Feb 16, 2021
um what???????????
i dont even know whats hapening at this current moment

() ()
___

Automatic Summer

CD DOUBLE Jumper
Jul 18, 2020
I do know about: Sonic underground, Sonic Boom (i guess) AOSTH and Sonic the hedgehog tv cartoon thing animated like the other one i mentioned before this one with a more serious tone
What i dont know: i didn't know comics of sonic existed until i saw videos about them i wasn't shocked or anything like that. Never watched Sonic X but i dont because it looks like garbage and how im NOT A TRUE SONIC FAN!!!
What makes me A TRUE FAN:
Played and completed some sonic games sonic 1 (SMS) {100%} sonic 1 (MD) {100%} sonic 2 (MD) {100%}
I've completed sonic 06 sonic boom fire and ice sonic unleashed sonic generations
No i dont think i have played every game ever because the list isn't too long but i have been i big fan of sonic and play his games (i feel like i've played many. But i doubt im far at all)
Im just gonna point out the most strong point of what makes me a sonic fan:
Did one of the hardest cheat codes in a sonic game EVER! (Sonic 3 Level select cheat code) where you press UP UP UP DOWN DOWN DOWN UP UP UP UP
I CANT EVEN DO IT AGAIN

PM13

Shameless Recolor
Feb 25, 2018
Did one of the hardest cheat codes in a sonic game EVER! (Sonic 3 Level select cheat code) where you press UP UP UP DOWN DOWN DOWN UP UP UP UP
I CANT EVEN DO IT AGAIN
I salute you, sir. I was never able to do that consistently.

Dean

is your memory card set correctly?
Oct 20, 2020
yeah it doesn't seem hard, and, at least for me, it's not
but the thing is... you don't have that long to input the code, 79 frames on 60hz to be exact, and there's a ludicrous amount of frames on which your input won't be accepted

Reactions: PM13

VGFox

VGFox Games
Sep 16, 2020
Mobius
www.youtube.com
Well, the title of this thread is definitely weird... just because you don't like most fan games doesn't mean it's a cycle that "must end." Your preferences don't speak for all fans. Also, you don't have to see every form of media that has ever been made about the Sonic series to be a fan. We're all Sonic fans for different reasons, you know?

Anyway, I don't believe that fan games are stagnating... there's definitely a lot to explore and it can get overwhelming sometimes. But you've made it out to be like Sonic fan games are all the same, when that's definitely not true. There's a few interesting fan games based off SatAM, for example: Sonic SatAM Liberations, Sonic Epoch (an older one), and another one that was mentioned.

While you're right that most fan games are based on what you've said (Classic Sonic, Sonic Adventure, Modern Sonic), that's expected because these are the most popular eras of the Sonic series. Everything else you've pointed out (AOSTH, Sonic SatAM, Archie, Fleetway, Underground, Sonic X) is much more obscure. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of fan game potential there that I want to see used more. But there's plenty of fan game potential in other newer eras of the series too (Sonic Boom, the IDW comics, the movie). Just because it isn't a part of the series you like, doesn't mean it has "no culture."

Overall, I can see where you're coming from, because there are patterns with fan games, of course. I'd like to see more concepts based on lesser known areas of the series too, but you can't change what other people enjoy more, or what's more popular.

Last edited:

Nascar01

Green Hill Zone
Feb 16, 2021
yeah it doesn't seem hard, and, at least for me, it's not
but the thing is... you don't have that long to input the code, 79 frames on 60hz to be exact, and there's a ludicrous amount of frames on which your input won't be accepted
View attachment 10794
um ok I CAN SEE HOW THIS IS HARD NOW THAT I GET THE just of what it looks like

Nascar01

Green Hill Zone
Feb 16, 2021
Sonic X) is much more obscure.
i dont think SONIC X was ubscure just nobody liked the ending they way it happened. and with the show abandoned well never know what happened next

maybe idk

EVER...

Coderman64

Sound Test
Oct 2, 2019
coderman64.github.io
Hey all! Thought I would weigh in on this. Probably going to get caught up in the drama, but hey, why not?

So yeah, most fan games are based mostly around the genesis sonic games, the Adventure era, or modern (boost) sonic, with slight variations. Sure, there are places where they vary drastically (and that's pretty cool), but these are the major bases.

So why is this?

Well, I think it has more to do with the medium rather than anything else. Sure, Fleetway, Archie, and the shows are more obscure than these "mainline" game titles, but I think it has more to do with the fact that these games represent established game design formulas that are easy to iterate on. When people start to think about where the gaming franchise should go in terms of gameplay, it is usually an evolution of one of these gaming styles rather than a complete overhaul, which (as far as I am concerned) is probably a good thing.

While the games are good gameplay references, the comics and shows are better story references. That's why much of the fan works stemming from these mediums are story-based (like comics and fanfiction) rather than gameplay-based (like a fan game).

I know that many Pokemon games take more from the story department of other mediums, but I think this is a by-product of the type of game. In short, an RPG is much more conducive to storytelling than an action platformer. Many times, Sonic fan game creators like to innovate on the gameplay side first, and then maybe create a story to fit. I understand your frustration with not being able to find games based on your favorite mediums, but I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding about the game design process for these games.

Besides, there is the idea that if you want to see these games so badly, you should make it yourself. That's what got all of us started here. Learn some game-dev skills, build a game, and submit whatever you come up with to SAGE. Sure, it's hard, but the process is rewarding and the computer skills you learn can be helpful in your future career, whatever it may be.

Also, in terms of needing to meet a bare minimum to be a "true" sonic fan, all I'll say is this: being a fan of anything (including Sonic) is something that you decide for yourself, not something that others can decide for you. Knowing about the more obscure Sonic mediums should only be a possible by-product of being a fan, not a requirement for it.

Thank you all for listening to my TED talk.

Last edited:

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
I come back to this topic and you should know one thing. This year is Sonic's 30th anniversary and this should be celebrated for something. After the disappointment I had with Sonic Central.

I would like a Sonic game, but not a platformer, but a fighting game. And that is not limited to gather characters from the video games and nothing else as it happened with Sonic Smackdown. I want it to include characters from AOSTH, SatAM/Archie, Fleetway, Underground and Sonic X.

I want that game to include as many characters as possible from all the multimedia multiverse that the blue hedgehog has had, to be constantly updated, to be Open Source and to have support for mods.

And that game should be made so that new people in the fandom know that these characters from these adaptations exist and that these characters are part of the history of the blue hedgehog.

That game should include all kinds of characters and most of them should be playable. Even the most unusual ones.

Can you imagine playing with King Boom Boo or playing with Doom's Eye and in more bizarre cases, playing with Professor Pickle. And in even more bizarre cases, playing with the maid of the Todyklyde family whose name I can't remember.

I say this because there are fangames that have a lot of content and are still in development. See games like Power Bomberman, Megaman 8-bit Deathmatch and Mushroom Kingdom Fusion.

Why can't a fangame this big and ambitious be made but with Sonic?

Status
Not open for further replies.