don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo Bristle and the Artificial Invasion (SAGE 2024 Demo)

Overview

BATAI Banner.png

[EDIT (9/17/24): Another slightly updated build has been added to the booth. It's the exact same as the first updated build from the 14th, but the previous one had a broken ending screen, so I had to replace it with a hotfix that has the ending screen work again as intended. Also, just like before, it's only for Game Boy devices. There may be an exe and pocket build in the future, but I'm not making any promises.]

About
Bristle and the Artificial Invasion is a platformer game made in GB Studio that tells the story of a paintbrush named Bristle, whose planet is invaded by an army of artificially generated monsters. It's up to Bristle to rescue his friends and save any neighboring planets affected by this catastrophe.
Bristle Illustration.png

The demo contains 3 different types of levels (pictured in chronological order in the screenshots down below):

1. A platformer level
  2. A boss level
  3. A shmup level

Screenshots
bgb00016.png

bgb00021.png

bgb00019.png

Controls

Levels 1 and 2:

Left/Right: Move

A button (Z/J key): Jump

B button (K/X key): Run

Start button (Enter key): Pause

Level 3:

D-pad: Move

A button (Z/J key): Shoot

Start button (Enter key): Pause

Where to Play
If you have a Game Boy emulator or a cartridge that lets you flash games onto it (or has you load ROMs onto an SD or Micro SD card), you can download the .gb ROM attached to this booth. If you have an Analogue Pocket, you can download the .pocket file and add it to your system. If you prefer not to download, you can play the game here on itch.io:
https://brushman97.itch.io/batai-sage2024-demo

An executable build will hopefully be made available soon. As of September 6th (the first day of SAGE 2024), the site is having trouble with adding large files to booths, so it's unable to be added right now. If you're interested, click the watch button at the top to be informed as to if or when it gets added.
[Update: In the meantime, you can download it through the itch.io link up above (keep in mind that it's for Windows users only)]

Credits

Developers:
Brushman97 - Designer, Programmer, Artist, Composer
KirbyKing186 - Playtester, Programmer
Finny (Flightbun) - Assistant Artist, Playtester, Programmer, Level Designer (Level 1)

Resources Used:

Miscellaneous:
GB Studio Cozy Font by MxAshlynn (Adapted from Cozetter by Ninee!, which was adapted from Cozette by SlawFox)

Special Thanks:

• GB Studio Central
  • GB Studio Lab
  • Finny/Flightbun (for helping out with the game, along with making the title screen for this demo)
  • KirbyKing186 (for also helping out with the game)
and the official GB Studio Discord for helping me out a lot.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Follow me here if you're interested in any progress updates on the game:
https://brushman97.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/RealBrushman97

Also, here's my YouTube channel that I won't use that much for now (may upload devlog videos here):

https://www.youtube.com/@brushman97
Reactions: Gern05

Latest reviews

Had a lot of fun with this one, plus, it's super cool seeing game boy projects here at SAGE! This demo is short, but very sweet, as there's a fair amount of variety with the three stages, and the music is superb too! There's some great platformer and slope momentum going on too, in terms of physics. I played through this on a gba sp via an everdrive and it works perfectly with the hardware!

Keep up the excellent work!!

Attachments

Reactions: BrushMan97
BATAI is a really fun gameboy game with a stellar soundtrack.
The boss fight in level 2 is stupidly easy but besides that I cannot wait to see what comes of this game
BrushMan97
BrushMan97
Thank you for playing, as well as streaming my game! At the moment, I'm working on a slightly updated version of the demo that will make the boss more difficult, along with a couple other small changes.
ur game is awesome and lovely i wanna see the full game !!!!
teach me gbstudio <3

Comments

A fun little demo! I wish we had a bit more sound effects, but what's there is a nice promise. I like the main character's design, the soundtrack is good and the platforming works well, if a little stiff (that jump-pad that throws you in a mostly horizontal way is a tad brutal).
With a little more content, I'm sure this could turn into a fun little old-school platformer with the occasional change of gameplay for a stage or two like they did back then! Keep it up, I followed on itch ;)

Also, is the running animation temporary? I am not I understand why the poor Bristle is upside-down, is it because he runs with his bristles on his head?

A fun little demo! I wish we had a bit more sound effects, but what's there is a nice promise. I like the main character's design, the soundtrack is good and the platforming works well, if a little stiff (that jump-pad that throws you in a mostly horizontal way is a tad brutal).
With a little more content, I'm sure this could turn into a fun little old-school platformer with the occasional change of gameplay for a stage or two like they did back then! Keep it up, I followed on itch ;)

Also, is the running animation temporary? I am not I understand why the poor Bristle is upside-down, is it because he runs with his bristles on his head?
Thanks for playing (and following)! Regarding the sound effects, there'll be more added in the future. As for the jump-pad, I'll see what I can do with it. I might remove the ability to jump on them and include regular springs instead. Also yes, Bristle's running animation is him using his bristles to go faster. I should add a couple frames to his animation that shows him jumping, then flipping upside down.

A paintbrush fighting the horrors of AI art? Genius! Not a lot to see so far, but what's there has a lot of heart. Great character designs, level design and music. I love that Bristle "runs" by flipping upside down and using his bristles. I hope as you continue the game, you add enemies that have too many hands/fingers/feet and other such AI monstrocities. XD

Bristle controls well and I also think it's really cool this game was made with GB Studio. I don't have an actual gameboy and flashcart unfortunately so I had to play the emulated version on itch but it was still pretty neat! The music was nice too, looking forward to seeing what comes next!

This is kinda feels like someone is making a video game on the topic of AI art controversy, it was way pretty much annoying and outrageous when there was a protest happened at ArtStation. Also, it is quite anachronistic when this game was made for Game Boy, which is a handheld console dated like 35 years ago. Though this was done using GB Studio for intent to make homebrew GB games and everyone are using it. At least though, the graphic and gameplay were pretty much simple. Sorry about my grammar issue anyway.

Item information

Added by
BrushMan97
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 3 ratings

More in Original Games

Share this item