don't click here

What's a good engine for my fan game?

otatron_

The Fattest Thing Alive
Mar 11, 2019
I tried to use Sonic Worlds, but I don't have money for Clickteam Fusion. Is there any good alternatives?

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
Well you could try the Sonic Max engine. It needs a bit of tweaking out of the box, but overall works fine with the latest Game Maker release. A 12 month Game Maker licence costs $39.

If you needed something free, you might take a look at the Headcannon Game Engine. I don’t have any experience with this one and can’t say for sure how steep the learning curve is, but it’s free so it’s probably worth checking out.

otatron_

The Fattest Thing Alive
Mar 11, 2019
Well you could try the Sonic Max engine. It needs a bit of tweaking out of the box, but overall works fine with the latest Game Maker release. A 12 month Game Maker licence costs $39.

If you needed something free, you might take a look at the Headcannon Game Engine. I don’t have any experience with this one and can’t say for sure how steep the learning curve is, but it’s free so it’s probably worth checking out.
I tried Sonic Max, but it always says ''Unknown function or script: immersion_play_effect''. Do you know how to fix it?

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
I tried Sonic Max, but it always says ''Unknown function or script: immersion_play_effect''. Do you know how to fix it?
The immersion_play_effect function is an obsolete way to manage vibration effects for mobile device. If you don’t plan on releasing your game for mobile devices you can safely comment out any instance of immersion_play_effect.

otatron_

The Fattest Thing Alive
Mar 11, 2019
The immersion_play_effect function is an obsolete way to manage vibration effects for mobile device. If you don’t plan on releasing your game for mobile devices you can safely comment out any instance of immersion_play_effect.
ok thx

Shadow Rift

Marble Zone
Aug 29, 2017
It really depends on if you want your game to be 2D or 3D.

2D Game Engines:

- GMate
GMate is a 2D Sonic engine for Gamemaker 8. This engine is not as accurate as some of the other engines in this list, but it's worth mentioning. It's creator Shiro also did some shady things, but that's an entirely different post.

- Sonic Realms
Is a 2D Sonic engine for Unity. This is one of the trickier engines to use, as Unity uses a common scripting language called C#. It's relatively easy to learn, but can get challenging quickly.

- Sonic MAX and MAX+
Sonic MAX is a very accurate engine, but needs a lot of work. That's where MAX+ comes in. MAX+ is a more refined, and updated version of MAX+. It fixes a lot of the bugs and inconsistencies that MAX has. While also adding brand new features. If you want something accurate, yet easy to use. MAX+ is the best option.

MAX+ currently doesn't have a release date. So you'll have to wait for this one.

- Sonic Worlds
Sonic Worlds is a Sonic engine made for Clickteam Fusion. It comes with 5 characters, and an expansive test stage. This is the least accurate engine on this list, as well as the most limited. Fusion is not a good engine for fangames, but it's really your decision.

- Crimson / Chaos Engine

The Chaos Engine is a unreleased, but in development Sonic engine for the Crimson Engine. You'll likely have heard, or even played this engine in Mr. Potatobadgers Sonic Chaos remake. He's the lead developer behind Crimson Engine, and a leader of the Chaos remake. This is the most accurate engine on this list, but at the cost of being tough to learn. The entire engine is coded in C. One of the oldest scripting languages out there. It's easier to learn and understand then C#, but can be just as confusing.

This is the engine to be on the lookout for if you want something extremely accurate.

- 3D Sonic Engines

- Hedge Physics
Hedge Physics is a 3D Sonic engine for Unity. It requires the most change depending on the style of your fangame.

- Bumper Engine
Bumper Engine is a Adventure styled Sonic engine for Unity. This engine is rough around the edges, and is wildly misused, but with enough dedication, can become something great.

- DashEngine
DashEngine is a 3D Adventure styled engine for Unreal Engine 4. It's a great engine, and is absolutely beautiful, but is held back by some bugs. It's also harder to use, do to Unreal's visual scripting language called Blueprints.

- Infinity Engine
Infinity Engine is a flashy, yet buggy Modern Sonic engine for Unreal Engine 4. This is the best looking engine on the list, but is very buggy, and a mess to use. It also requires you to fix all the bugs yourself, as development of the engine has been postponed indefinitely.

