of the development! :)
Thanks for trying at least! Honestly, when making this game I did want it to be something that could reasonably be played on lower-end machines, but I'm not sure what more I can do within the constraints of Unity.

Very glad you made this. I've always felt that this gameplay style was underrated, and it was cool seeing a fan game that featured rouge as a playable character for once. I loved all the little mechanics like the bases that needed keys, the expanding platforms and the bouncy trees. I feel as though you have a pretty solid understanding of what makes these levels fun but I do have a couple of gripes with and just some stuff I would like to see added.

Okay now this first one may be just a me problem since I played on mouse and keyboard but: The camera was terrible, no matter how much I played with the camera settings the x and y axis always felt either too sensitive or sluggish and the auto camera actively worked against me in some cases (during the part with the expanding platforms I always had trouble landing on the one with the spikes and the one right after because of how awkward the camera was). The radar is pretty bland but I can image that can be fixed easily. The level's format was a little bland since there was no major traversal gimmick like the winds in wild canyon or the turtles in dry lagoon.

Now for the stuff that I personally would think of as being neat. Extra collectables: Sa1 and two both had animals for the chao garden as an extra collectable to encourage more exploration and I think some replacement for that would be good. Giving knuckles and rouge abilities that are unique to each other and service treasure hunting as a gameplay style. The hint system would also be nice I always found it to be an amazing part of the SA2 levels.

Thank you for reading this I really liked the game :)

Very glad you made this. I've always felt that this gameplay style was underrated, and it was cool seeing a fan game that featured rouge as a playable character for once. I loved all the little mechanics like the bases that needed keys, the expanding platforms and the bouncy trees. I feel as though you have a pretty solid understanding of what makes these levels fun but I do have a couple of gripes with and just some stuff I would like to see added.

Okay now this first one may be just a me problem since I played on mouse and keyboard but: The camera was terrible, no matter how much I played with the camera settings the x and y axis always felt either too sensitive or sluggish and the auto camera actively worked against me in some cases (during the part with the expanding platforms I always had trouble landing on the one with the spikes and the one right after because of how awkward the camera was). The radar is pretty bland but I can image that can be fixed easily. The level's format was a little bland since there was no major traversal gimmick like the winds in wild canyon or the turtles in dry lagoon.

Now for the stuff that I personally would think of as being neat. Extra collectables: Sa1 and two both had animals for the chao garden as an extra collectable to encourage more exploration and I think some replacement for that would be good. Giving knuckles and rouge abilities that are unique to each other and service treasure hunting as a gameplay style. The hint system would also be nice I always found it to be an amazing part of the SA2 levels.

Thank you for reading this I really liked the game :)
Thanks for the extensive feedback! I've looked into the camera issue and did find a problem with the mouse sensitivity, so that should be fixed in the next update (which will probably come out after SAGE). The hint system was also something I (ahem) hinted at coming in the next update within the game itself. I have thought about giving Knuckles and Rouge distinct abilities, but I've admittedly had difficulty thinking of how to best differentiate them while still keeping the controls simple.

Hi! KrypticSR Here from the SA2b Speedrunning Community, i have come to speak on behalf of the cult following we have amassed for the hunting stages in that game as a speedrun community, and it has become such an essential part of sa2b speedrunning, we are all really excited and quietly following along with this project, as we've longed for a game that takes the core concept of SA2b hunting stages and designs entirely new stages and gimmicks for the gameplay.

What we'd really love to see speaking for the boys (we were all posting about this in the hunting chat) is an option for the UI to match the original SA2B UI, with the radar and the emeralds and life counter sorta thing, if you can make it look and play as close to the original game as possible, we would be forever in debt to you, as our god of creation, a new wave of content for us to enjoy

I'm also interested in trying to raise funds for this if you develop it further and it looks super promising, if that helps give you motivation!

Hi! KrypticSR Here from the SA2b Speedrunning Community, i have come to speak on behalf of the cult following we have amassed for the hunting stages in that game as a speedrun community, and it has become such an essential part of sa2b speedrunning, we are all really excited and quietly following along with this project, as we've longed for a game that takes the core concept of SA2b hunting stages and designs entirely new stages and gimmicks for the gameplay.

What we'd really love to see speaking for the boys (we were all posting about this in the hunting chat) is an option for the UI to match the original SA2B UI, with the radar and the emeralds and life counter sorta thing, if you can make it look and play as close to the original game as possible, we would be forever in debt to you, as our god of creation, a new wave of content for us to enjoy

I'm also interested in trying to raise funds for this if you develop it further and it looks super promising, if that helps give you motivation!
Also if you have a discord, we'd love to talk to you more directly, and receive updates on your ideas and progress! i reccomend you join the SA2b speedrunning discord, because if you post this in there it could gather a TON of interest, we are definitely your target audience lmao https://discord.gg/tfBvUFTw

Thanks for checking the game out! It's awesome to hear that people are anticipating its future, and I'd love the opportunity to get to talk to people who are even more knowledgeable of the hunting gameplay than I am! While the intent for Knuckles Quest isn't and never will be to exactly replicate either of the Adventure games' hunting gameplay, I am open to letting the player customize their experience, so options to change the radar are possible for future updates.

Item information

Added by
Iggyminious
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
4.50 star(s) 2 ratings

Downloads

More in Fan Games

Share this item