The cycle of Sonic fangames must end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazhnuz

Green Hill Zone
Sep 5, 2017
Just here.
kazhnuz.space
About "preservation" there are already a lot of people working on preserving and making live the older continuities. the Sonic IP might be with the Pokemon one of the few community where we have that much non-"mainstream" work. I mean, we have two fan-comics continuation, old media are referenced a lot of the fandom, and the fact that there is more than 0 fangame about them is already a lot by many standards.

They'll always will be less known that the current stuff, but that pretty normal. But we are in a fandom where I would say that they have recognition and love.

And if you can't make game, you can still work on making the few that exist better known and helping having positive stuff about these continuity said, and it'll certainly work more than insulting everybody that would have the possibilities of making such games.

SoggyDoggy

Marble Zone
Jun 18, 2019
I return once again. And we must tell you that there are fangames, mods and hacks based on the pre-2010 adaptations that Sonic has had. But most of them are simply almost the same as the official games, only with another skin, while others only add a character from one of those adaptations and nothing else.

Here is the list of fangames, mods and hacks that I have found on the Internet so far:
-Adventures of Sonic Mania Mod for Sonic Mania
-Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog Mod for Sonic Mania
-American Sonic + Fleetway Super Sonic Mod for Sonic Mania
-Archie Comics Pack Mod for Sonic World
-Breezie Over Rouge Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Bumper Engine
-Bunnie in Sonic 1 (Sonic 1 Hack)
-Comic/SatAM Inspired Theme Mod for Sonic World
-Cosmo Mod for Sonic World
-Dr. Robotnik AoStH Mod for Sonic Mania
-Dr. Robotnik AoStH Plus Mod for Sonic Mania
-Eclipse the Darkling Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Fleetway Super Sonic Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Manic and Sonia Mod for Sonic World
-Manic and Sonia Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Manic themed sonic Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Metal Scourge Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Miles Prower (Anti-Miles) Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Princess Sally as Knuckles Mod for Sonic Mania
-Project S.R.T Mod for Sonic Mania
-Project Sonic (Sonic X) - Miles "Tails" Prower Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Pseudo Sonic Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Ron Lim's Sonic Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Sally Acorn Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Sally Acorn Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Sally in Sonic 1 (Sonic 1 Hack)
-Sally in Sonic 2 (Sonic 2 Hack)
-SEO Sonic Simulator (Roblox Fangame)
-Scourge Mania Plus (Sonic Mania Mod)
-Scourge The Hedgehog Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Scourge The Hedgehog Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Scourge Themed Sonic Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Sonic 3 and Sally (Sonic 3 Hack)
-Sonic Adventure: Revolution
-Sonic Epoch Advance
-Sonic Rush - The Scourge of Mobius
-Sonic the Hedgehog: Brutus
-Sonic the Hedgehog RPG
-Sonic Transitions
-Sonic Underground DX Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Sonic Universe RP (Roblox Fangame)
-Sonic Worlds Delta Revamped
-Sonic X costume for Amy Mod for Sonic Adventure DX
-Sonic X Scouter Mod for Sonic Adventure 2
-Super Robotnik Land Remake
-Tales of Phantasy: a Sonic and Klonoa RPG
-The S Factor Sonia and Silver (Sonic 1 Hack)
-vs. Fleetway Super Sonic Plus Mod for Sonic Mania

In conclusion. It seems that fans do not take full advantage of the potential of these adaptations and only limit themselves to make skins or add a new mechanic and nothing else. What a wasted potential.
I, for one, think you need to actually play Sonic the Hedgehog RPG before making that determination!

It's pretty much not at all like any existing Sonic game. That's the point of the series!

Similarly, I'd argue that the other RPGs, Sonic Brutus (based on the UK IP, Sonic the Comic), Forces of Mobius (based on an AU of Archie/SatAM), and Tales of Phantasy (based on AU of Archie, I believe) are also in that vein.

Last edited:

Rendangbike

Sonic never said "Gotta go fast"
Sep 26, 2021
This is proof that Sonic fans are not real fans and most of them are from the crystal generation who only played the most current games like Generations, Lost World, Mania and Forces. And from the previous games, they only played Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 that are on Steam. As for adaptations, they only remember Sonic Boom, IDW comics and the 2020 movie.
That'll be like saying Mario fans are not real fans because they haven't played Hotel Mario. Sonic fans means people who are fans of Sonic, not fans of every single thing related to Sonic.

Reactions: Rabbitearsblog

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
That'll be like saying Mario fans are not real fans because they haven't played Hotel Mario. Sonic fans means people who are fans of Sonic, not fans of every single thing related to Sonic.
Don't compare Sonic with Mario please

Last edited:

Arrietty

Marble Zone
Aug 20, 2020
Don't compare Sonic with Mario please
Why not? It's a fair comparison. Mario and Sonic are both video game centric IPs with various spinoffs video game and other media-wise. The whole idea that people cannot be true fans of something because they dont consume all media of it is fucking insane. But I'm gonna assume you have no argument and just want to start shit. Alright, cool, thanks for wasting our time.

Btw maybe fuck off with your whole "true fans" bullshit. Alright?

Nascar01

Green Hill Zone
Feb 16, 2021
I agree, ive played only 2 mario games and im quite fond of the plumer, same with sonic, ive only played team racing, colors ultimate, mania, mania plus, and forces, all (exept mania) are not quite the best sega games but they would make the cut of me being a fan

Nascar01

Green Hill Zone
Feb 16, 2021
man i really need to read other messages before comenting
also i agree with JPG about mario and sonic being a fair comparrison
after all they did the olympics together

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Mario and Sonic are not fair comparisons.

Mario falls far short in every aspect. Since it doesn't change anything regarding gameplay and history. He's just a red plumber trying to save the princess from a giant turtle and that's it.

