don't click here

Sonic Paradigm

Paradigm

Green Hill Zone
Mar 20, 2023
I am not good at coding, but as a pet project, I am making a Sonic fangame in the GDevelop engine. The 1st demo is out now.
If you have any feedback, good or bad, please respond :)

Metalsonic3 // Jargonfox

Spring Yard Zone
Sep 5, 2017
Finland
Feels like some of my earliest game projects, you definitely still got a long way to go but hey, gotta have a start somewhere. Here's a few things that were weird and/or off to me:

Game doesn't move on after the SEGA logo, you need to hit Space to move forward, but then at the title screen you need to hit Enter?

"Ok... Here's the plot of the game" - delete this line in the intro, it'll instantly feel a touch more professional when there's not a force outside the game telling it's story. And why do I now have to press X?

When I pause the game with Enter, I need to hit P to get back? Why yet another button? Just make everything work with Space, or with Enter. Not everything needs to be a seperate button. Also, listing the controls in your game's info would be great.

Can't jump while rolling.

Enemies instakill and rings are pointless.

Jumping animation stops after falling for a while, making some jumps at enemies deadly.

Rolling into anything makes you jump.

Sometimes if you jump on a spring, then land, and then jump normally, your jump has the force of the spring.

Paradigm

Green Hill Zone
Mar 20, 2023
Thanks for the critiques! I did take them into consideration.
I fixed most of the problems you said.
I have no idea why I put the "Here's the plot of the game" sentence. I wrote it many months ago, I guess I wanted to feel like Sonic was narrating it? Now that you said it, it makes no sense and thus I removed it.
Enter pauses, and P unpauses because if I coded it so Enter was pressed in the pause screen, it would go back and forth from the level to the pause screen.
I thought you could jump while rolling. I guess the problem is on your end somehow.
I can't code Sonic losing rings and them all flying away, but I did give rings a purpose. They now function as HP, when Sonic touches an enemy the rings drain until they hit zero, only then do you die now.
I have no idea how to fix the jumping glitch, but it's funny that that's basically the same thing as the "Killing Dead" glitch from Sonic Robo Blast 1 a quarter century ago! I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same. There is a solution- rolling makes it moot.
The rolling animation is the same thing as the jumping animation, if Sonic jumps on an enemy he automatically jumps.
Springs- I put it so if Sonic jumps on a spring, his jump height changes to a bigger number for 1 second, and then automatically jumps. I also have no idea how to fix this.
Most of these will be fixed in demo 2, with the first 5 zones. Based on my pace of work it will probably be ready in a month or 2, but that depends on how motivated I am to work on it.