don't click here

The cycle of Sonic fangames must end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoggyDoggy

Marble Zone
Jun 18, 2019
This is a game development community, what we do here is make games-- many of which are very ambitious in nature. This isn't a community where people just post complaints about how some games should exist but don't. XD

There are some really nice fighting games in the SAGE library. If you disagree, that's your personal opinion and should be a hint to you that maybe you should take up the effort of making this game you want yourself.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Most fighting games are basically MUGEN, but with Sonic characters. Almost all of them only include the characters from the video games and if they want to add more characters that are outside the video games, they choose to add recolors and fancharacters instead of characters from series and comics.

thereel1_

A kid with some passion in my breakfast
Sep 11, 2017
I understand your point pretty well. You want to see more love shown to the shows and comics, which I get. Not a lot of people know about the old cartoons and comics.

But can I just slide this onto your desk for a minute? I won't get into spoilers, but it draws heavily from Sonic SatAM. It's called Sonic Transitions, and it's by PM13. Here it is: https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/sonic-transitions.385/

Reactions: SoggyDoggy

Coderman64

Sound Test
Oct 2, 2019
coderman64.github.io
Most fighting games are basically MUGEN, but with Sonic characters. Almost all of them only include the characters from the video games and if they want to add more characters that are outside the video games, they choose to add recolors and fancharacters instead of characters from series and comics.
Y'know what? You're right... I don't know why people prefer to add their own characters over the extended media ones. Heck, even alternative Sonic fan media can be taken into account, like maybe GOTF Sonic or Tempest from the Sonic Legacy comic. Or heck, even Nazo. Why not?

Don't think I have enough time to develop something like that (I've already taken on enough projects as-is) but that really would be cool.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
I want to pick up this thread once again. This time to talk about a fangame that all Sonic fans should take note to make a Sonic game that is a complete departure from the usual.

This is Mushroom Kingdom Fusion. A fangame based on the Super Mario franchise where it crossovers with a multitude of video game franchises. Not only Nintendo game franchises, but also franchises that are completely unrelated such as Megaman, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Metal Slug, etc.

This left me impressed that a fan has made such an ambitious game and probably had many years of development for all the content it offered.

If you don't know anything about fangame. Look up several gameplays of that game on YouTube so you know what I'm talking about.

After that, I've thought about the following. Why don't they make a game like that, but with Sonic?

You see. I want a Sonic fangame that would be like the aforementioned Mushroom Kingdom Fusion. But instead of doing crossovers with different video game franchises. Make crossovers with the different adaptations Sonic has had to other media. Like AOSTH, SatAM, Archie, Fleetway, Manga, OVA, Underground, Sonic X and the novels. Yep, there are novels based on Sonic.

And that encompasses all those adaptations down to the smallest detail, that includes characters, worlds, locations, powers, abilities, lore etc.

I want it to be a project as big as Mushroom Kingdom Fusion and have a multitude of playable characters, that includes characters that are most unusual in a Sonic game. It's not enough to put 3 or 4 characters that represent the universe of X series and comic where it originates. It has to be each and every one of the characters of the multiverse of the blue hedgehog. That also includes bosses, side characters or characters that had a very brief appearance in one of those adaptations.

As for the levels. I don't just want levels that are considered "iconic" in Sonic games. I also want levels inspired by locations from various series and comics. Can you imagine a level set in Robotropolis or a level set in Land of Darkness.

I want fanservice. And I don't want fanservice that is only focused on one x thing, it should be fanservice for all kinds of fans.

The most important thing. I want there to be lots of references and easter eggs to the whole Sonic multiverse. That includes things like "PINGAS" or "Get a Load of This".

Other things to highlight. I want it to have support for mods and to be Open Source. This to prolong the life of this game thanks to the community and in case the game runs out of updates, it would be the community that would continue the development of this game and stay alive for a couple of years more. If you don't believe me, take SRB2 as an example.

Please. I want a fangame like that, because of how great Mushroom Kingdom Fusion has been. We deserve a similar game but with Sonic and the multimedia multiverse that surrounds him. And one that takes full advantage of the potential of all those series and comics. I don't want a game where only Sonic Boom characters are in it, nor a game where only IDW characters are in it, nor a game where only Sonic from the 2020 movie is in it. There has to be each and every one of the characters that have appeared in all the adaptations that the blue hedgehog has had. And I'm talking literally.

This to create a game merely worthy to pay homage to the Sonic The Hedgehog franchise. And if that game becomes a reality, people who have an opinion about the creator of that game will say that he is not only a true Sonic fan, he is also a man of culture. Thus breaking the almost endless cycle of making fangames that are copy and paste of official games.

X Spranp

Green Hill Zone
May 26, 2021
Please, no. I hate crossovers, I don't want Sonic to be ruined with any more multiverse crap. All I want is a game with minimum story and good gameplay.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Please, no. I hate crossovers, I don't want Sonic to be ruined with any more multiverse crap. All I want is a game with minimum story and good gameplay.
Sorry. But the multimedia multiverse that Sonic has had has a lot of historical value and should not be lost or forgotten in any way.

