don't click here

Game The Great Frebbventure

AlmyriganHero

Green Hill Zone
Aug 9, 2020
You might (but probably don't) remember me and my game from last year's SAGE event. Several months of plugging away later, it hit me that... well, it's been a while since I've actually taken a step back from the typing and spriting to actively follow a gamedev community! Long story short, I decided now was as good a time, and here as good a place, as any. And what better way to start, than reintroducing the game that first brought me here?

So what is a 'Frebbventure,' exactly?

The Great Frebbventure is a frenetic 2D action platformer that takes many of its gameplay cues from Kirby - of all things. Simple base progression, overlayed with extensive and distinct movesets that aid both in traversal and in combating a broad range of healthbar-based enemies and bosses. There are (will be) 4 total playable characters, each with distinct handling and moves, but a baseline set of mechanics that allow them to comfortably beat any level in the game. Also, while it doesn't have quite the physics-based gameplay of Sonic, momentum and level design are both loose enough to make advanced speedrunning feasible.

Story and structure-wise, Frebbventure follows a... well... adventure-centric format. Short cutscenes are frequent, map screens are laid out realistically, and levels themes are diverse but geographically cohesive. The first chapter, Breezy Heights, is a tropical excursion that takes you through grasslands, mountains, villages, a jungle, volcanic wastes, and finally the throat of the volcano itself. You'll have settled the feud between two warring tribes and exposed Ulcethot's hand in the matter before you've even left home for vengeance!

Four playable characters, though? Let's meet the cast!

Ordinarily a restful and content being, this cartilaginous mutant cat has had one too many naps interrupted by the alien Ulcethot's chaotic regime. When his final complaint is answered with a televised assassination attempt and pilfering of his home, he finally decides that enough is enough and sets out on the world's grouchiest quest for revenge! Last seen carrying a bazooka and a mean backhand, this man should not be approached, and definitely not obstructed!

Capable of attacking from almost any angle with his versatile, multi-purpose spin punch, the maneuverable but durable Frebb is an ideal all-rounder. A low slide kick will put you on the other side of foes in a jiffy, and when in doubt his Frebbzooka (patent pending) can blow down multiple targets across any distance.

Polar opposite in personality to Frebb, Drinn the Raindeer (no that's not a misspelling, she has water powers) is meek, cheerful, and ceaselessly energetic. She's the last of her tribe to evade the clutches of the fiery Warhogs, and after being rescued by Frebb from near-capture, she sets out to free her people, with the promise to join Frebb's quest after all is said and done. Her goofy and clumsy personality grates on his nerves, but she's ultimately courageous and helpful enough to keep around.

Technically bigger and stronger than Frebb but lacking his uncanny durability, Drinn is in all things - both combat and platforming - a glass cannon. Floaty jumps, the fastest run speed in the game, and an arsenal of wide-swinging wind and water powers make her a powerful choice for players of mid to advanced skill. [Drinn is finished in the development builds, but is currently only an NPC in playable demos. This comes down mostly to a change in plot progression.]

A ceaselessly hungry creature of few words and fewer brain cells, Roxy would at first appear to be just another of the arid Yonderlands' freakish inhabitants. Actually... no, that's about it, but she's also accompanied by a researcher who joins Frebb's side, so she's... sort of a friend. Frebb and her get off to a rocky start, it's really a bit of a complicated relationship but you'll get it when you see it, trust me.

The heaviest (I know big surprise) but all-round most powerful character, Roxy has a lot of weight to throw around and enough health to spare. Her long, sticky tongue can catch and subdue most foes with ease, and eating refills a meter that can be drawn on to execute devastating fire attacks. [Roxy IS currently unlockable, but has been heavily redesigned and reworked since her last public iteration]

Doctor Mindstein is a brilliant scientist whose career was cut short when he started digging too deep into the properties of Ulcethot's 'BOOST!' energy drink and fuel production cycle. Exiled to the Yonderlands, he's none the less kept his research efforts alive while caring for Roxy. A chance run-in with Frebb puts him on the path back to Cosmopolis City, where he hopes to reunite with his previous colleagues. Mindstein is essentially the straight man of the group, if less surly than Frebb then also less likely to crack jokes at the expense of his enemies.

While all characters have at least a few ranged techniques, Doctor Mindstein is unique in that all of his attacks are projectiles of some sort. From boomerang laser discs to a charge beam to a run-and-gun pistol that lets him aim up and down at any angle while moving, the good doctor owns every angle of attack on the battlefield. Like Drinn, he is relatively fragile, but an invincible dodge roll and a booster pack that gives him up to three midair dashes help him weave around damage. [Also like Drinn, he is currently just an NPC. In the final build, he'll be unlocked simultaneously with Roxy.]

Okay, cool and all, but what can I play so far?

The latest demo build, version 0.3, can be found on the itch.io page, which has been my main update portal up to this point.

What's available:
- 2 / 4 worlds (Breezy Heights, the Yonderlands)
- 20 / 40-ish campaign stages (including bonus levels for collecting all medals in each world)
- 2 / 4 playable characters
- 7 dedicated boss stages (+sporadic mid-bosses in normal stages)
- 2 vehicle levels, one per world and each one taking up a 'normal stage' slot
- Most cutscenes thus far, though not all in their final iterations
- Translation: Roughly 50% of campaign content is playable, though much is behind the current dev build
- A few hours of playtime assuming you're going for unlockables and are pretty good at chaotic platformers
- A fair share of bugs

Where I am currently:
- 3/4 worlds (Cosmopolis, the city world, is basically finished)
- 30-ish campaign stages
- 4 / 4 playable characters (Mindstein is still not fully implemented, but is mostly playable)
- 11 dedicated boss stages
- 4 vehicle levels (one is technically just a platforming stage but in power armor)
- All of World 3's cutscenes complete
- Roughly 75% of campaign content is finished

What's left:
- World 4 (Ice, 'horror,' Chinese and Japanese motifs)
- 10 stages, probably 4 more dedicated boss levels, all accompanying cutscenes
- Secret stages and secret final boss for 100% completion
- Satisfactory cinematics for both the normal and secret 100% ending
- Alternate game modes (mainly remixing campaign content. Once again, some very Kirby-inspired plans.)
- 4 more playable characters for bonus modes. Will probably just be playable versions of the 'main 4' antagonists.
- Enemy encyclopedia
- Free demo 0.4? Maybe, maybe not.

AlmyriganHero

Green Hill Zone
Aug 9, 2020
Can wait to play the new demo
If that was a typo and you meant to say you can't wait to play the new demo, I appreciate your enthusiasm!

If it wasn't, and you did mean you can wait... I mean in a way I guess you may as well wait, I have actually been considering a possible SAGE 2021 demo featuring the first half of the game but with the most up-to-date features. My 2020 showing was a bit of a botch job, but giving up after one try hasn't gotten many people anywhere.

Reactions: YoannUlrichNdri