don't click here

SAGE 2024 - Demo Biophage

After playing the game more, I must say... The mechanics are perfect. Please don't change a thing. My favorite thing about it is the potential for creative movement and a high skill ceiling. For example, this clip here. The physics, the arm mechanic, the combat system, the way we can use enemies and objects for mobility and flinging ourselves... Incredible work. Honestly, all I can say is that I hope you continue adding levels and I will buy the game on day one if you put it on Steam.

Even if you do decide to change mechanics up due to feedback, I hope you have a setting to make them exactly as they are right now.

Also the level design is incredible and I hope you continue it the way you are now.

Biojuggle gif.gif
Really fun concept.

I'd say the controls are perfect. I just wish there were options to bind your own keys, the default key binding is pretty wack.

Other than that, I just think it's a matter of making the level design better. Sometimes spikes and obstacles are hard to avoid in time because of your movement speed, and the enemies can easily be ignored. I think hitting enemies in this game is very satisfying though, so here's a suggestion:

Try to use enemy placement as a way to allow the player to skip and zoom through platforming challenges. You can already juggle and grapple enemies in mid-air, so it would be interesting if the level design recognized that and dared you to find skips with this mechanic.

The game looks very promising!
Reactions: PsychoPlasm
P
PsychoPlasm
Thanks for the review! There are actually key remappings in the options. They're not exactly permanent since I think resetting the game reverts them back to the original as of now.
As for the level design, I do plan on reworking it. It's a common gripe most people have brought up, and like you said enemies will also need a bit of reworking either in how they obstruct paths and/or how they could be used to launch yourself into new areas.
The game ran really slow on my computer
that being said, the combat is so INCREDIBLE i wouldn't care if the game ran a frame a second! never in all my life have I ever felt more satisfaction in gaming then to slam enemies into walls, floors, and ceilings in this game! and it's combo-able too??? coupled with the great art style and interesting protagonist design makes this an incredible gaming experience no matter the game speed!
(Useless proposal, it would be awesome if you could still slam and hit enemies after their health's already depleted, like in Kirby!)
Biophage is a unique and fun experience. Imagine the huge and expansive levels of Metroid/Castlevania and combine that with the playstyle and combat of Venom from Maximum Carnage, and add to that Aesthetics in the style of of Yoshi's Island and music in that of DKC. This game has a truly amazing amount of exploration. One nice touch I really love is that the enemies are just as effected by stage hazards (spikes, poisonous gas) as you are and you can actually throw enemies to attack other enemies. I will be revisiting this amazing game after SAGE!
I don't like the level design but I loved the character's moveset. I get the feeling that I have an agile and fast character but that the level doesn't seem to be made to fully take advantage of that. As a demo, it seems perfect to me.
AkaneAngèle
AkaneAngèle
I hope you get the most out of it. The most basic thing would be collectibles to unlock the next levels in the story or something like that. Otherwise, nothing would prevent you from ignoring everything in the level.

They could unlock progress, they could be just for a score or 100% archivement (like getting an A+), they could indicate new hidden paths, they could fill a gauge of... "something" for some secret skill or thing. For example, you could make objects that can only be obtained by reaching X place before X time passes and, if not, they disappear. This encourages quick exploration and collecting. There are many possibilities. ╰⁠(⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠´⁠꒳⁠`⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠)⁠╯
AkaneAngèle
AkaneAngèle
And by hidden paths I mean secret unlockables or paths that will get you to your goal faster.

I have one extra thing I forgot to mention. Can you make the speed maintain when you jump? I mean, when you go vertically between walls, jumping from one wall to another sets the speed to the default.
AkaneAngèle
AkaneAngèle
And I wonder what role the enemies will play. They could be an incentive to:
  • Maintain a combo like in Pizza Tower.
  • Take away your score like in many other games.
  • Use as an alternative to rocks for secret paths or collectibles. For example, grabbing an enemy to push them into a destructible wall or perhaps a move for "a double jump when grabbing enemies in the air" to reach places that are not climbable.
  • Have mechanics when grabbing them like in Rollin Rascal. For example, grabbing a fly and being able to jump 3 times or something, grabbing a "rocket" type enemy and flying straight, grabbing a slime and bouncing every time you slam it into the ground
I hope this helps. ╰⁠(⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠´⁠꒳⁠`⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠⸝⁠)⁠╯
The movement is godlike, beating up enemies with a combination of grabs and attacks is beyond satisfying. The only thing I wish was a thing is slope launches, but otherwise, this is one of the most fun platformers I've ever tried and I'm honestly surprised there isn't a steam page for this.
P
PsychoPlasm
Thanks for the review! Yeah, I do think having ramp launches would fit this game well. I plan on tweaking some things as feedback from players comes in, but I'm glad people seem to like it so far!
I love the movment system of this game, it was kind of hard to at first but once I got it I started having fun! the hand drawn animation is so so good! I love this
P
PsychoPlasm
Glad you liked it!