X Spranp

Green Hill Zone
May 26, 2021
Sonic CD has far better story than anything you've suggested here. Besides, you didn't even mention the Sonic OVA in the original post, which is something that REALLY needs a fangame. It's the only thing that actually has good ideas for a game.

Last edited:

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Sonic CD has far better story than anything you've suggested here. Besides, you didn't even mention the Sonic OVA in the original post, which is something that REALLY needs a fangame. It's the only thing that actually has good ideas for a game.
Forgive me, but all the multimedia Sonic has ever had. I mean. The promotional comic, AOSTH, SatAM, Archie, Fleetway, the gamebooks, the manga, the French comic Sonic Adventures, the novels, Underground and Sonic X has a lot of historical value. A value much higher than you think.

And that must be preserved so that it is not lost or forgotten over the years.

So I ask for this ambitious fangame that consists of a crossover with all the multimedia multiverse that Sonic has had, so you can see the high historical value that these adaptations have had and that I deserve to be recognized by the people of today.

And I will never rest, until that game that I wish so much, becomes a reality.

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
And that must be preserved so that it is not lost or forgotten over the years.
This is the internet. Can’t get much more preserved than that. Sonic media isn’t going anywhere.

And I will never rest, until that game that I wish so much, becomes a reality.
I’d love to see it happen. When are you making the first demo?

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
This is the internet. Can’t get much more preserved than that. Sonic media isn’t going anywhere.

I’d love to see it happen. When are you making the first demo?
I don't know. I once tried to program my own game in Game Maker Studio and ended up abandoning it. Because it seemed complicated to me to program that game that I wanted to create. Besides I don't have a good PC to program that game. By the way, it was a project to port a game from RPG Maker to GMS.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Clickteam is a good program for Sonic games.
But it is more limited to 2D. So if I want to make a game in 2.5D, ie. A game that uses 2D sprites on 3D environments, similar to those games of the Playstation or Saturn era. That would not be possible with that engine you just mentioned.

Quartzviel

Press Start Screen
Dec 12, 2020
Try using Unity3D then. There are a lot of tutorials for it and it shouldn't be too hard to make a Sonic fan game in it either (it's literally just pinball physics adapted for fast-paced platforming). You can also learn Blender to create the assets or modify existing ones, and learn programs such as Paint Tool Sai, Photoshop or Clip Studio Paint for asset texturing.

If you want to make a 2.5D game in Unity where character models are sprites and backgrounds are polygon meshes, then search for the appropriate tutorials, combine what you learned and make something.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Try using Unity3D then. There are a lot of tutorials for it and it shouldn't be too hard to make a Sonic fan game in it either (it's literally just pinball physics adapted for fast-paced platforming). You can also learn Blender to create the assets or modify existing ones, and learn programs such as Paint Tool Sai, Photoshop or Clip Studio Paint for asset texturing.

If you want to make a 2.5D game in Unity where character models are sprites and backgrounds are polygon meshes, then search for the appropriate tutorials, combine what you learned and make something.
Creating a Sonic game is a complicated thing. If I were to create my own game, I prefer it to be something original and something basic where it's not so complicated to program.

X Spranp

Green Hill Zone
May 26, 2021
Why don't you just make a 2D prequel of your game first, and then try learning 3D programming, etc, and then make a sequel to that game that has everything you wanted?

Quartzviel

Press Start Screen
Dec 12, 2020
Creating a Sonic game is a complicated thing. If I were to create my own game, I prefer it to be something original and something basic where it's not so complicated to program.
It's not actually as complicated as you think, but it is going to take time and effort to become decent at, like most things.

If you don't want to make an engine or framework from the ground up, then you may want to look at existing open-source Sonic engines, such as Sonic World (Clickteam Fusion framework) or the Infinity Engine (Unreal Engine framework). Then, look up tutorials and documentation for anything else that you wish to learn.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Hello I take up again this topic and it is about an idea that occurred to me in my head.

Why don't you make another event parallel to SAGE, similar to RAGE?

I want an event where they show Sonic fangames but that are completely different from the official games. Games that instead of taking as a base the official games, would take as a base many of the adaptations to series and comics that the blue hedgehog has had and most of them would be starred by different characters from different points of view in any of the adaptations that Sonic has had.

And I want this event to be called MAGE, whose name is composed by the initials of Mobius Amateur Games Expo. Since not all the games shown in that event that I want, would have Sonic as the main character, this because many of the adaptations that Sonic has had have a big and extensive lore and that would limit and restrict a lot the creative freedom if a game centered only on Sonic is made based on those universes. If not, take the Paper Mario saga for example with its latest games like Sticker Star, Color Spash and The Origami King.

What do you think, do you think it's a good idea?

X Spranp

Green Hill Zone
May 26, 2021
Sonic Spinball might be the game that fits your description fully. It has elements from SatAM, AoStH, etc. And it's an official game.

Status
Not open for further replies.