don't click here

Thoughts on IDW taking over Sonic Comics?

Who was your old fav Archie original Sonic characters?

• Sally

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Antoine

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Rotor

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Bunnie

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Scourge

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (I can't remember all the names)

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

LookOutItsShadow

The coolest!
Aug 29, 2017
Australia
chevertheshrimp.deviantart.com
So, as we all know, Archie has officially laid their Sonic the Hedgehog comic series to rest and IDW has now taken over the rights and ect. What are your thoughts on it? Do you think IDW is going to make Sonic great again, or will it go down the toilet?
I have pretty good hopes for IDW and sonic as I've seen a few of their other comic series and it looks promising. I just hope it will become a new series to remember.

SlumberGlss

Nintender? Who's that?
Aug 29, 2017
Knowing IDWs work, i trust them.

They usually try to stick to the source material, and i am not really fond of Archies/DiCs characters.

I believe they did some Transformers comics, and TMNT comics.

I remember reading one of their TMNT comics and i really liked the writing.

Dolphman

Sprite resource designer.
Aug 29, 2017
Australia NSW
They're the current license holders to both of those. Their Ghostbusters comics are worth checking out as well.

Baron Von Jiggly

Apple Wizard of Mt.Fuji
I want the old team back on archie the post penders team around when the comic was ending because they were starting to get on the right track and had to end things so abruptly.
also on the idea of Tyson Heese working on the IDW comics. on one hand i find that to be an interesting idea. but on the other the guy is already busy enough as is there is no way he could be the main artist for those comics.

CosmicEternity

Reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself!
I'm feeling pretty good about IDW having control of the Sonic comics.

They're really good about respecting the material and staying in constant contact with their licencors and by now, the MLP comics are actually starting to factor into the show. Not only that, but IDW is embracing Sonic's past in comic books, and has the potential to hire past staff. We don't know yet if SEGA is reclaiming and buying content back from Archie so IDW's writers have access to it, but I'm hopeful the art and storywriting will be well handled from now on.

Arkenova

Queen of Shenanigans
Aug 29, 2017
East Coast USA
@Dolphman I'm screaming out for that Sonic/TMNT crossover. However, I would wait it out until Sonic and his pals are settled down in their new home with the IDW comics before something like that happens.

Murasaki

Co-Creator of Sonic Utopia
Aug 29, 2017
I'm not sure how I feel because I have no idea what direction Sonic is going in just yet. But if Tyson Hesse is involved, I'm definitely interested.

There are some things I'll definitely miss about the old comics. Mostly with the more recent series and their use of the Adventure/Advance art style. And my favourite comic-specific character was probably Nicole the Holo-Lynx. Artificial Intelligence is an appealing subject to me in general.

But alas, Sonic needs to evolve. I'm hoping for the best.

Reactions: Arkenova

ChaosFusion

Coffee Addict
Aug 29, 2017
Since I wasn't that interested in the Archie Comics (Didn't help that I never bothered to research entry points), this could be a nice new entry point depending on how they handle them.

InstantSonic

Green Hill Zone
Apr 27, 2017
Any publisher is better considering how Archie handled the series. However, I believe IDW to be the perfect pick... I just hope at least a couple of the base Freedom Fighters show up.

RetroRespecter

Green Hill Zone
Sep 8, 2017
Archie Comics is a shade of what it once was. The stories it produces nowadays is all the proof that is needed. SEGA knew this and immediately cut ties with Archie Comics. Sonic the Hedgehog & Friends are better off in IDW Publishing's hands.

Sslaxx

Marble Zone
Sep 8, 2017
Malvern, UK
No Ian Flynn to back up their use (and can't argue continuity of publisher or license in any case), legal issues with Penders et. al. and other general confused ownership issues, hostility from certain parts of SEGA - if the old SatAM characters are allowed to be used in any capacity, @InstantSonic and @Murasaki, it would be a miracle.

StrawHatLuffy

Green Hill Zone
Sep 20, 2017
I'm confident IDW will be great publishers for Sonic's new comics. I just hope my guys Ian Flynn and Tyson Hesse will get to work on the book. I'm also pretty curious on what type of universe we'll see with these books. Will it be a bit more like the games, similar to how Post-Reboot Archie was and possibly adapt game stories with a new direction and a few new characters? Or something completely new? It'll definitely be interesting, that's for sure.