don't click here

What's your favorite fan game/ROM hack

Unlimited Trees

Going home
Aug 28, 2017
Space
See title.

Ironically: Knuckles in China Land

Unironically: Tied between Sonic Utopia, Sonic VR (the ROM hack), and Sonic Overture

breakthetargets

Green Hill Zone
Aug 29, 2017
I am a big fan of Sonic VR, as it challenges your skill with Sonic and it's really fun to actually beat each challenge it gives you. Also, PCM music is nice.

DimensionWarped

Resuming Dangerous Status
Aug 29, 2017
Completed only...

Probably Eggman Hates Furries. I'm also obviously partial to Overbound's Time Twisted... but that's cheating since I had a hand in it even if just a slight one.

ArcaniaCQ

Marble Zone
Aug 29, 2017
Sweden
Fangames: Sonic Utopia, Green Hill Paradise act 2, Sonic Project Survival and Sonic Neo Genesis.

Rom Hacks: Sonic 3 Complete, Sonic 2 XL, Sonic Erazor, Sonic VR and Sonic 1 The next level.

Mors

maryo flashback
Aug 29, 2017
Kebabland
www.mors-games.com
Psycho Waluigi. Not a lot of people talk about it but it's really fuckin good. The concept is unique, the levels are one of the most creative levels in any fangame ever, and even the story is somewhat interesting.

But when it comes to Sonic it's tough to say. So far I really liked Project Survival, but it's just 1 zone. Same for Sonic vs Darkness TNR, it's also like 2 zones long too. So I guess it's Sonic ATS.

Barak

Green Hill Zone
Aug 13, 2017
Jew land
My Favorite Rom Hack is a cliché , but I think the one hack that always inspired me and amazed more then anything has to be Sonic 1 The Next Level by Markey Jester.
it is so full of the most beautiful environments I seen in any Rom Hack, high technical stuff that looks really beautiful and keep things fresh, Music that sounds so smooth and crisp even on actual hardware (and good choise in songs) and even smoother animations for Sonic. this hack is like the top of everything that every hack wish it could reach and I don't see it being toped by anything any time soon. unless maybe Markey is planing something for next SHC which I am looking forward to

Murasaki

Co-Creator of Sonic Utopia
Aug 29, 2017
There are some incredible community contributions to various Blitz Sonic games, many of which were a major inspiration for me in starting the project that eventually became Utopia. I appreciate Blitz and its legacy greatly.

That Fucking Fish

The dedicated fish of the team.
Aug 29, 2017
Chongqing, China
I liked utopia a lot but I'll wait until it's finished, same with overture. I'm gonna have to go with Metal Sonic Hyperdrive I think, or Sonic 1 Burned Edition.

Silent DrawCrab

Sonic Cream
Aug 22, 2017
For favorite fangame, Sonic After the Sequel. I had fun playing again recently, because of the new version with the drop dash and extra boss. For ROM hack, Sonic Megamix. I like how powerful Sonic is, it's fun to use the jump and light speed dashes.

Reactions: UnofficialSkyEmpire

Nerok

no. this doggo is not mine
Aug 31, 2017
fan games:sonic XG, after the sequel dx. gotta love those 60fps
romhacks:sonic winter adventures and sonic 2:s3 edition

MeyerGames

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 23, 2017
www.patreon.com
My favorite fangame was Chrono Adventure, primarilly because it took the Sonic formula and tried a Metroidvania style spin on it. It's the only one of LakeFeperd's games I finished, and I've gotta say it was the best of the bunch.

Reactions: UnofficialSkyEmpire

Unlimited Trees

Going home
Aug 28, 2017
Space
I don't have one, since I only have Sonic Boom for 3DS (my parentz didn't know how bad it was), Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 4 Episode 2 and Sonic CD for IOS, and Sonic Mania for Switch. However, I do have plans for a Sonic 1 hack that has CD's time travel mechanics, and also adds in Chemical Plant Zone, splitting Act 2 in half. A bit lazy, I know, but a big project with my limited rescources. Also, I would create a Sonic CD hack that allows you do customize your music score between JP and US for each individual track, and a Mania music mod with CD US tracks.

And a fangame called "Sonic Genesis" that blends Classic and Modern gameplay.
This thread isn't about fan games and ROM hacks you're making. It's about fan games and ROM hacks from other people that you like, which I'm sure you could've understood very easily by simply reading the title of the thread. I don't know why you are posting about game ideas you have. Did you even bother reading the thread title, or even look at the rest of posts before posting.

And even if I'm misinterrupting what you said, and that the "I don't have one" means that you don't have a favorite fan game, then why'd you bother posting. And I tried looking up "Sonic Genesis Fangame" to see if you're actually talking about someone else's game and not talking about an idea, and I could only find one game which doesn't even blend Classic/Modern gameplay.

Unlimited Trees

Going home
Aug 28, 2017
Space
I sort of just got carried away. In any case, I apologize. I am new to this wiki, and new people tend to do incredibly stupid things.
Alright. Just remember to read the rules, aswell as the read the threads before you start posting. Also P.S, this is a forum, not a wiki.

Nyfo

Green Hill Zone
Sep 12, 2017
Like many others on this thread, my favorite ROM hack is without a doubt Sonic VR. The hack single-handedly proves the saying "Sonic is all about speed" wrong. While it is partly his own fault that Sonic has this saying latched on to him (due to the branding), nothing suggests the opposite as tremendously as Sonic VR. Although it is only a short 40-levels obstacle course, it sheds light on the nuanced gameplay that can be accomplished with the physics in place. For example: In one of the levels, you'll be jumping from platform to platform while getting attacked by buzz bombers. At first, they're a nuisance, however, skilled players will quickly realize that with good timing and aiming, the buzz bombers themselves become platforms which can be used to create a path towards the goal. In a later level, the player has to run up a wall and eventually the ceiling which has several slopes that increases in size. If you run too slow, you fall. If you run too fast, you also fall. The player has to balance and control the speed to make it to the goal. Such things and many others were never fully explored in the classics. Megamix v.3.0 did this too and incorporated it in a smart manner. In Dark Fortress Zone, hidden item boxes were scattered all over the level but to receive them, the player would have to complete a puzzle using the physics or mechanics of the classic Sonic games (like bouncing from item box to item box over a pit of lava). You can also find such level design in Sonic Alt. It's just too bad they are usually over a bottomless pit.

Favorite fangame? Sonic Utopia. It's gonna be great! I hear that they're contemplating on adding Sonic VR-like challenges somewhere down the line. Even if they don't, just the thought of them considering it makes me have that much more faith in the project.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alumae