Again, this is purely your decision for what engine you want to use, I'm simply providing a list of available ones to use.

GLXTCHEDGB

Green Hill Zone
Mar 23, 2019
Thanks for the recodmendations. I will try and get all of these. Here are some other engnes:

Not So Simple Sonic Worlds

This is an engine that is used in Clickteam Fusion 2.5 . It is a more complicated version of Simple Sonic Worlds but has advantages. The advantages are that you can have a boss fight in it, it has a screen size option and there are tutorials on youtube. There are plenty of games that use this engine. One of them is Sonic.EXE Spirits of Hell. The Round 2 version is The Whisper of Soul which has mild language in it. I've used the engine before but didn't make a game with it.

Simple Sonic Worlds

(As it said in Not So Simple Sonic Worlds) Simple Sonic worlds is simpler than Not So Simple Sonic Worlds. The advantages are that it's easier so it's recodmended for beginners, it requires not extensions unlike Not So Simple Sonic Worlds and it is very similiar to Not So Simple Sonic Worlds meaning it's not much of a big step for beginners.

Sonic Mania Worlds

Sonic Mania Worlds is an engine based around Sonic Mania. It uses Clickteam Fusion 2.5 to run. This engine features chaos emeralds (I couldn't find Chaos Emeralds in Simple and Not So Simple Sonic Worlds) but you are going to have to make the special stages your self. I don't know any advantages other than you don't have to programme the dropdash.

Sonic Genz

Sonic Genz is an engine that was replaced Sonic Max. He said the Sonic Max ended up being a completely different engine which resulted in Sonic Genz being replaced. You can still find it in these forums. It requires GameMaker 8 and if you want to start editing then you need to find and download the 'Grid Spacial Indexing' and 'Super Sound v1' Extensions to it run. You don't have to programme Tails flying, Modern & Classic with their Homing Attacks (Classic never had a homing attack in the original game, this bothers me), and Modern Sonic's boost. This engine is also has lovely gameplay. I'd recodmend this the most.

That's all I know of. I hope it helps and I'm not saying the you must use all of these.

Last edited:

otatron_

The Fattest Thing Alive
Mar 11, 2019

2D Game Engines:

- GMate
GMate is a 2D Sonic engine for Gamemaker 8. This engine is not as accurate as some of the other engines in this list, but it's worth mentioning. It's creator Shiro also did some shady things, but that's an entirely different post.

- Sonic Realms
Is a 2D Sonic engine for Unity. This is one of the trickier engines to use, as Unity uses a common scripting language called C#. It's relatively easy to learn, but can get challenging quickly.

- Sonic MAX and MAX+
Sonic MAX is a very accurate engine, but needs a lot of work. That's where MAX+ comes in. MAX+ is a more refined, and updated version of MAX+. It fixes a lot of the bugs and inconsistencies that MAX has. While also adding brand new features. If you want something accurate, yet easy to use. MAX+ is the best option.

MAX+ currently doesn't have a release date. So you'll have to wait for this one.

- Sonic Worlds
Sonic Worlds is a Sonic engine made for Clickteam Fusion. It comes with 5 characters, and an expansive test stage. This is the least accurate engine on this list, as well as the most limited. Fusion is not a good engine for fangames, but it's really your decision.

- Crimson / Chaos Engine

The Chaos Engine is a unreleased, but in development Sonic engine for the Crimson Engine. You'll likely have heard, or even played this engine in Mr. Potatobadgers Sonic Chaos remake. He's the lead developer behind Crimson Engine, and a leader of the Chaos remake. This is the most accurate engine on this list, but at the cost of being tough to learn. The entire engine is coded in C. One of the oldest scripting languages out there. It's easier to learn and understand then C#, but can be just as confusing.

This is the engine to be on the lookout for if you want something extremely accurate.

- 3D Sonic Engines

- Hedge Physics
Hedge Physics is a 3D Sonic engine for Unity. It requires the most change depending on the style of your fangame.

- Bumper Engine
Bumper Engine is a Adventure styled Sonic engine for Unity. This engine is rough around the edges, and is wildly misused, but with enough dedication, can become something great.

- DashEngine
DashEngine is a 3D Adventure styled engine for Unreal Engine 4. It's a great engine, and is absolutely beautiful, but is held back by some bugs. It's also harder to use, do to Unreal's visual scripting language called Blueprints.

