don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo Bobo Bay

Overview

Bobo Bay is a pet simulation game where you collect, mash(breed), accessorize, and train little creatures to compete in races and other competitions.

Lots of bobos
There are thousands of combinations of Bobos you can make. Body color, eye color, body part shapes, patterns, sheens, stats, personality traits, etc will all change with each Bobo you find or mash! Distinct Bobo traits and moods will completely change how you interact and care for your Bobos. Don't forget to dress them up in a fancy little top hat as well.

OverviewGif_1_01.gif

Bobos start their life as Saplings. Then they grow into a Seedling which is basically their young adult form. As the Bobo ages and changes based on their stats, they will reach a final Bud form. Finally, at some point, the Bobo will Sprout and offer you the chance to let it evolve!

Competitions galore
Races are the main event in this Bobo world. Different companies and organizations from around the globe sponsor different competition series and award unique prizes! Bring your Bobos along to the BRAND NEW AND VERY CLEAN SPORTS COMPLEX to enter them into a competition. Maybe you just want to put your Bobo into the Shiny Ruby Competition Series which consists of 5 beginner races on 5 different maps that focus on Bobo generalists who have decent skills in running, swimming, and climbing. OR maybe you want to train your Bobo to compete in the Nimbus Air® Jump Series which puts Bobos high in the sky jumping across skyscraper rooftops for 3 difficult races.

Once you get more Bobos, sign them all up for a team relay race! Also, you never know maybe your Bobos will compete in other sports too... hmmmm.. hMM!!!!

OverviewGif_2_01.gif

Bobo Stars
Don't miss the chance to take down the legendary Bobo Stars. If your Bobo beats one of these blockheads then you'll be rewarded with a brand new sapling that is the same species as the Bobo Star. These new species open up loads more Bobo customization possibilities since they offer new colors, patterns, and shapes to mash with your other Bobos.

OverviewGif_3_01.gif

This next sentence is a teaser -> One of the species is a Phantom Bobo. Scary!

Town strolling
Walk through a cute little town to buy accessories for your Bobos to wear, register a new Bobo and see competition history at the Town Hall, purchase snacks for your Bobo to eat, or even adopt a Bobo from the shelter. Remember to go back at night time to see some different shops and options.

OverviewGif_4_01.gif

Please don't go in the alley at night. Thanks.

Check the clock
The time and date are very important! All competitions have scheduled dates they will be held. Check the competition calendar on the Sports Complex Jumbotron to sign up for any competitions that seem tempting! Some competitions will take place every day and night, while others might only happen once a week. Plan ahead and make sure your Bobos are ready to eradicate the competition when the time comes.

It will always be worth checking out each area every day and night. You wouldn't want to miss how rowdy the town gets when celebrating Flag Day!

+ lots more things that I will wait to announce later when I am positive that said feature will actually make it into the game so people can't screenshot this and send it to me after I decide to cut the feature since it was a bad idea to begin with.

Media

Credits

Austo - Development
1booth - Music
tsExvius - 2D artwork

Latest reviews

I originally planned to play this only for a couple of minutes and ended up playing hours lol

It might just be Alpha, but this shows so much promise. The amount of fun i had with building up their skills and seeing them finally beat a race was so rewarding. The skateboard perk in particular was really funny because i just got to see the Bobo BLAST past the other racers like they were cheating on the board.

This revitalized my love for Chao Garden, and I can't wait to see what the game becomes in its later stages. The gameplay loop is super fun. I love the little animal parts you can add (especially the bunny ears).

My only hope is that there will be more exploration in the forest, a possiblity to maybe reroll the shop for a LOT of money, and I think having a way to decorate the island would be really nice.
The only real downside for me so far is that the Agility and Jump stat don't feel like they're used much, a jump course with like multiple paths would be cool, where if the jump stat is high enough they can make the short hops, otherwise they fall to a lower path. Or to make it interesting it can be a pool below so if you have the swim stat you can outclass the jump stats. It would make the races a bit more unique.

Some random but fun movement options as the main character would be fun too, it doesn't have to be anything fancy, but it'd be a fun way to explore and get around faster.

and this is way down the line, but a photo mode is a must, i kept taking screenshots of the Bobo constantly. Fantastic game though, loved it!

Comments

this is the most promising looking chao garden i think i've ever seen since the original! structuring events on a calendar system like this gives the whole thing just a bit more structure than SA2 had, which is appreciated, and i can't wait to see what "sagas" are. super excited to see more!

the only bit of constructive criticism i have is that the scale of the garden area feels great, but the stores/competition lobby rooms feel a bit cramped by comparison. i know it's dangerous in a routine-based game like this to increase the time it takes to get from one place to another but i personally think the mood of those rooms would benefit from being just a bit roomier

I played through what I think was most of if not half of Spring, and this game is incredibly promising! I've only played a small amount of the chao garden in the sonic adventure games since a lot of the mechanics weren't all too clear, but Bobo Bay does a really good job at teaching how the mechanics and stats work. I ended up raising four Bobos and hatching a fifth (we don't need to talk about the sixth one, it totally didn't run away don't worry about it) and I found that the "Hustler" trait was super powerful since it canceled out the typical "tired" state that a Bobo enters after racing once. Whether that means it was TOO powerful is honestly up for interpretation, but I'm interested to see what other traits will show up later on in the game once it's closer to completion.

One thing I will say though is that moving around is fairly slow in the main area, and I found myself getting a little tired of walking long distances to put food items in the limited-space benches every time I returned. The size of the area was fine, but it might be a good idea to increase the running speed a little just so it doesn't get tedious (or have a way to access what's on the benches without needing to run all the way to them).

I really liked how much this game respects the player's time, not requiring to really wait for anything to happen since you control the passage of time by sleeping. Overall this is an incredibly fun and relaxing cozy game and I can't wait to see more in the future!
1726078600254.png

Item information

Added by
bobobay
Views
Comments
Reviews
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Downloads

More in Original Games