On the other hand, Sonic is supposed to evolve not only in terms of gameplay, but also in terms of story. We have gone from seeing a blue hedgehog destroying robots of an evil scientist in order to save some little animals. To a cool, rebellious, rockstar hedgehog who has enjoyed all sorts of adventures, ranging from confronting a 1000 year old water elemental to becoming a werehog at night.

However with games like Sonic Colors, Generations and Lost World it was a complete step backwards as the stories became simple and monotonous and previously playable characters like Tails, Knuckles and Amy became NPCs contributing absolutely nothing. I will not forgive what they did to Tails in Sonic Forces.

I'm not going to expect anything from Sonic Rangers. Let's see if it's another big disappointment like Sonic Forces. Since it was supposed to be called Forces, you could control not only Sonic, but also Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Vector, Espio, Charmy, Shadow, Rogue and Omega. But you only control Sonic, Classic Sonic and the Avatar. What a scam with the title.

Also. It's almost impossible to make fangames based on Mario, because no matter how much hard work and work it is, Nintendo will come to make a C&D to cancel the development of that fangame.

On the other hand, with Sonic it's the opposite. Well, you can make all kinds of fangames you want. As long as they are not like Sonic.exe or Sonic Dreams Collection.

It is for these reasons that you can't compare Sonic with Mario.

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
But it was cool to see Sonic transform into Werehog. It had a very Heavy Metal design. Too bad its levels have no metal music in the background.

Rendangbike

Sonic never said "Gotta go fast"
Sep 26, 2021
Mario falls far short in every aspect. Since it doesn't change anything regarding gameplay and history. He's just a red plumber trying to save the princess from a giant turtle and that's it.
Quality? And actual story? I could also say that Sonic is fighting with Eggman for a particular reason and that's it.
On the other hand, We have gone seeing Mario saving the princess from Bowser to a worldwide popularity. Ask Joe Schmoe on the streets and he knows what a Mario is, but when asked what a Sonic is, he goes "Is that a guy who kissed a princess?". And Mario's gameplay varies!, from exploring an open world to travelling space. Including the spinoff, Mario has him racing karts, enjoying parties and golf, All of the things Sonic tried to do but has been sweeped under the rug because it was a Mario something ripoff.

Also. It's almost impossible to make fangames based on Mario, because no matter how much hard work and work it is, Nintendo will come to make a C&D to cancel the development of that fangame.
Then why is there an entire website called "Mario Fan Games Galaxy" that has been up for 20 years! 20 goddamn years and MFGG is still active! Here's the real reason why Nintendo takes down fangames. Sega also takes down a fangame that took over 8 years but no one else talks about that.

Last edited:

EX Beat

CAUTION: Raw LV.3's on wakeup
Oct 23, 2019
This entire thread is basically "Wahh, people won't make a game for me when I show little to no effort to make it a reality. Wahh, no one care about what I want". Boo-hoo I guess?

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
Hi. I am returning to this thread again, just to tell you that I have tried the fangame Tales of Phantasy: a Sonic and Klonoa RPG and I was very disappointed.

I wanted to play because it features Cosmo from Sonic X. I imagined that it was going to be a character focused on magic (a character with high magic stats but low physics stats). And that he would focus on using healing and support magic, in addition to her botanokinesis. Something similar to Aerith from Final Fantasy VII. And that if you had Tails and Cosmo in your party. Tails would receive a buff, becoming a very strong character.

But the character was practically unfinished and with nothing to highlight, making him a very useless character. Also, the game was practically unfinished and unpolished, it was basically a demo that was made out of pure haste and you just explore the map with very strong enemies almost impossible to defeat.

If you dare to try this game, I leave you a link:

This disappointed me a lot, as this is one of the few Sonic fangames that dares to include characters not only from video games. But also from series and comics like AOSTH, SatAM, Archie, Fleetway, Underground and Sonic X. I don't understand why Sonic fangames based on series and comics, are the ones that end up being games with very good ideas but poorly executed and give us results like these?

DaisukeDoi

Super Mod
Aug 22, 2020
This disappointed me a lot, as this is one of the few Sonic fangames that dares to include characters not only from video games. But also from series and comics like AOSTH, SatAM, Archie, Fleetway, Underground and Sonic X. I don't understand why Sonic fangames based on series and comics, are the ones that end up being games with very good ideas but poorly executed and give us results like these?
If you don't like these games, then why don't you do it yourself? RPG Maker is pretty easy and fun to pick up. Don't expect people to fulfill your fangame fantasies.

Arrietty

Marble Zone
Aug 20, 2020
Again, you can attempt making it yourself instead of demanding others to do so. That is the point of fangames.

I don't understand why Sonic fangames based on series and comics, are the ones that end up being games with very good ideas but poorly executed and give us results like these?
It's likely because adapting non-gaming media in a form of a fangame is much harder to pull off because there is no good pre-existing blueprint for that as cartoons/comics are a totally different medium from video games. That is why fangames based on the actual games succeeds far more, the blueprint is already there.

This isn't to say you can't successfully adapt, but it's a bit unreasonable to expect so many fangame adapations of something that isn't really easy to pull off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsukiru

JPC

Green Hill Zone
Dec 3, 2019
I don't like it. I would have preferred better a game based on the original Sonic Boom concept when it was called Sonic Synergy.

Not a parody smash clone game where the characters fall punch each other until they fly through the skies. If I want to play a fighting game, I'd rather play KOF or Street Fighter.

Tsukiru

Mirror World
Feb 10, 2022
You keep complaining about how this isn't anything you want. Well then make what you want. Otherwise stop having a stick up your arse complaining that not everyone is making what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.