- Infinity Engine
Infinity Engine is a flashy, yet buggy Modern Sonic engine for Unreal Engine 4. This is the best looking engine on the list, but is very buggy, and a mess to use. It also requires you to fix all the bugs yourself, as development of the engine has been postponed indefinitely.

Again, this is purely your decision for what engine you want to use, I'm simply providing a list of available ones to use.
Thanks for the recodmendations. I will try and get all of these. Here are some other engnes:

Not So Simple Sonic Worlds

This is an engine that is used in Clickteam Fusion 2.5 . It is a more complicated version of Simple Sonic Worlds but has advantages. The advantages are that you can have a boss fight in it, it has a screen size option and there are tutorials on youtube. There are plenty of games that use this engine. One of them is Sonic.EXE Spirits of Hell. The Round 2 version is The Whisper of Soul which has mild language in it. I've used the engine before but didn't make a game with it.

Simple Sonic Worlds

(As it said in Not So Simple Sonic Worlds) Simple Sonic worlds is simpler than Not So Simple Sonic Worlds. The advantages are that it's easier so it's recodmended for beginners, it requires not extensions unlike Not So Simple Sonic Worlds and it is very similiar to Not So Simple Sonic Worlds meaning it's not much of a big step for beginners.

Sonic Mania Worlds

Sonic Mania Worlds is an engine based around Sonic Mania. It uses Clickteam Fusion 2.5 to run. This engine features chaos emeralds (I couldn't find Chaos Emeralds in Simple and Not So Simple Sonic Worlds) but you are going to have to make the special stages your self. I don't know any advantages other than you don't have to programme the dropdash.

Sonic Genz

Sonic Genz is an engine that was replaced Sonic Max. He said the Sonic Max ended up being a completely different engine which resulted in Sonic Genz being replaced. You can still find it in these forums. It requires GameMaker 8 and if you want to start editing then you need to find and download the 'Grid Spacial Indexing' and 'Super Sound v1' Extensions to it run. You don't have to programme Tails flying, Modern & Classic with their Homing Attacks (Classic never had a homing attack in the original game, this bothers me), and Modern Sonic's boost. This engine is also has lovely gameplay. I'd recodmend this the most.

That's all I know of. I hope it helps and I'm not saying the you must use all of these.
Thanks, I'll check those out.

GLXTCHEDGB

Green Hill Zone
Mar 23, 2019
Cool. I was planning my fan game to be 2D but now I've decided to make it 3D since it is more open for the players. I used the PS4 trademark by accident XD.

GLXTCHEDGB

Green Hill Zone
Mar 23, 2019
Ok so I now have a new laptop that can run the Unreal Engine. My fangame will be sticking with 2D since I have realised 3D game making softwares are harder to use so I think I'll use the Not so simple sonic worlds engine. Good luck obatron with your game. if there's a demo or a prototype or anything like that then send me a link of it.

Reactions: NeedleMouse90

NeedleMouse90

Green Hill Zone
Oct 20, 2019
Asking for Illegal Software
[warning]3.1 - Any discussion of the locations of where to find rom downloads or warez/serial numbers are forbidden. [/warning]

Last edited by a moderator:

tannerthemanner

Green Hill Zone
Jun 20, 2020
you can also try open mania
its a really accurate sonic mania engine with tons of stuff to make a basic sonic level
even uses mania files and mania accurate scripts

candice

old dawg
Nov 5, 2021
which is the best game engine to make modern sonic game, but in 2D and needs both classic and modern sonic change. Needed to make sonic generations but in 2d

coiny

Green Hill Zone (litterally)
May 10, 2023

2D Game Engines:

- GMate

- Sonic Realms

- Sonic MAX and MAX+

- Sonic Worlds

- Crimson / Chaos Engine

- 3D Sonic Engines

- Hedge Physics

- Bumper Engine

- DashEngine

- Infinity Engine

what did shiro do?

coiny

Green Hill Zone (litterally)
May 10, 2023
which is the best game engine to make modern sonic game, but in 2D and needs both classic and modern sonic change. Needed to make sonic generations but in 2d
gmate+ has homing attack in it, just make it so that the homing attack isnt restricted to the golden shield,
dash can be added from the fire shield

Last edited: